Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 04:17 PM

17,371 posts, read 14,613,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericamarie View Post
Thanks for the help. My husband has now been looking at Schererville (because he read that Money Magazine named it a best city last year). Is it a suburb like the northern burbs of Chicago? I am not looking for that type of atmosphere, but I don't mind smaller burbs.
Also, if you have the name of a real estate agent, I would love to have his/her name.
I think most of the Chicago suburbs (except for inner ring ones like Evanston & Oak Park) are pretty interchangable with Schereville, Dyer, Munster, etc.

As for nightlife, you're going to be hard pressed to find anything close to Chicago ... but the Star Plaza Theatre in Merrillville does have some good concerts/comedians/shows from time to time. And for dining - there are some very good fine dining restaurants sprinkled around ... you just have to look.

My husband and I moved out here (Valparaiso) in 2001 - we have children and schools were our main consideration. I grew up in Chicago and he in the southern suburbs - I don't miss it at all.

A hidden gem to view our local real estate market is here. It's the public portal to the Greater Northwest Indiana Association of Realtors MLS site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 04:20 PM

5 posts, read 31,112 times
Angry Stay away from Dyer

Schererville, St John, OK.

Dyer is $61 million in debt from some very bad management, IMO, regarding its failing TIF district. It is trying annexation which will double the size of the town. Residents being annexed are strongly opposed and it looks to be a long and costly court battle. Be careful about buying in the unincorporated area, too, because of the instability this will cause to property values and taxes.

Make sure you are in either the Town of Schererville or the Town Corporation (not just township) of St John.
. This can be confusing as both town and township are named ST John.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:14 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,478,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
At the intersection of Lincolnway, Sturdy & LaPorte - right where Dairy Queen is.

And this is actually kind of funny - instructions on how to drive it ... LOL:

Police Dept. Instructions (http://www.valparaisopolice.org/roundabout.htm - broken link)
I knew a blonde who got lost on aroundabout once!

Old 05-29-2008, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
I knew a blonde who got lost on aroundabout once!
LOL!

I torture my kids by driving around and around in the circle. The younger one thinks it's hysterical ... the older one is just embarrassed.

Old 05-29-2008, 06:48 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
I do it too ... I do it while saying "whoa, whoa, whoa". My kids are young enough to laugh. Not so sure it's going to be the case in a couple years.

Old 05-30-2008, 11:00 AM

863 posts, read 2,784,073 times
Is there a new hotel right next to this roundabout? If so, I was there earlier this year and made a couple of drivers mad by not following directions. It was my first time driving on one of those.

Old 05-30-2008, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skye1974 View Post
Is there a new hotel right next to this roundabout? If so, I was there earlier this year and made a couple of drivers mad by not following directions. It was my first time driving on one of those.
Yes - it's like a Days Inn or a Best Western (something along those lines) ... it's behind Dairy Queen. (Actually it's owned by the DQ owners.)

I drive it, oh, about twice a week ... you can pretty much tell by out of county/state license plates who's going to have a problem navigating it. There's a lot of horn honking going on around that roundabout from time to time.

Old 05-31-2008, 08:59 AM

186 posts, read 448,764 times
So, how does Schererville compare to Valpo? Any news on Hobart? I keep seeing these names in the forums and it looks like they have nice, cheaper houses, but is that for a reason? Is it not as nice as valpo? Thanks!

Old 05-31-2008, 09:49 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
More congestion in Schererville and the schools aren't as good as Valpo (ducking right now). Hobart (pronounced Ho-bert) is an up and coming community, blue collar, putting tons of money into their school system.

Old 08-27-2008, 02:37 PM

19 posts, read 68,929 times
Schererville compare to Valpo?

Schereville is almost a sub of Chicago, because all of these towns are connected to each other. Safety is questionable as is Dyer, St.John, Munster, Hammond and all are connected to Gary, Indiana.

I grew up in a little town named Wheeler, between Hobart and Valparaiso. Valpo, Hobart, Crown Point, and Lowell, Indiana are all very safe towns. These towns are about an hours drive to Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana