Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 08:51 AM

3 posts, read 15,543 times

Advertisements

I must say that I agree with RRAH. Even Southern Lake County is different than Northern Lake County. The original "Region" was always Gary, Hammond, and East Chicago, and then their suburbs. Jasper and Newton counties came later since they were too far from Indy and closer to us plus with some of ours and Chicago's Population moving there and commuting for work up North since land is cheaper there. I think that will even slow since Gas Prices have never been higher. I spent thirty three years in the Glen Park section of Gary where my entire family is from and was the last one to get out two years ago where I now Live in Crown Point and yes I'm white with and even have a college degree. I now have nine years in at Mittal Steel (Former Inland Steel in East Chicago, was still inland when I started). I find my new neighbors a world apart from where I came from and really don't fit in too well. They think I am beneath them in not so many words and some type of bad ass rift raft from up North when in fact I was a Gary Police Officer for five years but left for better pay in the mill. I don't know which is worse to tell people, That I am from Gary or was a Gary cop or both. Shame that people think that every single one of us is a bad apple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 09:53 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,333,998 times
from above:
"I don't know which is worse to tell people, That I am from Gary or was a Gary cop or both. Shame that people think that every single one of us is a bad apple."

I fell ya. I was born in Gary and will rarely admit to that fact. Somehow people think you're lower class. Never mind that it was one of the best places to live in the early 60's

Old 12-30-2009, 11:02 PM

2 posts, read 7,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Robo View Post
I must say that I agree with RRAH. Even Southern Lake County is different than Northern Lake County. The original "Region" was always Gary, Hammond, and East Chicago, and then their suburbs. Jasper and Newton counties came later since they were too far from Indy and closer to us plus with some of ours and Chicago's Population moving there and commuting for work up North since land is cheaper there. I think that will even slow since Gas Prices have never been higher. I spent thirty three years in the Glen Park section of Gary where my entire family is from and was the last one to get out two years ago where I now Live in Crown Point and yes I'm white with and even have a college degree. I now have nine years in at Mittal Steel (Former Inland Steel in East Chicago, was still inland when I started). I find my new neighbors a world apart from where I came from and really don't fit in too well. They think I am beneath them in not so many words and some type of bad ass rift raft from up North when in fact I was a Gary Police Officer for five years but left for better pay in the mill. I don't know which is worse to tell people, That I am from Gary or was a Gary cop or both. Shame that people think that every single one of us is a bad apple.
My uncle and dad grew up in Glen Park and my uncle still lives there, but my dad moved to Cedar Lake and died here. My English teacher called us region rats so I googled that and saw this.

Old 12-31-2009, 06:58 AM

17,763 posts, read 39,573,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aar2697 View Post
My uncle and dad grew up in Glen Park and my uncle still lives there, but my dad moved to Cedar Lake and died here. My English teacher called us region rats so I googled that and saw this.
you can buy "region rat" t-shirts!

Old 01-02-2010, 12:41 PM

16 posts, read 50,297 times
Let's admit that the region is basically an extension of the Chicago suburbs which are highly populated in large part due to the people who work in or around Chicago. So to answer the question, the borders of the region would be anywhere where people find it too far to commute to Chicago for work. In my mind, this stretches as far east as La Porte, as far south as Lowell (but not Hebron or Kouts or De Motte), and obviously the Illinois border to the west and lake to the north. Any towns within that area have many residents that commute to Chicago.

Old 01-02-2010, 01:38 PM

4 posts, read 19,812 times
I would say Lake and Porter county, and small portions of La Porte County. These are the counties that get their news from Chicago. So the counties that get their weather info from Chicago I would put them into that category.

Old 01-02-2010, 01:58 PM

867 posts, read 2,129,372 times
I think the census bureau definition is fine

Old 01-02-2010, 05:08 PM

16,814 posts, read 14,206,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustynail8 View Post
I would say Lake and Porter county, and small portions of La Porte County. These are the counties that get their news from Chicago. So the counties that get their weather info from Chicago I would put them into that category.
You would also need to include Newton & Jasper by that definition.

Old 12-05-2010, 05:07 PM

185 posts, read 158,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Robo View Post
Ok, The term Region Rat derives from the lake county area because the little calumet river flows thru and the term "Rat" from the old steel mill term "Millrat" which derives from the huge rat infestations decades ago and the size of them in the steelmills along northern Indiana. Hence a union steelworker employee was a "millrat" and people who lived in a area that was around steel mills were coined region rats just because of the proximity to the mills which helped form the area as we know it and funded the local economies as well as workers and ever support companies and businesses to the mills. We are shunned by the rest of the state of Indiana and made fun of from Chicagoans who think we are still the same as "Indiana Bumpkins" so since we are basically on our own, we have a thick skin and call ourselves Region rats since we fit in nowhere but in our "Region"
pretty much agree with the above. I find it funny that people from chicago think that becuase NWI residence aren't apart of chicago's metro area or they think we are "rural backwards folk common in the rest of the state"... Some of friends in the northwest suburbs(Barrington, Hoffman Estates and Schuamburg) of chicago would joke about me being from as you meantioned.. Indiana bumpkins... its funny becuase i was actually born in chicago city proper and moved to NWI before grammar school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana