Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2008, 10:31 AM

18 posts, read 38,639 times

Advertisements

I've been researching and reading this forum since we decided to relocate to the area from Atlanta and love the advice you seem to give. My husband grew up in DeMotte and has family in Highland and Hobart/Valpo as well so we know we want to be relatively close to them. Right now, the best choices seem to be Crown Point, St. John, or Schereville (although we're still open to all ideas especially since we aren't ready to actually move there yet). My question for all of you is more specific to neighborhoods in those areas. We have two children (ages 3 and 1) and I've been a teacher for 18 years so good schools are important. I like an active, friendly neighborhood that has a good "community" feel to it. I really don't care much what my house looks like-I'm more interested in the area/neighborhood. I'm not sure of our budget but I would say low 200's. I've lived in metro Atlanta for 19 years so I'm used to convenience but frankly, I'm tired of the congestion/traffic and wouldn't mind something a little further out. We don't want to be too far, though, because there is a good chance my husband will end up commuting to Chicago. We are also very active in our church. My husband grew up in the CRC but we've been attending a non-denominational "mega" church for years now. My preference is for a "contemporary" style church-size is not a big factor but I do tend to feel more comfortable in a larger church. Are there any that might fit that description in the towns mentioned above? Nearby? I'm certainly not expecting to find Utopia up there but if we're going to make this big of a move, I'd like to gather as much info. as I can about the area before going there. Thanks so much for your input and ideas! I really appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 11:29 AM

17,377 posts, read 14,622,936 times
Have you looked at Munster?

Good schools, not too bad of a Chicago commute.

Here's a link to a church that friends of ours attend - they love it: FCC-2008 (It's in Munster too.)

To look at homes, use the Realtor's public access portal of the MLS at: www.gniarmls.com

Good luck!

Old 11-11-2008, 06:30 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,740,081 times
There's a CRC on Greenwood Ave near the Nine Mile Stretch (Indiana Street) in Crown Point. I don't know much about it, as I've never attended that church. Crown Point has a good school system, and you would be near enough that you could work in the Lake Central Schools, Merrillville or Lowell.

I think there is still a CRC in Highland, which has a large Dutch population. Highland would be a lot closer for your husband if he is going to commute into Chicago, and there are many nice neighborhoods there as well.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:09 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,721,897 times
I second Crown Point.

Old 11-12-2008, 12:51 PM

3 posts, read 31,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CVS1219 View Post
I've been researching and reading this forum since we decided to relocate to the area from Atlanta and love the advice you seem to give. My husband grew up in DeMotte and has family in Highland and Hobart/Valpo as well so we know we want to be relatively close to them. Right now, the best choices seem to be Crown Point, St. John, or Schereville (although we're still open to all ideas especially since we aren't ready to actually move there yet). My question for all of you is more specific to neighborhoods in those areas. We have two children (ages 3 and 1) and I've been a teacher for 18 years so good schools are important. I like an active, friendly neighborhood that has a good "community" feel to it. I really don't care much what my house looks like-I'm more interested in the area/neighborhood. I'm not sure of our budget but I would say low 200's. I've lived in metro Atlanta for 19 years so I'm used to convenience but frankly, I'm tired of the congestion/traffic and wouldn't mind something a little further out. We don't want to be too far, though, because there is a good chance my husband will end up commuting to Chicago. We are also very active in our church. My husband grew up in the CRC but we've been attending a non-denominational "mega" church for years now. My preference is for a "contemporary" style church-size is not a big factor but I do tend to feel more comfortable in a larger church. Are there any that might fit that description in the towns mentioned above? Nearby? I'm certainly not expecting to find Utopia up there but if we're going to make this big of a move, I'd like to gather as much info. as I can about the area before going there. Thanks so much for your input and ideas! I really appreciate it!
I am a local Realtor in the area <mod cut advertising> Also, if you are looking for convenience with a small town feel, Crown Point, is a great town with lots of character and history and they are really working towards making it Greener. There are many churches in the community as well. It is a quick commute to the City by I-65 and I80/94. Home prices will fit your range as well. If you want to get closer look at Northwest Indiana you may do so as well on my website. At the top of the page I have links to community info and near the bottom is a link to Northwest Indiana. Hope this helps.

Last edited by domergurl; 11-13-2008 at 08:23 AM..

Old 11-16-2008, 10:12 AM

2 posts, read 5,298 times
You must consider Portage or Valparaiso. They are both areas that are expanding in many ways!

Old 11-16-2008, 02:30 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,740,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaJ9999 View Post
You must consider Portage or Valparaiso. They are both areas that are expanding in many ways!

I don't think either one of them have a CRC.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:35 PM

We're not looking for a CRC church, actually. The preference is for a non-denominational church (Bible based). The one we attend here is sort of like Willow Creek in Chicago but a lot smaller.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:36 PM

Thank you to everybody who has responded so far. Hopefully my husband and I can explore some of these areas when we visit at Christmastime.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:05 AM

1 posts, read 3,396 times
Hello, Crown point schools are wonderful and there are many churches to choose from. Bethel Church on Broadway is very large church I have a few friends that go there. I go to Crown Point Assembly of God not so big but everyone is very nice and we are trying to get the church to grow. So if your looking for a great pastor and the most inspiring music check us out!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana