Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2008, 03:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,875 times

Advertisements

Hubby has a prospective job in munster and I'm trying to do some research on the area. We'd like somewhere with a low(er) cost of living and still be close to restaurants/shopping.
I've seen lots of posts about schools, but we have no kids (and no current plans for kids) ... any suggestions? Hubby said to look at munster, dyer, merriville, scheriville, valporaiso, hobart ... Any of those you'd definitly not recommend?

TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 08:02 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,390,917 times
Since you have no kids and probably want to live near work , schools should not matter so look something more affordable than Munster.
For close to work, look for southern parts of Highland, Dyer and Schererville.
They are pretty similar so look for areas that fit your needs.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:04 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,335,995 times
If you're husband is working in Munster, Valpo is not a good choice. It's quite far. I'd put Hobart and M'ville lower on the list as well; they're not as nice and can be a bit further.

S'ville, St John and Dyer are nice places. They can get expensive, but have reasonable options as well. What's your budget?

Old 08-12-2008, 09:38 PM

17,425 posts, read 14,650,567 times
I'll echo the other posters - Munster, Dyer, St. John.

And the link below might help in your home search - it's the public portal to the NWI Realtor's MLS:

GNIAR MLS

Old 08-13-2008, 10:21 PM

7 posts, read 20,528 times
Munster, Dyer, and Schererville can get pretty expensive starting around the 250's in the older subdivision. I grew up in Dyer for 20 yrs and love the area. I currently live in Hobart, new subdivision, built our house, and about 15 min drive from good bars and restaurants. We might be relocating as well if you thinking about Hobart. There are older parts of Hobart that have smaller houses but there are also several new and nice subdivisions. Hobart is definately more quiet than the Dyer, Munster, Schererville area (also area has a lot more traffic especially with the new plaza going up it will become worse). St. John is nice & quiet too (less taxes, nice and affordable homes, also quiet) but they have well water.

I would suggest either Dyer or Schererville since there are no kids. Munster has higher taxes, pricier homes.

I would NOT recommend Merrillville. Crime is going up and they can't keep their officers. It's only going to get worse. And Valpo is too far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana