Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 12:01 AM

4 posts, read 36,766 times

Advertisements

This place looks almost perfect in everyway. If I moved here it would be with a 15 year old boy and a 16 year old girl. If we moved here it would probley be during the summer so what fun is there to do during the summer months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2007, 01:19 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
It's great that you think so highly of Portage. Have you checked out Chesterton too? It's always good to see other places to make sure that the one you like is the one for you.

Old 03-29-2007, 03:48 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,138,513 times
Portage is not looked upon with envy by surrounding areas. The main drag of US6 is woefully in need of repair and the businesses along it don't constitute a downtown. It does have a core area and it's OK, but I wouldn't recommend it. Chesterton, to the east, is much better. Portage gets alot of air pollution from the steel mills and the air will smell funny many days in the year. The high school is not well regarded either, from what my extensive family in NWI has indicated. I don't know exactly what you're looking for but, generally, one could do better than Portage.

Old 04-08-2007, 09:08 PM

7 posts, read 48,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
Portage is not looked upon with envy by surrounding areas. The main drag of US6 is woefully in need of repair and the businesses along it don't constitute a downtown. It does have a core area and it's OK, but I wouldn't recommend it. Chesterton, to the east, is much better. Portage gets alot of air pollution from the steel mills and the air will smell funny many days in the year. The high school is not well regarded either, from what my extensive family in NWI has indicated. I don't know exactly what you're looking for but, generally, one could do better than Portage.
Well coming from an actual resident of the NWI area I have to disagree. Portage, Chesterton, and Valparaiso are all great cities in Porter County. Crown Point, Munster, and Schererville are great cities in Lake County.

Old 04-12-2007, 03:57 PM

23 posts, read 123,442 times
Default check the data first!

Before moving to Portage, check out the schools (scores, drug problems at the high school, etc.), crime/drugs overall and the number of sex offenders in the city to start. The local paper (thetimesonline) has lots of stories about these topics. That should give you a good idea of why people are mentioning other towns to look at in northwest Indiana, especially with children of high school (or any) age. Some of the areas more northeast or on the edges of town would be OK (there are some really nice streets), but there is only one public high school in town. Chesterton and Valparaiso are similar to each other, but both are very different from Portage.

Old 12-08-2007, 02:41 PM

13 posts, read 73,258 times
Well knowing Portage by living there for 13 years and just recently moving 2 weeks ago Portage has grown so much. Rt 6 is now 4 lanes across. Portage High School is increasing their students and built a Field house. There is now a Kohl's, Sears, Super Menards (which is just like a super walmart, they have food, some clothes and all the general mendars supplies)..They are expanding a lot and are in the running with Valparaiso to be the next Merrillville. (Valpo now has best buy, jc pennys, menards, home depot, bed, bath and beyond, many more resturants and stores.) I still think it's a great place to live..picking the right subdivision is key, working with the great builder Gore Reality helped my parents build their home and I lived with them in Southfield Estates (which is still such a great neighborhood)...But it's not the little city when we first moved there..it's growing (almost too fast)

Old 12-08-2007, 08:58 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Portage is a growing exurban city with a closer travel time to the Chicagoland area compared with Valparaiso. More development in the future between Valpo and Portage will likely lead to the towns almost being connected by suburban development.

Old 11-17-2020, 09:20 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Bump
Sorry to awake this ancient thread, almost as old as CD itself....
However...is Portage as of today a decent place to live.
We are moving from Chicago.
My husband will commute. We know the drive will be at least an hour and a half, but we are OK with that for various reasons.
We make good money. He works for a major airline and I work as a radiogy tech/CT so I can work at any hospital or clinic that offers those services.
My son wants to join a school that offers JROTC as he is part of one now here in Chicago. Portage HS has it.
We don't want to spend more than 350 on a house .
Anyways. What do you guys think about Portage Indiana?

Old 11-18-2020, 07:00 AM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Bump
Sorry to awake this ancient thread, almost as old as CD itself....
However...is Portage as of today a decent place to live.
We are moving from Chicago.
My husband will commute. We know the drive will be at least an hour and a half, but we are OK with that for various reasons.
We make good money. He works for a major airline and I work as a radiogy tech/CT so I can work at any hospital or clinic that offers those services.
My son wants to join a school that offers JROTC as he is part of one now here in Chicago. Portage HS has it.
We don't want to spend more than 350 on a house .
Anyways. What do you guys think about Portage Indiana?
Chesterton and Valpo are BOTH nicer than Portage overall in just about every category.

Old 11-19-2020, 01:23 AM

1,668 posts, read 1,487,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Chesterton and Valpo are BOTH nicer than Portage overall in just about every category.
Maybe Chesterton and Valpo are a little nicer but, To the question, Is Portage a decent place to live, I'd still say yes.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-19-2021 at 02:28 PM.. Reason: Fixed a technical glitch in the quote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana