Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 08:35 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,491,129 times

Advertisements

Seems here in the Midwest many people tend to think that what they have is worth so much more than what it really is. I see people with old rusty trucks in the yard with 170,000 miles and they want 1500. firm. Yeah, ok whatever keep dreaming. Not everyone, but it's kind of the mindset here to think your stuff is worth a small fortune, in bigger areas you tend to find better deals because there's more competition. One thing as far as being a seller (our home will be put up on the market soon); My 3 brothers and I took ownership of my Mom's house after she died. We are in no big hurry at all to sell so we will put the price at market value, not above or below, and we will live in it until it sells. We know how much we each want to walk away with and we don't hit it we won't sell, period. See, YOU as the buyer "hold the cards", but you must remember not all sellers are hurting for money, not all sellers are in a hurry to move so they will play hardball til' they see the $$$ they want. If you fall in love with the place and want it bad enough you WILL pay the asking price. Another side to it. Now as for the dude with the old rusty truck?...He's just insane!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 12:11 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,176,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
Seems here in the Midwest many people tend to think that what they have is worth so much more than what it really is. I see people with old rusty trucks in the yard with 170,000 miles and they want 1500. firm. Yeah, ok whatever keep dreaming. Not everyone, but it's kind of the mindset here to think your stuff is worth a small fortune, in bigger areas you tend to find better deals because there's more competition. One thing as far as being a seller (our home will be put up on the market soon); My 3 brothers and I took ownership of my Mom's house after she died. We are in no big hurry at all to sell so we will put the price at market value, not above or below, and we will live in it until it sells. We know how much we each want to walk away with and we don't hit it we won't sell, period. See, YOU as the buyer "hold the cards", but you must remember not all sellers are hurting for money, not all sellers are in a hurry to move so they will play hardball til' they see the $$$ they want. If you fall in love with the place and want it bad enough you WILL pay the asking price. Another side to it. Now as for the dude with the old rusty truck?...He's just insane!
I did end up buying a house. It was a hassle but we got the price we wanted. I think because the sellers got desperate. They needed to leave the country. I have to say this area did not experience the over inflation of pricing so the pricing stayed steady. I am happy to be a homeowner and glad I will not be looking anymore I took a huge loss on my home back in Detroit several years ago so I know the pain from both sides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana