Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 12:10 PM

32 posts, read 184,540 times

Advertisements

I am a single male looking to relocate to Chicago area from California. I have been looking at some pretty descent apartments in the Miller Beach area of Gary, which I suppose is the "nice" part of Gary. I was wondering if anyone could give me some feedback on the Miller Beach area and if Gary has good access to the El train or whatever train that runs into Chicago and how long it takes to get into Chicago. Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 06:50 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,720,063 times
If you're a single male, why don't you look in Chicago??? You'll probably end up going there for afterwork functions and general mayhem anyway ...

Old 06-01-2008, 10:29 PM

32 posts, read 184,540 times
I am definitely considering living closer into the city, but Gary is so cheap. I will have more money left over to go out and party if I live in Gary.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:32 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,720,063 times
There's a reason ... I wouldn't want to get off the south shore train late at night in Gary after a night of whoopdeedoing it in Chicago.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:33 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,480,110 times
Unless you are moving from Compton or East LA, you have NO IDEA what you are about to do if you move to Gary! Good luck though!

Old 06-02-2008, 04:13 PM

17 posts, read 102,544 times
Being that you want to move to the Miller area or the "good part" of Gary, I would actually say that you should be fine. I have heard of all types of people moving to Miller, even as far as Atlanta and California (like yourself) who go there to purchase great beach front property or property close to the beach. As a Gary,IN native, I will say (as much as I hate to admit it), that the town may seem desolate to outsiders, however, I believe (as well as real estate investors), that the city of Gary, is on the verge of a huge come up or come back...whatever you want to call it. As far as crime, in my personal opinion, it is one of those places where if you mind your business you'll be fine. I say move to Miller, there are wonderful condos and townhomes being built right now!! It is cheaper than living in Chicago and it's only about 30 mins. away from Chicago. You moving to the Miller area in Gary, IN depends on whether or not you want to be an urban pioneer.

Good luck and best of wishes!!

Old 06-02-2008, 06:12 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,739,536 times
Since you said you wanted to rent an apartment, I think that's a better idea than buying a house. You need to get a feel for the area before you take on a mortgage. Especially since you are not from the region.

If cheap living quarters, that are close to Chicago, is what you're looking for, I'd look into the Whiting area first. It's much closer to Chicago, and safer.

That would give you time to get a feel for the Midwest, and decide where you want to settle in at.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:49 PM

42 posts, read 189,159 times
I wouldnt live in gary. Miller beach, although somewhat nice, is 2 mins away from some heavy industry and the rest of the city is pure blight. I suggest, Munster, Whitting or you could just move into the city.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:22 PM

3 posts, read 24,007 times
Hey, take it from Capt. Dan seriously! Im originally from East Oakland (VERY BAD!!) and moved to Gary at age 14 (for 10 years), and let me tell you, Oakland is where its at!! I definately would not do it. At least try like Munster, or even Chi (anywhere), but I WOULD NOT do Gary! Thank God Im outta there!

Old 06-07-2008, 06:51 PM

13 posts, read 73,226 times
Don't move to Whiting.. We're in the "robertsdale" part and my fiance's car was broken into and they stole EVERYTHING in it, they should have just taken the whole car instead of leaving us with insurance to deal with. Also, there was a truck four houses down that was broken into.. They stole all of his work toosl...We're moving in the next two years (after we get married next year) to Munster, schererville or highland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana