Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 07:22 AM

4,176 posts, read 6,332,598 times

Advertisements

That's true. However, some local affiliates (CT, for example) have been able to leverage their location and use it to develop a strong base of white-collar jobs within their own locale. I believe 10% of the global Hedge Fund industry is now in CT. A lot of big-time HF people used to live in CT and commute to NYC for work. Now, they have set up shop in CT itself. Look at Stamford.

Hopefully, this will happen in NWI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 02:50 PM

2 posts, read 8,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
Talk about a pandora's box type question. At the end of the day, the economy is NWI is weak, to say the least. There's the standard stuff (Healthcare, retail, etc.) you have everywhere plus the steel industry and, more recently, gaming. That said, it has very little presence in professional services (financial, IT, etc.) The region doesn't have the world's greatest talent pool either, at least amongst younger adults.
You should look at some other parts of the country. I recently moved to New York state and if you think the econmy of NWI is weak then it must be dead here. They get excited about a Super-Walmart opening up because its adding 30 jobs.
Why would there be any professional services in NWI when they are all in Chicago? If you look at it from their point of view, they will make more money with a central location in Chicago than any where else in the area. Not to many high tech firms in NWI.

Old 08-07-2008, 02:59 PM

211 posts, read 947,423 times
Hello everyone. I have lived in Chicago for 16 years (currently in Bucktown). My husband has been here about 25 years. We are both in corporate finance and work in downtown Chicago. After a couple of years of wrestling with the idea we finally found a house and will be moving to Valparaiso in Sept and commuting to Chicago for work. I have to admit it was a tough decision and most Chicago friends and coworkers think we are insane. I probably won't mind coming to the city everyday since I love the energy (in small doses) and would miss it if I couldn't, my husband however would be happy if he never had to set foot here again. We really do wish there would be more corporate employment oppurtunities in IN and it is one of the things that nearly kept us from moving. I'm also keeping my fingers crossed for that South Shore extension although I was under the impression it is not a very popular idea there. That being said I think what finally pulled us over the border is the rising costs of living in Chicago. Our sales tax went up to 10.25 this year, rising property taxes, decreasing property value, TRAFFIC, high cost of food (we pay taxes on food here), gas, etc and don't even get me started on the packed, broken down, urine scented, metal boxes we call the El. We also noticed ourselves longing for a more peaceful existence, a back yard that isn't a cement square and a fence/garage/house free of spray painted gang signs. We did look in IL and WI a bit but found NW IN to be more of what we want for the price we want to pay. I think NW IN's image (from fellow Chicagoans) is one fearful of change and diversity and mostly uneducated. Also a bunch of cornfields, strip malls and chain restaurants (which is alot of suburbs too if you ask me). However I get these opinions mostly from people who have never really been there except to drive through. I guess if I am trying to make a point it is that maybe IN needs to advertise a bit more of what really is here. Not saying you have to prove yourselves (I guess I should start saying ourselves) but maybe let people know that there is alot going on just a short distance away and maybe they should check it out. Cheaper, nicer homes with great yards, neighbors that care and watch out for each other (I know there are always exceptions to this), lower taxes, good schools, close proximity to Chicago, nice people, less traffic, less grafitti, etc. Alot of people I talked to don't even know about the dunes. So I really think NW IN's image is one based more on ignorance then actual facts because there is no other information to prove otherwise. I reallly do think more people would move/visit if they knew more about it. If people come, businesses will follow. Especially having such an ideal location: close to lake, Chicago, MI, transportation, lower costs, etc. Chicago has lost companies to the sububs so I can see it losing to Indiana also. My opinion may be totally off base but just throwing it out there.

FYI - My husband was one of those people who didn't know about the Dunes and is thrilled that we will be so close.

Old 08-07-2008, 03:26 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cd771 View Post
Hello everyone. I have lived in Chicago for 16 years (currently in Bucktown). My husband has been here about 25 years. We are both in corporate finance and work in downtown Chicago. After a couple of years of wrestling with the idea we finally found a house and will be moving to Valparaiso in Sept and commuting to Chicago for work. I have to admit it was a tough decision and most Chicago friends and coworkers think we are insane. I probably won't mind coming to the city everyday since I love the energy (in small doses) and would miss it if I couldn't, my husband however would be happy if he never had to set foot here again. We really do wish there would be more corporate employment oppurtunities in IN and it is one of the things that nearly kept us from moving. I'm also keeping my fingers crossed for that South Shore extension although I was under the impression it is not a very popular idea there. That being said I think what finally pulled us over the border is the rising costs of living in Chicago. Our sales tax went up to 10.25 this year, rising property taxes, decreasing property value, TRAFFIC, high cost of food (we pay taxes on food here), gas, etc and don't even get me started on the packed, broken down, urine scented, metal boxes we call the El. We also noticed ourselves longing for a more peaceful existence, a back yard that isn't a cement square and a fence/garage/house free of spray painted gang signs. We did look in IL and WI a bit but found NW IN to be more of what we want for the price we want to pay. I think NW IN's image (from fellow Chicagoans) is one fearful of change and diversity and mostly uneducated. Also a bunch of cornfields, strip malls and chain restaurants (which is alot of suburbs too if you ask me). However I get these opinions mostly from people who have never really been there except to drive through. I guess if I am trying to make a point it is that maybe IN needs to advertise a bit more of what really is here. Not saying you have to prove yourselves (I guess I should start saying ourselves) but maybe let people know that there is alot going on just a short distance away and maybe they should check it out. Cheaper, nicer homes with great yards, neighbors that care and watch out for each other (I know there are always exceptions to this), lower taxes, good schools, close proximity to Chicago, nice people, less traffic, less grafitti, etc. Alot of people I talked to don't even know about the dunes. So I really think NW IN's image is one based more on ignorance then actual facts because there is no other information to prove otherwise. I reallly do think more people would move/visit if they knew more about it. If people come, businesses will follow. Especially having such an ideal location: close to lake, Chicago, MI, transportation, lower costs, etc. Chicago has lost companies to the sububs so I can see it losing to Indiana also. My opinion may be totally off base but just throwing it out there.

FYI - My husband was one of those people who didn't know about the Dunes and is thrilled that we will be so close.
Post of the day my dear! I hope you enjoy Valpo. BTW, that was my garbled rep points ... sorry.

Old 08-07-2008, 04:11 PM

2 posts, read 8,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cd771 View Post
I'm also keeping my fingers crossed for that South Shore extension although I was under the impression it is not a very popular idea there.
Quote:
I think NW IN's image (from fellow Chicagoans) is one fearful of change and diversity and mostly uneducated.
I would agree with the "fearful of change" statement. People want jobs there but are unwilling to let the changes that need to happen to get the jobs occur.

The South Shore extension is a great idea and would spur a lot of growth in the area but again with the fear.

Old 08-07-2008, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwizephyr View Post
I would agree with the "fearful of change" statement. People want jobs there but are unwilling to let the changes that need to happen to get the jobs occur.

The South Shore extension is a great idea and would spur a lot of growth in the area but again with the fear.
When we lived in Valpo, I had someone tell me with a straight face that train stations attract lower income people into town ... I didn't know what to say.

Old 08-07-2008, 05:48 PM

382 posts, read 1,053,452 times
The only thing that will 'turn Gary around' if it starts capitalizing on its proximity to Chicago and the Lake. The former US Steel site in South Chicago is going to develop into a high-density neighborhood of 35,000. I suggest Gary stop acting likes its own city and start acting like an extension of Lake Shore Chicago.

NW Indiana has I history of poor planning and sprawl. The highway exits there cater for trucks and heavy manufacturing and the highways are dilapidated and reveal no sense of place. When I'm in Naperville or Wheaton, IL, I feel like I am somewhat apart of Chicago- When I'm in Portage or Valpo, IN, I feel like I'm in confused, suburbanism.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:55 AM

499 posts, read 1,528,038 times
Yeah I guess I've always heard bad things about that area, but to me heavy industry is a GOOD thing nowadays, not a bad thing! Replacing thousands of good paying manufacturing jobs with hundreds of good paying service/medical/biotech jobs like in Durham, NC where I am from has only made the ghetto grow and get worse.

Old 08-12-2008, 12:21 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,300,646 times
I live in E.C. but work in the Loop, and one of my coworkers basically put it the way I would. NWI is to Chicago what Jersey is to NYC. You can take that however you want.

Old 08-12-2008, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
I live in E.C. but work in the Loop, and one of my coworkers basically put it the way I would. NWI is to Chicago what Jersey is to NYC. You can take that however you want.
Yea, that about sums it up. It's getting more and more true everyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana