Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 05:42 PM

2,157 posts, read 5,498,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjake View Post
That's just my point. None of the schools in NWI even made Newsweek's list of the 1000 best high schools for there academic programs. It's a mute point as to how they compare to other public schools that are on the list. Because even Munster High's academic program is no longer regarded as being one of the 1000 best high schools in the country and has declined to the point of not making the list. As for as how these mediocre public schools now compare to Marion Catholic. A private institution that draw some of the highest achieving students from the best families in this region. Please. None of these GOOD NWI schools even compare to Carl Sandberg or Homewood-Flossmoor which are both on the list of the 1000 best high schools in country.
Neither Evanston Township High or Oak Park-River Forest made the list either (both very good schools)

That ranking is not the end all be all. The other years Munster was ranked on that list, they outranked H-F.

Oh, and btw..

Munster High School

H-F

again, not the end all be all. But maybe you should base your OPINIONS on more than one source before you open your mouth. Again, you have pretty useless contributions to this forum, Allen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 05:53 PM

117 posts, read 333,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
Neither Evanston Township High or Oak Park-River Forest made the list either (both very good schools)

That ranking is not the end all be all. The other years Munster was ranked on that list, they outranked H-F.

Oh, and btw..

Munster High School

H-F

I'd like to hear your excuse for this one. Not the end all be all. But maybe you should base your OPINIONS on more than one source before you open your mouth. Again, you have pretty useless contributions to this forum, Allen.
You are referring to my post or someone elses? Name one thing that I stated that was just petty opinion. Last year Munster High was barely on the list of 1000 best high schools in the country. This year not on the list at all. Humh, why is that? I guess you can draw your own conclusion from this. My opinion would be that this shows a decline in the school's academic performance and it's standing as previously being regarded as one of the top rated schools in the country at the very least.

Instead of picking at my statements. Why not look at this very simple fact that Munster High is no longer regarded as being one the 1000 best high schools in the country and deal with it. Maybe look for a solution instead of trying to shoot down the messenger.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:
You are referring to my post or someone elses? Name one thing that I stated that was just petty opinion. Last year Munster High was barely on the list of 1000 best high schools in the country. This year not on the list at all. Humh, why is that? I guess you can draw your own conclusion from this. My opinion would be that this shows a decline in the school's academic performance and it's standing as previously being regarded as one of the top rated schools in the country at the very least.

Instead of picking at my statements. Why not look at this very simple fact that Munster High is no longer regarded as being one the 1000 best high schools in the country and deal with it. Maybe look for a solution instead of trying to shoot down the messenger.
Definitely referring to your post. Last year, Munster was 302...H-F was 336...out of 500...This year H-F is 914 out of 1,001. A major difference from last year. But people do not and should not rely only on this list to determine what school they would send their child to. Based on the other rankings I posted, Munster would be a better option than H-F...but let me guess....that other list must be flawed right? LOL.

There are many schools (esp on the lower end of the lists) that are pretty interchangeable with schools that are not on the list.

The list you posted has Fishers High School in Indiana ranked, but not Hamilton Southeastern listed at all (which is in the same district)...so according to your logic, HSE must have "declined" right?

Well again..on the US News rankings, Fishers is ranked #971......HSE (which wasn't ranked on America's Best at all) was ranked on US News at #941....so what is the explanation there???

You need to learn something called RESEARCH before you make assumptions based off of one source...how simple-minded of you.

The first thing that individuals are taught when first learning how to research is that using MULTIPLE SOURCES to back up claims is the way to go (especially peer reviewed)...but it is obvious that you did not learn that or chose to ignore that logic...so once again, your contributions are useless.

Maybe you should look for a "solution" so that H-F can move up from #755 one day and surpass Munster who is ranked at #672 on that list....it's only 83 spots!

Old 12-03-2012, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
What the heck does St. John, Marian Catholic & Lake Central have to do with Highland?

This picture is more on topic than your post:

http://static.memrise.com/uploads/me...0726215905.jpg

(First one to figure out the significance of THAT ^ gets a rep point.)

LOL! "a tool"

Old 12-03-2012, 08:17 PM

21 posts, read 42,069 times
Default Munster HS

Munster HS is on U.S. News & World Report's top 1000 list as #672 and it's rated 5th in Indiana. Here's the link:
Munster High School in MUNSTER, IN | Best High Schools | US News

Old 12-03-2012, 08:58 PM

17,452 posts, read 14,691,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
LOL! "a tool"
It's an Allen Key.

But "a tool" works pretty well tool.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:49 AM

117 posts, read 333,365 times
You can draw whatever conclusion you want. The Newsweek rankings is the one usually quoted by the schools themselves, the media, and by universities as well. Because it is the most established school ranking source. The US news rankings are using a different set of data points to establish there rankings. But neither ranking is just subjective and open to personal opinion. Although US News tends to rely heavily on state proficiency test results. And then attempts to weigh the rankings based on how economically disadvantaged students, Blacks, and Hispanics are performing at each school. Not sure how I feel about that. Newsweek goes into detail of why ranking schools in that manner is flawed. But both rankings are useful to compare different data points I guess.

Newsweek focuses on data that shows which schools turn out more college ready grads. Focusing on individual student achievement parameters such as actual student college matriculation rates, average AP scores, AP courses offered per student. The fact that Munster High no longer ranks in Newsweek's highly regarded 1000 best high schools list is a notable decline.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:01 AM

811 posts, read 2,339,728 times
No listing of "best schools" should ever be the only consideration of a parent or hold the most weight. I can tell you right off the bat that this US News ranking is flawed because it factors in teacher to student ratio in its rankings. That ratio takes into consideration so many different things, such as Indiana's decreased funding to many school districts resulting in fewer teachers and aides. A lot of those schools that have seen their teacher:student ratio rise because of this are still very strong academically, but would have been dropped in the rankings if this ratio is a factor in their ranking equation.

Old 12-05-2012, 03:49 AM

Quote:
You can draw whatever conclusion you want. The Newsweek rankings is the one usually quoted by the schools themselves, the media, and by universities as well. Because it is the most established school ranking source. The US news rankings are using a different set of data points to establish there rankings. But neither ranking is just subjective and open to personal opinion. Although US News tends to rely heavily on state proficiency test results. And then attempts to weigh the rankings based on how economically disadvantaged students, Blacks, and Hispanics are performing at each school. Not sure how I feel about that. Newsweek goes into detail of why ranking schools in that manner is flawed. But both rankings are useful to compare different data points I guess.

Newsweek focuses on data that shows which schools turn out more college ready grads. Focusing on individual student achievement parameters such as actual student college matriculation rates, average AP scores, AP courses offered per student. The fact that Munster High no longer ranks in Newsweek's highly regarded 1000 best high schools list is a notable decline.
While it is great to see schools on the list, it is not a final determination of how good a school is lol. This is just you trying to say that Munster is "on the decline" because the school wasn't on a LIST. Not being on this list hasn't seem to hurt Munster High School the least bit. You know why? Because smart people do not use ONE list to determine if a school is good or not. Smart people go into depth when looking at school performance and offerings when determining which school district they will move into and send their children.

Many parents look at how a school is trending on standardized testing. Standardized testing is not the end all be all either. But if you take this into consideration, H-F has been slowly declining almost every year since 2006 and as the years go on, it is a steeper decline (Source)

Whereas Munster has been stable and actually, the scores increased between years...also, for the most part, Munster percentage points of students meeting and/or passing are greater than H-F
(Source)

but keep telling yourself Munster High School has "declined" lol. Let me guess. "One of your friends moved from Munster to Flossmoor because Munster didn't get on THE LIST this year?"

Old 12-05-2012, 03:51 AM

Also, way to hijack a thread about HIGHLAND because you just want to be a busybody. Good job troll!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana