Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2008, 09:44 AM

211 posts, read 948,286 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any idea how the NW Indiana real estate market is doing? We are about to close on a house in Valparaiso and recently found out my husband is expected to lose his job early next year so we will probably be putting the house on the market early spring. I expect we will lose some money but hoping it won't be too much. How long do houses typically stay on the market in this area? Also does acreage help or hurt? We are debating if we could afford to hold onto it for another year in hopes the market improves.

***this is posted on the real estate board also, wasn't sure which one would be better for a question like this***

Also, if we do have to sell right away, whats the best realty company in the area to get a home sold?

Thank you for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 09:48 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,753,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cd771 View Post
Anyone have any idea how the NW Indiana real estate market is doing? We are about to close on a house in Valparaiso and recently found out my husband is expected to lose his job early next year so we will probably be putting the house on the market early spring. I expect we will lose some money but hoping it won't be too much. How long do houses typically stay on the market in this area? Also does acreage help or hurt? We are debating if we could afford to hold onto it for another year in hopes the market improves.

***this is posted on the real estate board also, wasn't sure which one would be better for a question like this***

Also, if we do have to sell right away, whats the best realty company in the area to get a home sold?

Thank you for your help.
My god!!! I am so sorry ... we've been with you this entire time and I wasn't expecting to hear such bad news.

I'm going to pm you the realtor we used when we sold our house in 4 days in Valpo.

Best wishes to you!

Old 09-23-2008, 09:55 AM

domergurl:
Thanks for your help again. I got your pm and printed it out. It's stressful but I'm trying to be optimistic. I'm still happy to get to know Valpo, even though it will probably be for a much shorter time then I'd like.

Thanks again.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:20 AM

17,452 posts, read 14,686,180 times
Things are selling ... but slowly.

I think it really depends where you are price-wise - under $200 and if it shows well will still sell fairly quickly. (My last two listings that sold quickly were both priced between $150-160K, fairly updated and showed well, both sold with multiple full price offers in less than a week.)

Acreage is really individual - some people want it, some would rather be in a subdivision.

IMHO, no one company will help or hurt (as long as they participate in the MLS) ... the agent (not the company) is the key.

BTW, did you come down for Popcorn Fest?

Old 09-23-2008, 11:20 AM

Thanks Chuckity. We did not make it to the popcorn fest but I would love to go. If things work out and we are still around next year I will definitely attend. Thank you again for your help.

Old 09-24-2008, 06:47 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,495,648 times
I think this goes along with this thread.
If a person had the cash, I think they could buy tons of property in Gary right now very cheaply. Hoping that things will improve enough to make a handsome profit down the road. If things dont turn around there you could always sell it cheap like you bought it. It may be worth the effort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana