Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 12:42 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,770,684 times

Advertisements

Chicago is fun, but it's going to be much more expensive than NWI. Unless you're going to be out-on-the-town every night, it just isn't worth it. You can always park your car & take the South Shore into Chicago. My daughter & her friends take the SS all the time when they go. My daughter lives in LaPorte, with many friends in the Michigan City - LaPorte area.

You can find a nice place in Portage or Chesterton, and will be close enough to the Expressway or Toll Road for the ride into Gary.

I used to live in Merrillville. It's close to Gary, but you will need to choose your neighborhood wisely. Hobart would be another location you could look at & still be close to Gary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2008, 09:11 PM

11 posts, read 36,021 times
This might be simple city, but living outside the big cities is best. The commute might be longer but you get away from it all. Houses are cheaper, the schools are smaller, crime is not like the big cities and the neighbors are just hometown people. Is that what a homie is? Just get away, get outside the big city...

Old 01-02-2009, 06:24 PM

6 posts, read 13,948 times
ChemicalGrl I am in a similar going to be working in the crown point area, single mid 20's looking for a similar atmosphere like royal oak or Novi.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:37 AM

35 posts, read 133,099 times
Crown Point has many apartments and has a few bars that are fun. It is safe and close enough to Gary that it would only be a 20-25 minute drive to work. And then if you want to head into the city just hop on the train and go downtown.

Old 01-25-2009, 11:24 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,205,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemicalGrl View Post
Hello!

I am relocating to NW IN (going to be working in Gary) from near Detroit. I am in my early 30's, no kids, and single. I am looking for somewhere to live that may be equivalant to the Royal Oak area here. Someplace that has lots of stuff going on and is a good place to meet people. Does anyone have any suggestions? It seems most of the posts on here are concerning good family towns, which I hope to need in the future, but right now I am looking for a more social atmosphere.

Thanks!
I am also from Detroit. Moved to South Bend last summer. Havent found fun yet. Just kidding. I have a family so I am kept busy with that. I would say Chicago is what your looking for.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:33 AM

35 posts, read 151,458 times
Default Fun in NW Indiana ? you gotta be kid'n

Quote:
Hello!

I am relocating to NW IN (going to be working in Gary) from near Detroit. I am in my early 30's, no kids, and single. I am looking for somewhere to live that may be equivalant to the Royal Oak area here. Someplace that has lots of stuff going on and is a good place to meet people. Does anyone have any suggestions? It seems most of the posts on here are concerning good family towns, which I hope to need in the future, but right now I am looking for a more social atmosphere.

Thanks!
Best place I know of is in Michigan City.
Washington Park, the zoo, the Pier & the Lighhouse
The Marine's.
Try some of the newer places. You should be able to bring up some of the 'Hot spots'. on the Internet.
A place like ' Royal Oak', OMG - I didn't realize there was another place like Royal Oak.
Your working in Gary - wow !

Old 02-17-2009, 02:24 PM

35 posts, read 151,458 times
Default Wheres the fun in Michigan City !

Quote:
Hello!

Thanks!
If you enjoy politics, you might try keeping tract of the Judges in Michigan City.
Read articles about Jennifer Evans & Judge Chapala, that may get u a laugh !

Old 02-18-2009, 02:09 PM

801 posts, read 2,576,057 times
This is a very stable place to live, but not very lively. I had more "fun" living in Toledo. Toledo was livelier. There seemed to be a wider variety of people, and a lot of new people moving to the area all the time, which keeps things fresh. We don't have that kind of energy in NWI.

Western NY and Royal Oak have always been appealing to me.

Here in NWI the bars here are not all bad, there are a few that have been upgraded and remodeled... so if you hunt around, you can find a modern martini lounge, a place for microbrews, or a beachy scene (if you drive into New Buffalo which is only about half-an-hour away.) There is no "strip" of good bars, they are spread out through various towns.

There's no shortage of eating places, restaurants, bakeries, bar & grill's.

Miller Beach is a little artsy, and is the best area in Gary, it is for the most part safe, although I would say you still need a healthy dose of street smarts if you want to call it home.

If you want to help create a new scene, there are some things going on. Michigan City is looking at the idea of creating an arts/gallery district in its old downtown. Portage just built a new beach. There are a few community business groups that are very welcoming of new ideas. There are several community theaters (LaPorte, Chesterton, Valpo) if you want to get involved. All of these are a real opportunity if you want to get involved.

For shopping the best things we have are Westfield in Merrillville, the outlet mall in Michigan City, and the farmers markets in summertime. They are all nice.

For dance clubs, a "with it" feel, great indie movies, shows, you probably want to plan a lot of weekend trips to Chicago. It will take you an hour or less from most places in the NWI region. Lincoln Square is a fun area of the city, so is the South Loop, and Lakeview. The scene in Chicago is larger and more diverse than anything you'd find in the midwest.

Everything in NWI is smaller than you'd find elsewhere in the midwest. We don't really have a college town (Valpo U is rather insular and religious, and the branches of state schools here really have no personality and no leadership for growth.) In our towns you might sometimes get the feeling you just walked 20 or 30 years into the past. That's not all bad - those were safer and quieter times - but you have to get away sometimes.

There are good people here, and you can have fun by enjoying nature, enjoying your community, but its definitely a lot more quiet and more stable.

You're best off, I think, living somewhere off I-94 so you can move around the region easily. Munster is a good choice. And there are lots of other communities along 94 that are close to the lakefront.

Same advice goes if you move to Chicago - Hyde Park, Lakeview, South Loop, Loyola area - are all accessible using Lake Shore Drive or I-94.

About twice a month you'll likely get caught in really bad traffic going from Chicago to/from NWI -- and that could be at any time of the day or night. On days like that, it might be a 2 hour commute. Most of the time its somewhere between 45 minutes and an hour fifteen. From Munster, Highland, or even Gary you might be able to get to the city in 30-35 sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana