Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-14-2012, 01:05 AM
 
5 posts, read 27,934 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

i think maybe you are right i ll stick with memories it probably wouldnt look anything like I remember thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-08-2012, 02:47 PM
 
Location: Chicagoland
5 posts, read 8,683 times
Reputation: 13
i lived in hammond for awhile and the majority of it is low-income to be honest..the area around purdue is the only area id recommend hessville is slightly gang infested but still not as bad as North Hammond, which id avoid completely unless you have family there or have low income..the area around michigan and columbia, calumet and michigan all up and down calumet from those locations are high crime gang infested areas(LK's, VL's, Counts) all of North Hammond is a "bad neighborhood"..although tons and tons of "good" hard working people live there the area is a complete slum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2013, 07:33 PM
 
1 posts, read 1,983 times
Reputation: 10
I have lived in Hammond most of my life. I grew up in Hessville but live in the Woodmar section of Hammond since 1980. We haven't had much trouble here except for one rental house in our neighborhood. thank God, the people who live there now, are decent people. I think anywhere there are rental properties, there is trouble. Hessville has alot of rental properties as does north Hammond, etc. My advice, look for an area in Hammond, like Woodmar, where the majority of homes are owned by and lived in by the owners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2013, 04:53 PM
 
52 posts, read 74,765 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by celtic1950 View Post
I have lived in Hammond most of my life. I grew up in Hessville but live in the Woodmar section of Hammond since 1980. We haven't had much trouble here except for one rental house in our neighborhood. thank God, the people who live there now, are decent people. I think anywhere there are rental properties, there is trouble. Hessville has alot of rental properties as does north Hammond, etc. My advice, look for an area in Hammond, like Woodmar, where the majority of homes are owned by and lived in by the owners.
I completely agree! I have also lived in Hammond all of my life and though some areas are a lot sketchier than others, (for example, the areas in which the OP was inquiring about), I definitely don't think Hammond is the ghetto some people portray it to be. It's mostly middle class with your very low-income areas. I have lived in the same house for 23 years and my experience has been the same as Celtic1950's - being that the majority of my problems have been with rental properties. Mostly everyone else in my neighborhood has been here for quite a number of years.

Kids were getting mugged coming home from the Munster fair earlier this summer. I wouldn't even walk around there at night...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2013, 05:51 AM
 
2,156 posts, read 5,490,590 times
Reputation: 1572
Quote:
Originally Posted by razacla View Post
I completely agree! I have also lived in Hammond all of my life and though some areas are a lot sketchier than others, (for example, the areas in which the OP was inquiring about), I definitely don't think Hammond is the ghetto some people portray it to be. It's mostly middle class with your very low-income areas. I have lived in the same house for 23 years and my experience has been the same as Celtic1950's - being that the majority of my problems have been with rental properties. Mostly everyone else in my neighborhood has been here for quite a number of years.

Kids were getting mugged coming home from the Munster fair earlier this summer. I wouldn't even walk around there at night...
Really??? LOL!!! You do realize that the kids that were the muggers in that incident were from Hammond AND they knew their victims, right?? And it's not like that area was known for having issues. That was the only time there ever was an issue. The other robbery incident that occurred there, the victim knew the assailant AND it was a drug deal gone bad. Lol "I wouldn't even walk there at night" please..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2013, 07:13 AM
 
811 posts, read 2,336,815 times
Reputation: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by razacla View Post
I completely agree! I have also lived in Hammond all of my life and though some areas are a lot sketchier than others, (for example, the areas in which the OP was inquiring about), I definitely don't think Hammond is the ghetto some people portray it to be. It's mostly middle class with your very low-income areas. I have lived in the same house for 23 years and my experience has been the same as Celtic1950's - being that the majority of my problems have been with rental properties. Mostly everyone else in my neighborhood has been here for quite a number of years.

Kids were getting mugged coming home from the Munster fair earlier this summer. I wouldn't even walk around there at night...
Hey, I'm all for a good jab to Munster every now and then, but when the suspects of the crime you're referencing are from YOUR town and not Munster..... FAIL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2013, 07:48 PM
 
52 posts, read 74,765 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by svillechris View Post
Hey, I'm all for a good jab to Munster every now and then, but when the suspects of the crime you're referencing are from YOUR town and not Munster..... FAIL.
Oh, you didn't hear? 2 of the guys were also from Munster. Not jabbing at Munster at all, plain and simply stating that there are no more Pleasantville's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2013, 08:14 PM
 
2,156 posts, read 5,490,590 times
Reputation: 1572
Quote:
Originally Posted by razacla View Post
Oh, you didn't hear? 2 of the guys were also from Munster. Not jabbing at Munster at all, plain and simply stating that there are no more Pleasantville's.

Incident 1: Hammond teens robbed at gunpoint in Munster

Arrest 1: Hammond teens charged with robbing two boys in Munster

Incident 2: Gunmen robbed more teens after Munster church festival

Arrest 2: None

So the "2 of the guys were also from Munster" remark really would apply to the victims, not the assailants. Where is the article/records that the assailants where from Munster?

And you are right, there really isn't any pleasantville. But saying you wouldn't walk around there at night? Where? All of Munster? Just that intersection? The new gated community, Park West? LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2013, 08:24 PM
 
52 posts, read 74,765 times
Reputation: 23
I didn't get my information from the newspaper. My husband's best friend is a Munster cop. I am just oh so SHOCKED that the Munster charges didn't also make it into the news. And as much as I'd like to go toe to toe with a know it all, not worth it. LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2013, 02:31 PM
 
Location: Chicago
40 posts, read 128,609 times
Reputation: 48
I run a business in the Woodmar section of Hammond. The people that live in this area can generally be described as fairly nice, hardworking, blue collar folk. Looking around, the city is suffering from a lack of investment. This is evident as many buildings, streets, and homes age without being updated. Unless you enjoy shopping at dollar stores, Wal-Mart, fast food restaurants, or liquor stores – a person moving here would most likely be disappointed. Sure one could make the trip to Highland or Munster – but why not just live in that community?

I also feel that Hammond's reputation has been earned. In my 3 years down here, my business has suffered multiple stolen vehicles. We frequently get abandoned cars on our property. It is common to see hypodermic needles along the side of our building esp. near our (locked) dumpsters. Someone shot our building and the bullet damaged our exterior and an employee’s car. These are all quality of life crimes – drugs, vandals, thefts,…

However, the area is safer than its neighbors in East Chicago, Gary, and S. Chicago. (except for the guy who had his throat slashed at the south shore station a ½ mile away in EC)

If you grew up in Hammond or have family here, you may be fine in this community. My recommendation would be living as far south, in Hammond, as you can afford – or to move to a different community further south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top