Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2009, 08:50 PM

16 posts, read 31,312 times

Advertisements

In looking at the Chicago area, and which suburbs are considered "desirable", there are a number of factors that seem to come into play:

- quality of schools
- quality of housing stock
- proximity to downtown
- proximity to transportation

Now, having said that, NWI has simply declined over the years, while many areas throughout the rest of the Chicago area have prospered and solidified their places as desirable suburban locales:

- North Shore (Winnetka, Wilmette, Glencoe, Highland Park, Lake Forest, etc)
- Western Suburbs (Hinsdale, Oak Brook, Clarendon Hills, Naperville, etc)
- North/Northwest Suburbs (Libertyville, Lincolnshire, Kildeer, Barrington, etc)

What about Munster?

The BIG drawback to Munster is that its in Indiana - which presents a huge image problem for folks in Illinois. Indiana is perceived to be blue collar (some truth to this), far from downtown, and outside of the Chicago area.

The reality, however, is different in my opinion. True, NWI isn't as sophisticated as many other areas of Chicagoland. However, there are some nice pockets to be sure, and Munster is one of those hidden gems. The town has excellent schools, good housing stock - and also a nice selection of upscale luxury homes, and is closer to downtown Chicago than many of the other places I mentioned above - like Lake Forest, Barrington, Libertyville, etc.

NWI just needs to market itself better, in my opinion, and Munster would really benefit from this. Professionals in the Chicago area just don't think of the South Suburbs as a place to live, and NWI doesn't even cross their minds for the most part. But they are missing out on a place that has excellent schools (Munster), safe neighborhood, many very upscale homes, and is not too far from Chicago. It just needs to be made clear to people.

I moved away from Munster 20 years ago but am in the northern suburbs of Chicago now, and I can tell you that it is a true bargain compared to where I live - with a great quality of life and many of the same advantages that folks have far north. It is certainly missing some of the culture, the shopping, dining - and is slightly impacted by the general blue collar feel of surrounding areas. However, it is a real hidden gem in my opinion.

I would highly recommend Munster to people looking to relocate to or within the Chicago area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2009, 03:20 PM

17,763 posts, read 39,635,941 times
Ya know ... part of me wants to give you a high five, the other part wants to give you a fresh one upside the head.

I've always contended that NWI is a hidden gem in the state of Indiana. It gets a bad rap because of northern Lake County, primarily, Gary. You're right, Munster is a fantastic community, but there are others as well.

Don't worry, there are plenty of Chicago people flocking to NWI ... methinks there are some who wish it would stop a little.

Old 04-05-2009, 06:45 PM

17,056 posts, read 14,396,262 times
I think that YOU think that we should be thankful to have someone from the north side saying good things about a NWI community.

Thanks but no thanks.

And honestly, we're pretty okay with not having those big ol' fancy city folk coming to little ol' Indiana.

Old 04-06-2009, 06:38 AM

17,763 posts, read 39,635,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
I think that YOU think that we should be thankful to have someone from the north side saying good things about a NWI community.

Thanks but no thanks.

And honestly, we're pretty okay with not having those big ol' fancy city folk coming to little ol' Indiana.
Now Chuckity ...

I think the OP should have posted this on the Chicago board. Coming here and telling us what we already know is kind of silly and a tad condescending.

Again, part of me wants to give 'em a high five and the other a whoop upside the head. I agree Chuck ... Chicago people moving to NWI thinking they are doing you all a favor ... nope, they can stay right where they are.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:36 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,292,172 times
You know I am orginally from East Chicago and live in Hammond, and it bugs me how this board consists of nothing but praisers of Munster, St. John, Dyer and the like lambasting my hometown area. I understand there is a divide, but geez....some of you make like the trifecta of E.C. Gary and Hammond is a literal hell on Earth(yes, I am aware that I left myself open for snarky commentary). This entire area sometimes seems like it's ass backwards as far as the thinking.

And I agree with domergirl...most of the crap that has happened in the area as of late is due to people from the city moving here.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:18 PM

2,522 posts, read 4,380,651 times
Munster has had the reputation of being a wonderful community for years. The Performing Arts Center, great schools, a diverse population and an easy commute into Chicago makes it a very desirable place to live.

Old 04-07-2009, 02:57 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,317,684 times
Munster maybe underrated in the overall domain of Chicagoland, but I think it's a bit over-rated within the smaller realm of NWI proper. It has its benefits as mentioned, but similar opportunities can be found in other NWI towns as well (CP, SJ, Dyer, S-ville, etc).

Although there are some problems associated with people moving from the IL side of Chicagoland to NWI, the NWI are has benefitted from them greatly. This population is a major reason for the growth of certain parts of NWI in the recent past and also contributes heavily to its retail strength. You have to take the good with the bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana