Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-09-2011, 08:07 PM
 
3,004 posts, read 5,151,479 times
Reputation: 1547

Advertisements

I do know people Northwest and this comes from their own personal experience. Without naming names, one person I know thought all was good was in the hood as well but later found out that just wasn't the case.

As far as socio-economic status vs. race, we will just have to disagree with the when it comes to NWI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-10-2011, 05:34 AM
 
2,157 posts, read 5,492,914 times
Reputation: 1572
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
I do know people Northwest and this comes from their own personal experience. Without naming names, one person I know thought all was good was in the hood as well but later found out that just wasn't the case.

As far as socio-economic status vs. race, we will just have to disagree with the when it comes to NWI.
Well I know people too so maybe you just hang around an overall different crowd...well, hey there are bound to be people who feel uncomfortable at times. However, usually that subsides after some time.

As far as your later statement, that's fine..we can disagree..but when people tend to victimize themselves, they tend to feel like people are more racist towards them when, if anything, its classist (not saying one is that much better than the other anyway).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2011, 06:41 AM
 
811 posts, read 2,337,844 times
Reputation: 644
I think you're both right, racism and classism are both prevalent in NWI these days. I do think it is becoming less of racism and more of classism, however. The interesting thing about NWI when talking about this is that race and class in this area GENERALLY coincide. What I mean by that is that there isn't and hasn't been a town in NWI that is predominantly black, yet still upper class as you may find in Illinois in a town like Olympia Fields. Because of that, I agree that people in this area generally link the two together, race with class. Is it right? No. But people base things on their experiences, and that's what most people who have grown up in the area and lived here their entire lives have experienced. Sure, there are several exceptions, however, they are still the exceptions to that norm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2011, 04:05 AM
 
2,157 posts, read 5,492,914 times
Reputation: 1572
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
I've said it several times since being on this forum and I'll say it again. Gary isn't Indianapolis or Cincy or any other city where people try to make a name for themselves. In Gary it's very simple, you don't bother them, they won't bother you. You stay out of their business and they will stay out of yours. Problem, too many nosy people. Other than that, there are plenty of neighborhoods in Gary where you don't see crime, people keep their yards up and parents are parents. Like any other place, those neighborhoods never get talked about because it's bad for ratings. I originally grew up in 2 minute walk from Wirt, never a victim of a crime. I've also lived in Morningside in Glen Park and never a victim of a crime. My grandmother used to live in Small farms. The apartment complex was quiet. The surrounding neighborhood was quiet, houses are still well kept, right around banneker (one of the best elementary schools in the state btw). My mother and sisters still live off of 11th avenue on the west side and they don't get crime in their neighborhood.

Gary is just like any other midsize to large city, it has crime. It has good neighborhoods and bad ones. You are not going to get shot at on every corner or mugged. If you stay out of the drug trade in Gary, you can lead a very quiet life believe it or not.
Seems like this woman was just minding her own business and pumping gas....the only thing I would blame her for is for doing this in Gary with her child.....but, if you leave "them" alone then "they" will leave you alone, right?

Baby in car when Schererville woman is carjacked, raped
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2011, 06:53 PM
 
Location: Chicago town
21 posts, read 34,629 times
Reputation: 23
As a semi-frequent visitor to Gary (when I was working, the Housing Authority was one of our clients), I had 3 rules to dealing with the city:

1.) Don't start s***
2.) Don't go down the side streets
3.) Don't show fear

Gary is a very shady city, but honestly from all my experiences, it's a place that's looks scarier than it is (Well, marginally. The most terrifying places I've ever had to go is a tie between the west side of Chicago and Detroit. Much, much more terrifying). Most of the murders are just the residents killing each other, and the people walking up and down the streets just mind their own business. The most notable experience I've had there is a conversation with a guy outside the Housing Authority about a passing woman's posterior. Not so scary.

However, some of those neighborhoods look like someone carpet bombed the city. Some city beautification wouldn't kill them. Plus it's criminal to have let that beautiful Methodist church fall into ruin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2011, 07:03 AM
 
Location: Whiteville Tennessee
8,262 posts, read 18,487,747 times
Reputation: 10150
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Awesome View Post
As a semi-frequent visitor to Gary (when I was working, the Housing Authority was one of our clients), I had 3 rules to dealing with the city:

1.) Don't start s***
2.) Don't go down the side streets
3.) Don't show fear

Gary is a very shady city, but honestly from all my experiences, it's a place that's looks scarier than it is (Well, marginally. The most terrifying places I've ever had to go is a tie between the west side of Chicago and Detroit. Much, much more terrifying). Most of the murders are just the residents killing each other, and the people walking up and down the streets just mind their own business. The most notable experience I've had there is a conversation with a guy outside the Housing Authority about a passing woman's posterior. Not so scary.

However, some of those neighborhoods look like someone carpet bombed the city. Some city beautification wouldn't kill them. Plus it's criminal to have let that beautiful Methodist church fall into ruin.
"Plus it's criminal to have let that beautiful Methodist church fall into ruin."
I THINK THE BAPTISTS DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2011, 01:31 AM
 
Location: South Chicagoland
4,112 posts, read 9,067,778 times
Reputation: 2084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake County IN View Post
Most of L.A.'s murders happened in South Central, Compton, and Watts.

They're NOT spread over a large area.
Do you mean L.A County or the city of Los Angeles? You do know that Compton is an L.A suburb, right? A murder in Compton, California is not a murder in Los Angeles, California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2011, 03:58 AM
 
Location: Chicago, IL SouthWest Suburbs
3,522 posts, read 6,103,067 times
Reputation: 6130
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Awesome View Post
As a semi-frequent visitor to Gary (when I was working, the Housing Authority was one of our clients), I had 3 rules to dealing with the city:

1.) Don't start s***
2.) Don't go down the side streets
3.) Don't show fear

Gary is a very shady city, but honestly from all my experiences, it's a place that's looks scarier than it is (Well, marginally. The most terrifying places I've ever had to go is a tie between the west side of Chicago and Detroit. Much, much more terrifying). Most of the murders are just the residents killing each other, and the people walking up and down the streets just mind their own business. The most notable experience I've had there is a conversation with a guy outside the Housing Authority about a passing woman's posterior. Not so scary.

However, some of those neighborhoods look like someone carpet bombed the city. Some city beautification wouldn't kill them. Plus it's criminal to have let that beautiful Methodist church fall into ruin.
Here lies a problem you beautify an area like the parts of Gary or w side of chicago and it falls right back into despair.
To be fair and honest this would happen if it was a white, black or latino neighborhood like nwi said its class and not race but the point is you havea segment of the population that unfortunatley not appreciate the beautification.
Some just do not appreciate a well kept yard or home or even respecting others property when it comes to this matter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2011, 10:45 AM
 
Location: Chicago town
21 posts, read 34,629 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
Here lies a problem you beautify an area like the parts of Gary or w side of chicago and it falls right back into despair.
To be fair and honest this would happen if it was a white, black or latino neighborhood like nwi said its class and not race but the point is you have a segment of the population that unfortunately not appreciate the beautification.
Some just do not appreciate a well kept yard or home or even respecting others property when it comes to this matter
Very good point, I completely forgot about that. You plant flowers, people will step on them. You plant trees, people will carve gang signs in them. You build playgrounds, people disassemble them and sell the parts for scrap metal.

Welp, there goes my good idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2011, 11:40 AM
 
Location: Chicago, IL SouthWest Suburbs
3,522 posts, read 6,103,067 times
Reputation: 6130
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Awesome View Post
Very good point, I completely forgot about that. You plant flowers, people will step on them. You plant trees, people will carve gang signs in them. You build playgrounds, people disassemble them and sell the parts for scrap metal.

Welp, there goes my good idea.
Then on the same side too if you just touch one persons life with a playground or a park its all worth the effort
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top