Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 05:09 PM

11 posts, read 41,577 times

Advertisements

We will be relocating to the Chicago area later this year. I am really struggling on where we want to live. My Husband is taking a job in downtown Chicago, so he will be commuting. He is provided a car and gas reimbursement, so gas money is not really an issue, and he does not mind a commute.
We have children, so we need an excellent school system. We have heard wonderful things about Valpo, but was wondering if anyone has any recommendations on where the best places to live.
THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 05:44 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,530,577 times
If you're looking to live in NW Indiana specifically, then Valpo is a nice community, but it would be a haul by car. I drove that commute one morning myself while up there on business. It took me an 1 hour, 5 minutes, to get to downtown Chicago. I left at 6:15 a.m. to make it that quickly.

A quicker car commute can be had by living in Munster, which is another nice community.

Of course, the South Shore train can get you into The Loop as well. From Valpo it's about 20 minutes to the closest station

Old 08-18-2008, 06:05 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,720,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slol9056 View Post
We will be relocating to the Chicago area later this year. I am really struggling on where we want to live. My Husband is taking a job in downtown Chicago, so he will be commuting. He is provided a car and gas reimbursement, so gas money is not really an issue, and he does not mind a commute.
We have children, so we need an excellent school system. We have heard wonderful things about Valpo, but was wondering if anyone has any recommendations on where the best places to live.
THANKS!
We lived in Valpo and the schools are simply the best in Porter County. Since hubby's commuting expenses are taken care of and he doesn't mind I'd say look there! I'd suggest you move as far north in the school district as possible to be able to get to the toll road ... the Flint Lake area is very nice.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:16 PM

17,371 posts, read 14,618,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Of course, the South Shore train can get you into The Loop as well. From Valpo it's about 20 minutes to the closest station
Valpo is pretty sprawling now - I live on the south-west side and it would take me at least a half an hour to get to the station in Chesterton ... if not longer.

A note of caution when looking at homes in Valparaiso - you really need to specify with your agent that you need Valpo schools ... a Valpo address doesn't necessarily equal Valpo schools.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:16 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,333,077 times
I would recommend not living in Valpo if your husband will be working downtown. That's a long and agonizing drive; it's just a matter of time until it takes its toll. In Summer, construction will be the villain and, in Winter, it's the weather. He may say that he doesn't mind the commute, but he will eventually. I think Valpo is a long drive from the East side of Lake County (Munster/S'ville/Dyer, etc.)

He could take the train from the closest station to Valpo, but that can be frustrating as well. NWI has enough school systems that are adequate, but it's up to you and your children to make sure they succeed. They can still do well form a 'bad' system and poorly form a 'good' one, so that's on you and your children.

I'd recommend living closer to Chicago, either in Lake County or IL.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:17 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,333,077 times
West side of Lake County, that is.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:30 PM

990 posts, read 3,185,780 times
Come on over to the IL side, you might be looking for an Orland or Tinley Park.

Old 08-19-2008, 06:37 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,720,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerichoHW View Post
Come on over to the IL side, you might be looking for an Orland or Tinley Park.
Yea, if they want to be taxed to death.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:46 AM

2 posts, read 3,940 times
Default Why Not City Living?

I realize there are options other than the city but have you considered living in the city? Remove the commute and find a neighborhood with the quality of living you are looking for.

Nothing drains on the soul more than that dreaded commute!

jgra

Old 08-19-2008, 09:17 AM

211 posts, read 947,487 times
Since you have kids I would not recommend living in the city unless you are prepared to pay an extremely high price for private school (Chicago public school system is pretty bad). I currently live in Bucktown which is a very nice area of Chicago and if I had kids I probably wouldn't want them outside playing by themselves although we do have a lot of kids in the neighborhood. Also the lots are very small and prices are very high if you do look here so be prepared. My husband and I are moving to Valpo. We both work downtown. While nervous about the commute we HOPE it will be worth it. I have coworkers who live all over IL and have similar commutes as well as one who commutes every day from Milwaukee, WI, one from Rockford and one from Woodstock. Those are all further from downtown then Valpo. They tell me the commute isn't that bad when you are used to it. My husband and I will be taking the south shore train. We do expect the long commute to be hard to get used to since we now live only 4 miles from downtown but again we are hoping it is worth it. Better yet the prices, taxes, etc are much lower. In Chicago we have a 10.25% sales tax. Property taxes are insane and you deal with a lot of other stuff. I do love the city and all it has to offer but have grown very tired of constant people, traffic, graffiti, crime, etc. We hope someday soon my husband will be able to work from home but until then we will be commuting together. I don't think I'll mind it much because I am an avid reader however I know it will probably be much harder for him so I am hoping he can either work from home or find a job closer to Valpo. We did originially look in Munster and Highland but wanted more land then we could find in either. I guess it just depends on what you want. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana