Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 01:43 AM

4 posts, read 36,760 times

Advertisements

Hammond is a place me,my mom, and my sister would like to move to because it has a bus system and it doesn't seem to crowded like most of the area. The only problem is the it seems to have high crime. So if u know of a apartment with 2 bed 1 bath for 650 and under in a good area please tell me cause this place looks good. I'm 15 my sister is 16 so if it is near Morton Senior Highschool thats a plus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2007, 01:35 PM

489 posts, read 2,014,933 times
I grew up in Hammond, Indiana, and lived in NW Indiana until I was 30. I also went to Morton. Hammond is changing and was changing when I still lived there. I would recommend the Hessville area (perhaps you can find that on a web search). It also seemed to me that the neighborhoods near Harding Elementary were still okay. I took a look at the crime stats for Hammond, and overall, the crime rate index isn't that high compared to other cities. Anywhere I've ever lived with crime stats in the 500s was just fine to be in. Just use common sense and exercise good judgment (lock your doors and windows, don't leave your valuables outside, etc.), and you will be fine. Any other area that I would recommend would force you to another school, I believe. Hopefully some others can post here with helpful suggestions. Good luck.

Old 04-08-2007, 08:42 PM

7 posts, read 48,596 times
for $650 or less you could find an apartment in a better area than Hammond. You might want to consider a town along the South Shore commuter railroad. It goes in and out of Chicago.

Old 04-17-2007, 07:46 PM

4 posts, read 31,943 times
Default Not my dream place but it's fine

I have lived in Hammond since about 1980. It's not my dream place to live and the area is changing continually, but the mayor is working very hard to improve Hammond. We live in the "Hessville" area which is very near Gary, and I agree that the crime rate is probaly worse now than it was 10 years ago but we have not had any bad experiences. Community involvement and neighborhood watch programs really do help a lot. In others words, being a nosey neighbor and having nosey neighbors is a plus. I will say that on my particular street a lot of the orginal home owners are moving out to condos or whatever and the area is changing. But it's not a bad area, I'm not scared here at all. That's not to say I'd go for a walk at midnight but I wouldn't do that anywhere! There are definitely advantages to living in a "city" and Hammond is close enough to rural area that you can "get away" to a "country place" very quickly.
Hope this helped!

Old 06-07-2007, 01:10 AM

1 posts, read 9,104 times
Default H-ville is where it's at!!!

I am the direct descendent of Joe Hess, founder of Hessville. When he started this great community he had three things in mind, community, prosperity, and brotherhood. Those values still hold true to this very day. There is a fantastic school system GO GOVS!!!! Places cheep... we'd love to have you.

Peace,

H-TOWN 4 LIFE!!!

Old 11-07-2007, 12:45 PM

231 posts, read 1,142,112 times
You can try Griffith or Highland, both far safer than Hammond, and in the same ballpark.

Old 02-05-2009, 01:50 PM

2 posts, read 22,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soothsayer1234 View Post
You can try Griffith or Highland, both far safer than Hammond, and in the same ballpark.
Nonsense! Rent is significantly higher in both these places, and in many places just as bad (if not worse) than the bad areas in Hammond. Griffith borders Gary, and a lot of its problems spill into it from Gary. Hammond has a much better location and easier public access than either.

Old 04-24-2009, 01:58 AM

44 posts, read 136,597 times
I've lived in Hammond all 17 (almost 18) years of my life,1 ok it's not all that bad but not all that great.2 the transit system,haha..the biggest joke I've heard next to ticketmaster.They are late more than half the time,but really Hammond isn't too bad of a place.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:33 PM

25 posts, read 63,777 times
One of the areas I really like in Hammond is the South part - South of 169th and west from State line to Hohman!

Find something here and you'll be fine.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:46 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,559,939 times
Just be glad it isnt Gary!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana