Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 12:21 PM

211 posts, read 947,711 times

Advertisements

My husband and I both work in downtown Chicago and currently live on the NW side in Bucktown. We are currently looking for a home in Highland. Just a smaller 3-4 bedroom home, we do not have kids. I am hoping someone can give me some information on the subdivisions of Highland. We have been looking for about a year and notice that some homes sell very quickly and others stay on the market for a while so it has me wondering about which parts of Highland are better. I know there are some flooding issues so thought this could be part of the reason. A coworker from the area told me Meadows and Lakeside are nice. Any opinions. Also any information on flooding? I grew up in Hessville and remember when I was young a part of Highland being under water at one time. I thought it was over by Wicker Park. I've been living in Chicago now for 16 years so I do not really remember much about the NW Indiana area. Thank you for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 01:25 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,334,661 times
What's your budget? Meadows of Saint George is in Munster, I believe, and is a rather high end subdivision.

Do you plan on starting a family soon? If not and you have the money, NWI may not be the best place. It's boring and there's little in the way of entertainment, dining, etc. It's gone so corporate recently (all big box retail, chain restaurants, etc.) Traffic is still lighter than IL, but I wouldn't be surprised if our traffic is increasing at a faster rate than theirs. Forty-one is going to be a complete disaster once that lifestyle mall is built; it recently took me 15 minutes just from Main to 30.

Old 06-06-2008, 01:46 PM

17,401 posts, read 14,637,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
Do you plan on starting a family soon? If not and you have the money, NWI may not be the best place. It's boring and there's little in the way of entertainment, dining, etc. It's gone so corporate recently (all big box retail, chain restaurants, etc.)
Wow.

We moved to Indiana FROM Illinois because our kids were little and we wanted better for them. From the Homewood/Flossmoor to Valpo - and haven't regretted it for a second.

And, um, we have money too. Go figure.

Yes we have a lot of chain restaurants in NWI - but the last time I checked, so did most Chgo suburbs. I'm not a food snob, but there are great options in Lake & Porter county if you take a second to look around.

And as for entertainment? There are tons of community theatres around the region - we have two theatres here in Valpo ... Chicago Street & Memorial Opera House. (In fact, Annie Get Your Gun opens tonight at the Opera House.) The regional tour of Chicago, The Musical will be at the Star Plaza in Merrillville in July. Jim Gaffigan, Kenny Loggins & Weird Al Yankovic (how's that for variety) will be at the Star Plaza this year too.

Hmmm ... music? How bout the Northwest Indiana Symphony who's playing their 66th season?

I could go on and on about the great things, and great people, of NWI ... it completely bothers the heck out of me when someone casts just a wide judgement about an area that is so diverse.

Ugh.

Old 06-06-2008, 02:26 PM

211 posts, read 947,711 times
I am in my late 30's and husband in his late 40's so not starting a family just want a little peace and quiet. We picked Highland because of the lower housing prices and closeness to Chicago and South Shore line. We did consider Valpo and Porter county but think the commute would be a little too much for us. We are planning to rent out our current Chicago home, (it is 4 miles from downtown, not in the suburbs) so we are looking for a house around $200K. We have weighed the pros and cons as we do enjoy our great restaurants here but we both work in the city and can easily go to one after work. Also we live in a pretty artsy area currently which we will miss. However it will be nice to sleep a night without sirens, have a backyard (we currently have a cement square) to sit in with our dog, and not spend an entire paycheck on groceries and gas (we have the highest sales tax in the country right now and its on food also). I believe the Meadows subdivision is right off 41 but before all that madness where 41 and the other major road meet (is it 30?). I imagine the traffic is probably much lighter then we are used to in the city. It seems like an ideal location since the south shore is also right on 41. I just hope these subdivisions are nice and not in the flood zones. Is flooding still a big problem?

Also how is the South Shore line? Any problems?

Thanks for responding.

Old 06-06-2008, 04:04 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,728,382 times
I'd imagine the South Shore is getting a lot more business between road construction in the city and gas prices ... ahhhh, electric trains!!! I don't know if Illinois people are still flocking to NW Indiana, but if houses are selling fast, I'd imagine that it's Illinois people buying them up! Highland is nice!

As for the box stores and bad food? Are you kidding me??? Yea, no Home Desperates or Wally Worlds in Chicago eh? Please? And the best food in the state of Indiana, overall is in the region. Try living in the vast food wasteland of the rest of the state ... ugh!! I'M HUNGRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!

Old 06-06-2008, 05:53 PM

1,099 posts, read 3,736,207 times
I grew up in the Meadows subdivision of Highland. It is just off Indianapolis Blvd, and rather large. They are all older homes (1970's?) with nice yards as I remember. I loved it there as a kid, perfect for trick-or-treating!

"Frog Hollow" is the area that flooded, at least that's what we called it. Must have been early 1990's. It is closer to Hammond, near 80/94. There is a bus station right over there. If you are heading past Wicker Park towards Hammond, it is down on the other side of that big bridge.

I have taken the South Shore from Hammond to downtown several times, and never had any trouble. My Aunt takes it regularly, and I've never heard of anything from her either. I used to love to take the SS to the art museum and just walk forever downtown.

Wow, what memories, thank you!

Old 06-08-2008, 01:12 PM

71 posts, read 227,902 times
Highland is situated in a great spot for access to 80-94, the tollroad/skyway, and the south shore. As far as the "best" neighborhood in Highland, IMO that's Brantwood. Homes are older - yes - and sell relatively quickly because it is such a nice enclave. There is a lot of character and diversity in the architecture of these homes. People think that Brantwood is in Munster because it is so nice. The neighborhood is located at the southwest corner of Ridge Road and Indianapolis Blvd. Wicker Park (not THAT Wicker Park!) is right across Ridge Road. We moved from there to be closer to my job, but would live there again in a second.

Last edited by RegionAire; 06-08-2008 at 01:17 PM.. Reason: added comments

Old 06-09-2008, 11:12 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,388,720 times
IMO the best parts of Highland are at its southwest areas.
This is the newer part and were you should be looking
Don't believe flooding is a problem. That's mostly by the 80/94 area on the north side

Old 06-10-2008, 05:22 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,741,656 times
The SW corner of Highland is nice, but after a long day at work, why make her commute any longer than it has to be?

The traffic in that area after work would just add to her drive-time.

Old 06-15-2008, 01:23 AM

815 posts, read 2,998,404 times
You will like Highland. It has a nice friendly small town feel. $200,000 will get you a nice house, mostly between 20 to 40 years old. Yes, the nicest ones sell fast even in this market. The new single family houses will be out of your price range, except maybe some of the duplexes or condos. I think you would be happy in many of Highland's subdivisions not just the one's said above. There are lots of ranch style houses with three bedrooms so if you like one level living there will be lots to choose from.

Flooding isn't going to be as big of a problem like in the past. The levy project is close to being finished (should be done in 2009). Most of the town didn't go under in the floods just areas next to the river. Highland isn't any different then any other Chicago area suburb when it comes to flooding, its the nature of living in the midwest near Lake Michigan.

I like living in Highland and my folks do too and they love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana