Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 08:13 AM

8 posts, read 40,934 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about moving to Valparaiso. My daughter lives in Chicago and I am wanting to be closer to her. I just found out that Pratt Industries has a box plant in Valparaiso and my job may allow me to transfer. I am from Wichita, Kansas and would like to know some things about Valparaiso. Mainly the cost of living. I am a single 48 year old woman and fear I won't be able to afford living there if rents are too high. I don't need fancy, just clean and safe. I am currently paying $420 for a two bedroom apartment and that is cheap even by Wichita's standards. I can maybe go up to $600. I would even consider living in a small town outside of Vaparaiso if it is cheaper and not too far from work. Also, if you could tell me what it is like living there and what there is to do. Do you have to pay property taxes on your car when you purchase your tags each year? And, do you have tax on food? I know some places don't, but Wichita does on both counts. Does anyone know anything about the box plant?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2006, 09:42 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,725,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMoore
I am thinking about moving to Valparaiso. My daughter lives in Chicago and I am wanting to be closer to her. I just found out that Pratt Industries has a box plant in Valparaiso and my job may allow me to transfer. I am from Wichita, Kansas and would like to know some things about Valparaiso. Mainly the cost of living. I am a single 48 year old woman and fear I won't be able to afford living there if rents are too high. I don't need fancy, just clean and safe. I am currently paying $420 for a two bedroom apartment and that is cheap even by Wichita's standards. I can maybe go up to $600. I would even consider living in a small town outside of Vaparaiso if it is cheaper and not too far from work. Also, if you could tell me what it is like living there and what there is to do. Do you have to pay property taxes on your car when you purchase your tags each year? And, do you have tax on food? I know some places don't, but Wichita does on both counts. Does anyone know anything about the box plant?
I lived in Valparaiso and taught at the law school. It's a nice city. It's becoming a Chicago suburb, so the rents and housing prices are going up, but I think you'll be able to find a place within your price range. There's the university, so there are events going on there. Some small towns near Valpo are Kouts, Hebron, Wheeler & Boone Grove. You may also want to try Chesterton ... it's convenient to the Toll Road as well as a commuter train that goes into Chicago.

No taxes on food or medicine and yes, you have to pay a tag tax each time you renew. It is determined on the age of your car.

Feel free to PM or email me if you want to know more. You can go to www.rent.net to see what apartments are going for.

Old 06-20-2006, 01:57 PM

8 posts, read 40,934 times
Thanks for the info. I found a Chesterton web site and it looks pretty cool too. I just wonder where the best place is to live to get the most bang for the buck. It is sorta looking like I may have to go down to a one bedroom instead of two and I was kind of in hopes for a duplex, but I will keep searching. If anyone knows of a property manager for me to contact, that would be great!!

Old 06-20-2006, 05:12 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,741,047 times
You might want to check into LaPorte County as well.

My son & daughter-in-law recently moved there from Valpo. More affordable, as property taxes as lower than Lake or Porter Counties.

Old 07-17-2006, 05:04 AM

61 posts, read 378,743 times
The town of Laporte it self is a good place. I use to live there and it is very resonable to live. You'll be about 15 mins. from hwy 95 or right on hwy. 2. That will take you about any where you want.

Old 07-19-2006, 07:01 PM

6 posts, read 23,273 times
Chesterton is a rather ritzy community, so the rent might be higher there.

I'm not sure of how much the rent is, but you could try Mayfield apartments in Valpo. My brother stayed there with a couple of his friends when he was attending the university and I had the impression he didn't have that incredibly high of rent or anything. You could also try renting a town house. Valpo is pretty much a nice place, but you've still got to be careful.

Some nearby small towns you could consider are Porter, South Haven, Wanatah, Kouts.

There are some nice restaraunts in Valpo, a shopping plaza, and there are some more stores and a mall and such fairly nearby in Hobart (I wouldn't recommend living in that area, near Merriville and such...they have a lot of crime). And in early fall each year there's the annual Popcorn Festival in downtown Valpo; I've never actually been to it but it might be something to check out.

And if you don't feel like driving in Chicago, it's fairly easy to go by train. There are a couple of stations nearby. The line is called the South Shore.

Old 07-23-2006, 05:08 PM

1 posts, read 8,686 times
[color="DarkOrchid"][/COLOR
DMOORE,
HI, I live in Lakes of the Four Seasons, which about 15 min. from Valpo. It's a very nice town. Though most of the rentals are for the university students. My husband's family owns and use to own rentals/vacant there. However, if you stay in Porter Count, not Lake, you will find the rents more reasonable moving more east from Valpo is a great distance and there are still alot of farmland out there. My hubby & I are from Chicago area, tried Munster then moved to LOFS on the Porter side.Have been here since 1984.. and it has CHANGED! There was a time my hubby could make it to Chicago from LOFS Lakes of the Four Seasons (just a little south of Valpo) in 45 minutes taking 65 to toll road 90. Now it takes an hour and a little longer during the summer. Of course that's driving. There are buses that take you into Chicago. Supposely they will be extending 65 to have an exist on 109th st./100 South, which is right past LOFS.and I understand that the train will be extended to have a stop at Route 231 in Crown Point,I think that's the SouthShore train. There are alot of nice rentals around this area. you can email me anytime if you have any questions? We are semi-retired, looking to close up our businesses in Chicago.

Old 07-24-2006, 09:52 AM

2 posts, read 10,563 times
Default Reply to what is Valparaiso like

Valparaiso is a great, growing community with much to offer. But, $400 to $600 probably won't buy you what your used to presently.
Just south of Valparaiso is a small town called Kouts that you might consider.

Old 08-07-2006, 12:44 PM

2 posts, read 10,307 times
I agree with Italian. Valpo is a great city. I've lived in this area most of my life and don't have anything to complain about. No crime, good people, plenty of things to do, however kind of pricy. If you go south of Valpo a little ways, actually even before the town of Kouts (which is about 8 miles south of Valpo), you'll find a suburb of Valpo called Morgan Township. This is the perfect area because it's minutes from valpo, but with less expense factor. Hope this helps!

Old 08-22-2006, 09:41 AM

4 posts, read 26,593 times
I live in Valparaiso. It is a great city and low crime. You could prob find student rentals that are in that price range. There are several train options for getting into Chicago. You do have to pay yearly for your car tags, but most of it is a tax deduction at year end. There is tax on food. And I am not familiar with the box plant. There are many housing options. For what you are paying you could buy a small house in/or around Valpo. Property taxes are fairly inexpensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana