Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 04:39 AM

6 posts, read 24,933 times

Advertisements

I live in Highland. The other nigt I was speaking with a friend who in turn spoke to a promient politician about me living in Highland. He told her to tell me to sell and get th h*** of out of Highland. He did not elaborate nor did my friend push. Does anyone why he would say that? Should I move out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2008, 02:48 AM

I guess no one has an opinion on the subject.

Old 12-31-2008, 06:06 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,478,817 times
It could mean a number of things. The sewer systems are outdated and failing and there is no $$ to fix them. Garbage collection is about to stop because of budget problems. There is no $$ to fill pot holes on the streets. Property values are going down. If you are a minority maybe they dont want you there. Could be anything really.

Old 12-31-2008, 07:13 AM

Capt Dan,

Thanks for the insight. Did you use to live in Highland? I noticed your location is Tennessee. I do not see how there could be no dollars. They have a huge shopping center, building a new town hall and redeveloping the downtown. Highland is next door to Munster, plus if the South Shore gets extended we will have a large migration from Illinois.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:16 AM

17,355 posts, read 14,613,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftallc View Post
Capt Dan,

Thanks for the insight. Did you use to live in Highland? I noticed your location is Tennessee. I do not see how there could be no dollars. They have a huge shopping center, building a new town hall and redeveloping the downtown. Highland is next door to Munster, plus if the South Shore gets extended we will have a large migration from Illinois.
I really have doubts about northern lake county experiencing heavy Illinois migration with the extention of the South Shore. Most towns in north Lake are only about 10 miles max from a SS train station as it is.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:35 AM

4,176 posts, read 6,332,598 times
I was under the impression that the exodus from South Suburban Chicago to NWI was starting to slow down anyway. Don't have any concrete evidence for this, but it was just kind of a hunch. Is it true? As this stage, we're getting more expensive and more crowded so the advantage is not as big anymore.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:46 AM

Oh I think our property values are still lower than Illinois. The slowing of the migration is more due to the overall state of the real estate market in this nation. Last, ten miles may not be a large distance but time to travel that in NWI is a different story. Which brings me back to my original question, what is wrong with Highland?

Old 12-31-2008, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftallc View Post
Oh I think our property values are still lower than Illinois. The slowing of the migration is more due to the overall state of the real estate market in this nation. Last, ten miles may not be a large distance but time to travel that in NWI is a different story. Which brings me back to my original question, what is wrong with Highland?
You asked, "should I move out"?

I'm always amazed that that question appears on an pretty anonymous message board. I find it strange that someone would pose such a potentially life altering question to strangers. Even stranger would be if someone would take the answers of strangers to heart.

I don't live in Highland. I wouldn't live in Highland. But I'm not you. And perhaps, or even probably, you wouldn't like living where I live.

Do you like it there? Do you feel safe? Is your location close to work & friends, family & faith? If you have kids, do think the schools are doing a good enough job? Do you like your neighbors?

I think you're the best person to answer your question - not us.

Old 12-31-2008, 12:59 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,332,598 times
Chuckity, do you know anything about the relative rate of people moving from IL to NWI these days as opposed to, say, 5-10 years back? Just a bit curious. There are relatively new houses here all over the place, esp in Dyer (back near 30).

Old 12-31-2008, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
Chuckity, do you know anything about the relative rate of people moving from IL to NWI these days as opposed to, say, 5-10 years back? Just a bit curious. There are relatively new houses here all over the place, esp in Dyer (back near 30).
Not offhand - it would be interesting to see the trends though.

But I've always said nobody is REALLY from NWI anyway - they're from Illinois. (Including yours truly.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana