Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 07:59 AM

33 posts, read 120,264 times

Advertisements

I want to move to Indiana... to Lake county but I have some questions:

- I would like to know the average price of the gas in this State (V-Power if possible, if not, regular from Shell)

- Which are the best cities. I'm looking for a city with a good security and normal prices (not the fanciest ones, but not the gangs ones)

- % of tax on food items and on non food items.

- How much is the rent for a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment? A regular apartment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 01:53 PM

17,426 posts, read 14,650,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Percy82 View Post
I want to move to Indiana... to Lake county but I have some questions:

- I would like to know the average price of the gas in this State (V-Power if possible, if not, regular from Shell)

- Which are the best cities. I'm looking for a city with a good security and normal prices (not the fanciest ones, but not the gangs ones)

- % of tax on food items and on non food items.

- How much is the rent for a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment? A regular apartment.
Check gasbuddy.com for gas prices.

NWI is mainly blue collar and working/middle class - we really don't have "fancy" communities. If you'll be working in Chgo, stick closer to the state line and more northern Lake communities like Dyer & Munster. If location doesn't necessarily matter, add Schererville & Crown Point to your list.

Zero tax on food - 7% sales tax.

$600'ish for a 1 bedroom and probably $700-$1000 for a 2 bedroom depending on the community.

Old 06-07-2008, 05:34 PM

Thanks for you help!

Tomorrow we'll drive there to see what we like more.

We have preselected :
Portage, Munster, Crown Point, Highland, Valparaiso, Chesterton, Porter,Dyer, Schererville, St John.

I know Valparaiso is a little more far from Chicago but... I kinda like it.

Is the South Shore as bad as people say?

And other question: my wife has been working as a Nanny for a lot of years and she loves kids, so after the moving she will keep working in Chicago but eventually she will stay closer to home.
Does anybody know if there are Nanny jobs around those cities?

Thanks!!!

Old 06-07-2008, 05:55 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,335,995 times
In what ways have you heard that the South Shore is bad?

It does offer an economical way to commute to and from Chicago. It's usually on time, but I'm never surprised when it's late. The fares are reasonable and parking is free and usually available (at EC, at least). The bad thing is it's crowded and the grind really starts to take its toll when you ride both ways daily. I felt like such a robot taking it both ways everyday and am glad I no longer do so. It would be really frustrating to do that daily for 15+ years, but it does have its advantages.

Most of the towns you mention are fine, but Valpo, Chesterton, Porter and Portage are a hike and belong to Porter County. I consider them far from the Munster/S'ville'Dyer area, let alone Chicago!

Old 06-07-2008, 06:32 PM

I've heard that it's slow, it's always late and crowded.

It will be only for some days that I don't have to work in Chicago and my wife has to go to her job. Something between 4 to 6 times per month.
Most of the times I'll drive.

(What's EC?)

We started to look at Lake County but we definitely like Valparaiso and Chesterton, so... let's add Porter County to the search

With "they are a hike" you mean that they are expensive? good? overrated?
I feel so stupid... what do you mean in the entire phrase?

Thanks!

Old 06-07-2008, 10:02 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,743,229 times
With "they are a hike" you mean that they are expensive? good? overrated?

It means that Valparaiso & Chesterton aren't as close to Chicago, so you will have to travel further to get home.

But IMO, I would travel further & live in Valpo or Chesterton.

Old 06-08-2008, 08:42 AM

17,426 posts, read 14,650,567 times
Valpo isn't THAT far.

Off peak I can be in downtown in less than an hour by driving.

Peak times, an hour fifteen.

EC = East Chicago.

Old 06-08-2008, 12:01 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,743,229 times
Nope, it sure isn't. And well worth the extra minutes it takes to get there.

Old 06-09-2008, 06:13 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
The South Shore is the only commuter train in and out of Chicago to Indiana. No choices. And with gas prices, sure it's more crowded and since the good folks down in the legislature and our governor could give 2 spits about NW Indiana (sorry, rant), the South Shore is what it is and won't get better ... but I'd still use it.

Ahem, back to earth ... is your wife beholden to only working in Chicago? With all the Chicago people flowing into NW Indiana, I'd imagine there are plenty of nanny gigs between Valpo and Chesterton and more in Lake County ... I believe there is a nanny referral service in Chesterton.

Old 06-09-2008, 06:02 PM

Well, it was a fun Sunday.

We went over to Valpo... but... we didn't like as much as we were thinking.

Then we did some shopping and we went to see some apartments at Schererville. Just to drive around and see how they look like.
They were really different from what we are used to see here at Chicago, so we decided to stop at the leasing office. They showed us a model, gave us some prices and everything. We left the property really happy and looking forward to moving.

Now we are looking for more apartments and they all look really nice but I'm not sure about were we want to move.

Schererville was really nice and we liked it. I've found some apartments in Merrillville and they also look good. I don't remember where I read it but somebody said that Merrillville wasn't safe.

Is that zone a problem? is really that unsafe?

About my wife's work. Right now she's working with a family in Chicago. In September will be her 2nd year but they also want to move in about a year or so.
Well, they already put a signage on the fence and they have an open house on Sundays. They want to get rid of their home as crazy.
So we believe that in less than a year they'll be gone to Minnesota.
So, in the beginning she will work at Chicago (me too) but maybe before they move out she will look for other family closer to our new home.

Thanks for your help!! We really really appreciate it!!!!

Last edited by Percy82; 06-09-2008 at 06:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana