Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 09:19 AM

211 posts, read 947,522 times

Advertisements

We moved over the weekend and our finally in our Valparaiso home. So far we are very happy with the move even with my long 2 hr commute each way. It's still very nice to come home to peace and quiet. I can't get over how dark it is and seeing the stars at night. Pretty cool. We also were visited by three deer on Sunday morning which drove my dog nuts but thrilled my husband and me. I'm even finding the train ride isn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I had a nice nap on my way to work this morning and as soon as I find my books in all the boxes scattered about my house, I will be very happy to have so much time to read. Thank you everyone for your help and advice. We are hoping everything will work out jobwise and we can stay here. Only time will tell. Darn us both for being in corporate finance. what a mess....I''ll save the financial meltdown talk for another forum.

So anyone have any recommendations in the area (restaurants, shops, auto repair, etc)? I really need a place to get my hair done.

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 02:23 PM

17,373 posts, read 14,622,936 times
I'm sending you a personal direct message with referrals for auto & hair BUT ...

Restaurants ...

Kelsey's Steak House (by Walmart in Valpo)

Wagner's Ribs (in a strip mall just northwest of Target in Valpo ... you HAVE to have the Richmond Steak Sandwich ... yummy!)

And now I'm completely blanking on other recommendations because the kids just walked in the door from school - I'll chime in with more later.

Old 10-03-2008, 12:22 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,385,490 times
Welcome, now if you could only add Valparaiso in your profile to make it more official

Is the Broadway Cafe near the Valpo University on route 30 still around?
I remember that it was a great place for food.

Last edited by WildWestDude; 10-03-2008 at 01:40 PM..

Old 10-03-2008, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
Welcome, now if you could only add Valparaiso in your profile to make it official

Is the Broadway Cafe near the Valpo University on route 30 still around?
I remember that it was a great place for food.
It is.

I don't think it's that great though - typical family fare we-have-everything-from-grilled-cheese-to-burritos-to-gyros family restaurant.

Old 10-03-2008, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
It is.

I don't think it's that great though - typical family fare we-have-everything-from-grilled-cheese-to-burritos-to-gyros family restaurant.

Yes indeed, what a family place is suppose to be.
I remember the portions being pretty big and good tasting food

* it used to be Azar's Big Boy for those that can remember that far back

Old 10-03-2008, 01:37 PM

from cd771:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/north...chicago-2.html
"We are actually pretty confused on where to move. Jumping all over the place. Now considering Highland, Chesterton or Portage. Highland is closer to my family and much closer to Chicago. We have been looking for about a year now and already checked out homes in Munster and Highland (and nearly made an offer on a Munster home). I don't know much about St John but I thought it was pretty far from the South Shore. Valpo is probably out because the commute would just be too much. My husband loves that town though. I'm probably the opposite of most people when it comes to homes. I'd like something that needs some updating and since we don't have kids I prefer it on the smaller side. Don't want to have a big house to clean. Highland is probably the best bet for us but there is something tempting about having more land."

I think you made a good decision but can you tell us what made you change your above position and picked Valpo?

Old 10-04-2008, 07:23 AM

Thanks again for all your help Chuckity. I wrote down all your suggestions. I definitely want to try that steak sandwich.

WildWestDude: We were all over the place on where to live in NW Indiana. We were about to put an offer on a house in Munster last fall but at the time we both worked in different areas of Merrill Lynch and the sub prime mess was unfolding so we decided to hold off and see what happened with our jobs. Luckily because my husband ended up getting laid off shortly after and I was laid off about a month later. When we both found jobs I started looking again. My husband always wanted Valparaiso but I was still leaning Munster or Highland. We ended up deciding to look at homes in Valpo/Portage/Chesterton to see what the area offered. It was more to make a decision on area then to actually buy a house. I had never been to Valpo that I can remember. We looked at three houses (one in Portage and two in Valpo) then went to lunch in downtown. I knew when I saw my husband (at the current home we just moved to) that he wanted it. I was still on the fence and kind of freaked out about the idea of being so far from Chicago (geographically and philosophically). Also going from a cement back yard with two patches of grass and a tiny garden to 6+ acres (and I never thought I'd be the ownder of a pole barn) had me wondering how much time we would spend on yard work and could we handle it. So alas we drove around downtown Valpo after viewing the house and then had a wonderful lunch at an Italian restaurant. After lunch we walked around for a little while and were impressed with the restaurants. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind Olive Garden once in a while but I really love to have so many independently (assuming) owned restaurants in a town this size and I loved the downtown area. Also I love that Valpo has historic homes as well as new homes. So I was sold also and we put an offer on the house a couple of days later and now here we are. I also have to give props to Valpo because I requested a information packet from one of the city website and it was delivered the next day and was pretty darn impressive. Now if I could just find where I packed that. Sorry for being so long winded.

Is it just my being used to Chicago or is it normal for restaurant service to be so unbelievably slow here. So far we loved the restaurants that we tried downtown but wow was service slow. We figured we are just too used to city restaurants where they always seem to be in a rush to get you out.

Old 10-04-2008, 07:55 AM

Oh, I forgot! Do not under any circumstances order pizza out here or you will be sorely disappointed.

I have yet to find a good deep dish (other than Uno's in Merrillville) and the only thing that really doesn't suck that bad is Aurellio's on 30 across from Walgreens. (But I'm a deep dish girl - Aurellio's is thin.)

Have you been into Designer Deserts downtown yet?

Old 10-04-2008, 08:06 AM

Oh, I forgot! Do not under any circumstances order pizza out here or you will be sorely disappointed.

Ha and I was just about to ask for a pizza delivery place. I remember Aurelio's being very good. We actually both prefer thin crust. My husband loves House of Pizza in Hammond. Anywhere like that in Valpo?

We haven't tried the dessert places. We went to an Italian place, a French place (which we had a fantastic lunch at, never expected Halibut cheeks but they were delicious) and my husband went to a restaurant here also but he can't remember which one. Isn't there a tavern with good food? I remember someone telling me about it but never wrote down the name.

Old 10-04-2008, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd771 View Post

Ha and I was just about to ask for a pizza delivery place. I remember Aurelio's being very good. We actually both prefer thin crust. My husband loves House of Pizza in Hammond. Anywhere like that in Valpo?

We haven't tried the dessert places. We went to an Italian place, a French place (which we had a fantastic lunch at, never expected Halibut cheeks but they were delicious) and my husband went to a restaurant here also but he can't remember which one. Isn't there a tavern with good food? I remember someone telling me about it but never wrote down the name.
They were probably talking about Old Style Inn - which is right on Lincolnway on the north side of the courthouse.

Have fun exploring your new home town!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana