Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 10:28 AM

311 posts, read 915,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd771 View Post
We moved over the weekend and our finally in our Valparaiso home. So far we are very happy with the move even with my long 2 hr commute each way. It's still very nice to come home to peace and quiet. I can't get over how dark it is and seeing the stars at night. Pretty cool. We also were visited by three deer on Sunday morning which drove my dog nuts I really need a place to get my hair done.
Welcome Home! Glad you are settling in. I have often said if I knew how tough it would be to find a good beautician, I would never have moved again...hahaha. I dont live over that way, I am sure others will have a good person to recommend, but I have been following your posts and the comments and I am glad you are enjoying Valpo already. I thrill seeing the wildlife too, although I am ready to go Bill Murray on the chipmunks around my house! Be careful when you are driving, the deer are really on the move this time of year. I passed a doe and 2 yearlings this week in a grassy field in the middle of the day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 01:33 PM

211 posts, read 947,633 times
Thank you Jodyrose and Chuckity.

Oh ya and do bars serve alcohol on Sunday, I'm assuming they do? I forgot Indiana has this crazy blue law. I guess we have to remember to stock up if we are ever having people over.

Can anyone recommend some good restaurants that deliver food?

Thank you.

Old 10-08-2008, 03:11 PM

17,397 posts, read 14,631,586 times
Quote:
Thank you Jodyrose and Chuckity.

Oh ya and do bars serve alcohol on Sunday, I'm assuming they do? I forgot Indiana has this crazy blue law. I guess we have to remember to stock up if we are ever having people over.

Can anyone recommend some good restaurants that deliver food?

Thank you.
I know you can't buy liquor on Sunday - or election day for that matter. But for the life of me I can't remember if bars are open - I'd assume no.

You might find yourself sorely disappointed on the food delivery front ... except for every pizza place & Jimmy Johns, the only other place I can think that delivers is Jade Garden (Chinese) over on the north side of town. (Near you I think!)

I think it's good ... but then again, maybe it's because I've lived out here too long!

Old 10-09-2008, 06:25 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,725,561 times
There are no carry outs on Sundays in Indiana. BUT, if a restaurant/bar serves food, then liquor up on Sunday my friend! There's a big push to get that changed and I say it's about time! Not that I'm a big drinker, but when I was in college, when I was a medium drinker, we just drove up to Michigan or Ohio on Sundays. It was funny, there are billboards near the state lines that actually advertise "Sunday Beer Sales!" ...

Old 10-09-2008, 03:10 PM

Seriously no alcohol on election day? That's probably when we need it the most, at least for those who are unhappy with the results. Wow.

This law does seem a bit outdated. Especially with football on Sundays.

We love Chinese food. I'm glad there is place that delivers.

Thank you both.

Old 10-10-2008, 06:17 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,725,561 times
Yea, no boozin' on votin' day! You know, it's really a silly law. It just makes people load up the day before. There are a lot of people in NWI who aren't even aware of the law because they are so used to driving over to Illinois on Sundays.

Old 10-15-2008, 05:40 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,059,939 times
Quote:
We moved over the weekend and our finally in our Valparaiso home. So far we are very happy with the move even with my long 2 hr commute each way. It's still very nice to come home to peace and quiet. I can't get over how dark it is and seeing the stars at night. Pretty cool. We also were visited by three deer on Sunday morning which drove my dog nuts but thrilled my husband and me. I'm even finding the train ride isn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I had a nice nap on my way to work this morning and as soon as I find my books in all the boxes scattered about my house, I will be very happy to have so much time to read. Thank you everyone for your help and advice. We are hoping everything will work out jobwise and we can stay here. Only time will tell. Darn us both for being in corporate finance. what a mess....I''ll save the financial meltdown talk for another forum.

So anyone have any recommendations in the area (restaurants, shops, auto repair, etc)? I really need a place to get my hair done.
Thanks again.
WELCOME TO INDIANA!!!!!!!!

Old 10-17-2008, 07:03 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,482,904 times
If you have a little time I suggest you drive over to the intersection of Route 6[ridge road] and hwy 51 in Hobart and try the Gyros at The Paragon bar and grill. The best Gyros i have ever had! You can watch the game on Sunday and have a beer too. You can say Hey to my sister Sue too. Shes been a waitress there for 38 years!! I would also suggest you take a nice Sunday drive down to the little farm towns south of Valpo. It is in these little towns that you will find great country breakfasts! Good luck!!

Last edited by Capt. Dan; 10-17-2008 at 07:04 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 10-18-2008, 10:02 AM

Thanks gdude and Capt Dan. We love Gyros so will definitely be trying that.

We really need a good septic place ASAP. Anyone know of one?

Old 10-18-2008, 10:32 AM

17,397 posts, read 14,631,586 times
Quote:
Thanks gdude and Capt Dan. We love Gyros so will definitely be trying that.

We really need a good septic place ASAP. Anyone know of one?

Sending you a DM ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana