Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2021, 11:14 PM

5 posts, read 5,423 times

Advertisements

Hi, we're yet another Chicago family departing our Chicago suburb. We've been wanting to move rurally for years, get chickens (we actually had a couple, until the cops came because they're illegal), set up our beehive (also illegal here), and just get away from the city. The crime is getting crazy in my neighborhood, and it seems like the drivers on the south side have gotten so much worse since Covid.

However, we drive through from Munster to Saint John and the rows of identical, gray subdivisions being built are kinda off-putting. At least it's not what we are seeking.

We'd like some land, something not too close to neighbors. We homeschool so school districts are not a concern outside of home value. I currently work on the south side of Chicago but am willing to look at other employment.

So we are looking at properties in Cedar Lake, unincorporated St. John (the town itself looks like it's getting crowded?), and Lowell. Our budget was around $250k but we realized with Indiana taxes being so much lower than Illinois (!) that maybe $300-350k is doable?

We need at least a 2.5 acre property. That's not our requirement, it's Lake County's requirement if you want to have chickens, goats, etc., under their hobby farm regulations. We almost purchased a beautiful, rural, unincorporated 2 acre lot, but I spoke to the Lake County Planning Commissioner myself. She was very nice and gracious but firm on no chickens being allowed there per current law. I was shocked there were even rules at all. She did say they want to 'modernize' the chicken laws at some point the future.

Lowell seems very nice!

Maybe it's just my impression, but in Cedar Lake it looks like Chicago families have bought up all the lakefront and pushed all the native Indiana families outward. I'm not sure how comfortable I am with that dynamic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2021, 04:02 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,113,696 times
Have you considered Porter County?

Looks like you can have up to 8 chickens in unincorporated Porter County if the parcel size is 2.5 acres or more. And actually, you can still have 4 chicken on less than an acre.

https://www.porterco.org/DocumentCen...ng-of-Chickens

Land can be at a premium in parts of the county so 2.5 acres may be difficult at that price point, but in the southern Porter townships, especially southeast of Valpo you might have more luck. Maybe also the South Haven area. And if you’re willing to do less than 2.5 acres you’ll have way more options.

Old 10-02-2021, 04:12 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,113,696 times
I just re read your post and see that work is on the south side. That may be a hefty commute from Porter County, depending where in Porter County you are and where the job is. Somewhere like Portage or Chesterton might be slightly easier as they’re closer to 80/94 and the skyway. Not sure what their rules on chickens are though, or what’s available in the unincorporated areas.

Old 10-18-2021, 11:05 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,668,285 times
First off, NWI is not as cheap as you think anymore! With all the people from Illinois moving here it has substantially raised home prices!

I can tell you that you can cross St. john off your list as most homes are selling for well over $350K here (upwards of $500k plus) and not many lots available for sale (if any) with over 2.5 acres. You also won't find 2.5 acres in Muster! Most people are moving more South as
St. John is almost built out anyway. People are buying in Cedar Lake and Crown Point. Not sure where you're getting the info that people from Illinois are pushing Hoosiers away from the lakefront in Cedar Lake, but you are looking to buy here from Illinois too, right? Lot's of people have moved here from Illinois in the last 5 years! Lowell is also a good option, but now you're getting pretty far from your Chicago job and depending on what you do for a living, you won't find the same pay here. Not even close!

Something else to consider, even though property taxes are lower, there's a County tax. Lake County is 1.5% of your total income. Whether you work in Indiana or not, you have to pay that on top of your property taxes. Every County in Indiana has a County tax, but each county is taxed differently. This is also on top of your regular State income tax.

Can you find a house here with 2.5 acres for under $350k? Yes, but it will be a challenge and it most likely will need work. Also not sure why you would think there wouldn't rules here on keeping livestock?

Last edited by CGab; 10-18-2021 at 11:26 PM..

Old 12-13-2021, 02:05 PM

18 posts, read 25,370 times
Hi - I'm a few mths late to this one but we recently moved to unincorporated DeMotte, like noted above, its not a super close commute to Chicago, and its not very cheap housing, but we have some neighbors with chickens (a rooster we get to hear daily) so Jasper County could be an option. Maybe Hebron or parts of crown point could be an option as well.

Old 03-26-2022, 03:18 PM

1,452 posts, read 1,370,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burbmama View Post
Hi - I'm a few mths late to this one but we recently moved to unincorporated DeMotte, like noted above, its not a super close commute to Chicago, and its not very cheap housing, but we have some neighbors with chickens (a rooster we get to hear daily) so Jasper County could be an option. Maybe Hebron or parts of crown point could be an option as well.

Try Thayer or Lake Village

Old 09-10-2022, 08:34 PM

4 posts, read 39,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDawg View Post
Try Thayer or Lake Village
Lake Village's [url]https://ecode360.com/33895155[/url]

Restrictions.
A.
Size of property and number of chickens.
(1)
Properties 15,000 square feet to one acre are allowed six chickens.
(2)
Properties between one acre and two acres are allowed eight chickens.
(3)
Properties larger than two acres are allowed 20 chickens.
B.
No person shall keep a rooster. Only hens are allowed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana