Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 12:37 AM

815 posts, read 3,000,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
It's a crying shame that all our old school buses get shipped off to Mexico and Central America where private enterprise runs the bus system. No public transit! Private enterprise does it all, and beautifully well done!

Down there, they repaint our old school buses in flamboyant colors with a stereo system and they compete with one another. There, you need not be at a bus stop, just hold out your hand along the street, and they stop. Need to get off? Just say Stop and they stop, not just at bus stops. And along the way, vendors climb aboard, trying to sell you anything from fried chicken, sandwiches, candy, pharmaceutical products, razor blades, you name it!
It's truly fun to ride the buses in Central America. And I've never had to wait but a few minutes for another bus to come along. The most luxuriest bus system in the world.

And then for the really, really poor, there's pick-ups prowling the streets looking for passengers. Climb aboard the pick-up, hang on for dear life to a pole, and away you go! With the wind blasting your body, feels really great on a hot day!

So why not just scrap the public transportation buses, turn it all over to private enterprise. Save those old school buses. Don't let another one go south of the Border. See all those big pick-ups prowling the streets of your city? Turn a few of them over to public transit!
Did anybody realize that almost all rapid transit systems in the U.S. were once private businesses? Yes, they were. From the South Shore to the system now know as the CTA, were all begun and run by private businessmen.

And they made money. In some cases big money. They were never run like the way that transit is run in Central America today, but they at one time didn't cost the taxpayer anything like it does today.

It didn't last long though. A combination of heavy government regulation, unionized employees, the rise of the personal auto all conspired to end privately run public transit. The city of Chicago took over the then bankrupt transit companies and created the CTA by the 1940's. The South Shore railroad lasted longer then most and lasted as a private organization until the 1970's, not taken over completely by the state of Indiana until 1989.

Will public transit one day not suck in N.W. Indiana? Not likely. Most residents really don't seem to want it because they have cars. The SS is a commuter railroad today and not much more. The fact that Gary, East Chicago and Hammond all run their own systems leads to a-lot of stupid problems. All I ever see is mostly empty buses in NW Indiana running around. Combining the three bus lines will help but I don't see huge improvement. It not a priority to very many people in the region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 11:39 AM

912 posts, read 1,332,863 times
While I do love Indiana but,is there any city in IN that has decent public transportation ? As someone who cannot drive this is a major issue .

Old 02-06-2010, 07:43 AM

635 posts, read 1,656,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaProud View Post
While I do love Indiana but,is there any city in IN that has decent public transportation ? As someone who cannot drive this is a major issue .
Good question...I'm thinking about moving to NW Indiana from Missouri and will mostly likely commute to make better money but...so far it sounds like quite the headache. I was thinking the train from Chesterton and maybe looking for work on the East side of the city. If I could get my commute to around 45 minutes I'd be thrilled.

Old 02-06-2010, 08:16 AM

17,442 posts, read 14,680,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollym313 View Post
Good question...I'm thinking about moving to NW Indiana from Missouri and will mostly likely commute to make better money but...so far it sounds like quite the headache. I was thinking the train from Chesterton and maybe looking for work on the East side of the city. If I could get my commute to around 45 minutes I'd be thrilled.
The east side of Chicago is the lake.

The East Side is a neighborhood on the south side of Chicago - and your chance of finding a good paying job there is pretty much slim to none.

Keeping your commute to 45 min from Chesterton to Chicago is unfortunately not going to happen.

Old 02-06-2010, 08:56 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,750,808 times
maybe they are referring to the east side of the loop ... be nice!!!!!

Old 02-06-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I was being nice. No snarkiness intended at all!

Even if your work was right outside of either the VanBuren or Randolph station, 45 min is only doable if you took the South Shore from Hegewisch ... Chesterton to downtown is well over an hour.

Old 02-06-2010, 09:14 AM

635 posts, read 1,656,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
The east side of Chicago is the lake.

The East Side is a neighborhood on the south side of Chicago - and your chance of finding a good paying job there is pretty much slim to none.

Keeping your commute to 45 min from Chesterton to Chicago is unfortunately not going to happen.
Quote:
LOL...actually I was referring to the "East" side of the city. HMMM a lake job...could be fun. Actually...you saved me time I guess I was thinkin southeastern. But I'm glad to know not to look there for work. THANKS!

Old 02-06-2010, 02:22 PM

my first job downtown was in Prudential One and back then, the city was touting the area east of Michigan Ave to the lake as "the new east side".

Old 02-06-2010, 03:37 PM

Quote:
my first job downtown was in Prudential One and back then, the city was touting the area east of Michigan Ave to the lake as "the new east side".
I hated when they did that - there already was a neighborhood called the East Side.

Drove me bonkers.

Old 02-06-2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
I hated when they did that - there already was a neighborhood called the East Side.

Drove me bonkers.
I agree!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana