U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2008, 02:43 PM

756 posts, read 3,019,463 times

Advertisements

Has anyone been here or done the online program? It is the only online accredited program in the area.

I currently live in Illinois and have a full-time job in respiratory therapy, but would like to get a degree in court reporting in the next 5 years when my kids are a little older and in school full-time.

I would appreciate it if anyone could give me their experiences, both good and bad with it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 12:59 PM

3 posts, read 30,204 times
I attended CCR about 5 years ago. I was unable to finish, due to tuition costs. This is the only Court Reporting School in Indiana. It is very good one of the best, but very expensive. The theory they use is one of the easiest, but court reporting is difficult. The online courses are very good and nice and convenient. Let me know what you plan to do I have a machine and books that I am looking to sell. You can e-mail me through www.GinaBombin.com

Old 11-13-2008, 06:48 AM

4 posts, read 16,122 times
I attend CCR online now. The school is great, the staff is very supportive and encouraging and the teachers are outstanding. One thing to consider with CR school is the time commitment. If you need financial aid you will be required to go full time, 9+ hours per semester. In order for them to maintain their accredidation (to offer financial aid) they must offer academic classes as well as the usual shorthand/speedbuilding classes. The requirements from the beginning with shorthand/speedbuilding is a minimum of 16 hours weekly to practice - that's minimum, they really want you at 18-20. This is besides the academic class which may require lots of reading or papers (though not all). However, education is an investment, so if you keep in mind that this time spent is a short-term investment in your future it helps to stay focussed. (At least it does me). Also, cost. In order to attend you will need your machine and supplies. You can find used ones on Ebay from $600+. Just talk to the school before you buy for input. You will also need specific software which can be expensive though the school has an agreement with one company to offer a discount to students. Then there are the books. There is a forum on the school website where students sell used items (including machines) so you can often get a deal. This semester I spent $200+ on books. (Keep in mind financial aid tends not to disburse funds until well into the semester so you can't count on them to pay for books, only to replenish your funds.)I hope all this info has helped you. You might also try this yahoo group for more info, too. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/courtreportingstudents/Good (broken link) luck!

Old 12-16-2008, 04:06 PM

756 posts, read 3,019,463 times
Thanks to both of you for the info! I forgot about this thread, and just looked at it today again!

I'm probably planning on doing this in a few years. I already have a Master's degree in Russian linguistics, so I'm sure that I don't have to take a lot of the general classes. I'm working as a respiratory therapist now, which I love, but I'd like the option of working normal weekday hours when both kids are in school full time (2 more years).

I'm going to try to get tuition reimbursement at the hospital which I'm currently working.

Also, do you actually have to go to the campus at all?

Old 12-16-2008, 04:09 PM

17,696 posts, read 38,093,591 times
Russian Linguistics? WOW!!!! I'm impressed!

Old 12-17-2008, 09:15 AM

No, you don't have to go on campus at all. Everything is done online. email me if you'd like onebusymommyof3@yahoo.com

Old 01-24-2009, 03:42 PM

1 posts, read 4,965 times
Default College of Court Reporting Truths

Hi: I'm currently a CCR student. It is extremely stressful, especially if you work full time, are single and have children. CCR will tell you that you only spend one hour live per class per week. What they don't tell you is that you will spend an additional 8-9 hours a week listening to lectures (two per day, either live during the day if you're home, or recorded lessons at night when you get home from work). These lectures do include speedbuilding which you will repeat over and over. CCR recommends 3-4 hours a week on your speedbuilding, but it takes a lot longer. You also learn a new lesson each week (sometimes two.) Each lesson has approximately 26 exercises that are due each week. They are divided up into 8-9 exercises at a time which can take you anywhere from 2-6 hours PER SET of exercises (or more depending on the difficulty level.) You will be spending at least 30 hours a week on your Theory/Shorthand classes alone. Plus, you need to find time for your other classes, housework, kids activities, etc.

The online program is very expensive as other posters have written. The program is currently approximately $23,000 for on-line. I do get financial aid and am applying for scholarships. My cost for the program will be approximately $12,000, hopefully less with scholarships. A steno machine is anywhere from $600 used to $1,500 new. Books are ridiculously expensive, at approximately $130 each, plus shipping. You have to order and purchase your own books, steno paper, ribbons, extra supplies, etc.

The only way you can change your status when you're enrolled, i.e. from full time to 3/4 time or 3/4 time to less is by testing out of classes or by transferring existing credits from another school. Keep in mind, many of CCR classes are specific to court reporting, so you may not have many credits that can transfer or may not be compatible to their credits.

It is a good program, but they should stress to any potential students who are working full time, that you should only be 3/4 time or part time. There are several of my classmates who also were under the impression that we would only spend one hour per week "live" per class, so it wasn't just me who thought I'd have all this extra time to study.

Old 01-25-2009, 06:53 AM

Independent mom 3 - I would agree with everything you say except about the books. Though some books are exclusive to CCR and are only available brand new they can be pricey (up to $130), that is not the case for everybook and every semester. There is a forum for students to sell used books and there are also the standbys - Amazon and ebay. In fact, I just sold 2 books for $40 each. So...don't let that point scare you away. Another point to stress - if you choose to go part time (less then 9 credit hours) you are no eligible for financial aid.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:21 PM

1 posts, read 3,106 times
These post have been very helpful. I currently live in Urbana, IL and the closet court reporting school is in Chicago. I'm a single mother of two children and I know the cost of rent in Chicago can be a very expensive. So, reading these post have made me feel very confident about apply to the school. Thanks Ladies=)

Old 09-25-2011, 02:22 AM

1 posts, read 2,914 times
I will contact the school as well but does anyone know exactly how much tuition is for the entire program and approx how long would it take on a part-time basis? I am searching for an online program that is accredited. Funds are scarce since i am in the medical profession and patient load is low. Thanks for any info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana