Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2009, 05:19 PM

25 posts, read 63,789 times

Advertisements

So I moved from "Chi-town" and I love the area I live in but where in
THE WORLD are the "social functions"?!!!???!!!

So I dig...no clubs; no social events; I will stop the negativity

I am a professional (former stock broker...yadi...yadi...yadi..) and would like to find interesting friends whom are open for just having fun

By the way, my heart was broken, my ego shattered, and boy did I want all my PAC contributions from the "young chicago advisers" club. After I turned 35 I received a letter saying " we appreciate your contribution and participation for having belonged"...

I became to old-to continue my membership- I was debarred!

Share your favorite social spots for meeting friends (I mean..."friends")
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 12:48 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,226,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvesTools View Post

So I dig...no clubs; no social events; I will stop the negativity

I am a professional (former stock broker...yadi...yadi...yadi..) and would like to find interesting friends whom are open for just having fun

By the way, my heart was broken, my ego shattered, and boy did I want all my PAC contributions from the "young chicago advisers" club. After I turned 35 I received a letter saying " we appreciate your contribution and participation for having belonged"...

I became to old-to continue my membership- I was debarred!

Share your favorite social spots for meeting friends (I mean..."friends")

What are your interests?

Edited for, making "friends" is a loose term. You still have to start out somewhere. If you like astronomy, there is a club and if I had the time, I would join it. It meets out by Lowell. There is an observatory there.

If you are into cooking, Amelia's in CP has cooking classes sometimes. There are "wine tastings". I think some are held at a place in St. John. For the life of me, I cannot remember the name of the place.

If you ride, then it shouldn't be that hard to hook up with those that do by hanging out at some of the bars where they socialize.

Last edited by Pandamonium; 05-14-2009 at 01:18 PM..

Old 05-15-2009, 12:36 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,334,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvesTools View Post
There's very little (if any) of what you're looking for here. Many people have been living in this area for a long time, so there's much less effort to make new friends than in urban and metro areas that attract people from all over the nation (and, in some cases, the world).

Old 05-15-2009, 09:25 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,301,832 times
Basically, we're happy in our own little bubble.

Old 05-16-2009, 09:55 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,226,349 times
I do agree there is no effort. But, after having a look-see, I am 100% ok with that. It sounds like this has more to do with "networking" then it does with actual "friends".

Old 05-16-2009, 03:41 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,334,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
I do agree there is no effort. But, after having a look-see, I am 100% ok with that. It sounds like this has more to do with "networking" then it does with actual "friends".
There is very little here, both in the way of networking and social (i.e. meeting new friends). A lot of people who grew up in the area stay on as adults and there are relatively less people from outside the area (when you take Chicagoland as a whole) than many other Metro areas. It's not a great place for outsiders without much in the way of an already established network.

Old 05-19-2009, 12:46 PM

169 posts, read 456,365 times
In short, the social networking opportunities for young single professionals in NW Indiana are in Chicago. It's more suburban or exurban out here and social things are generally aimed at families and revolve around the schools, churches, etc. Luckily you're probably only 30-60 minutes from the city, depending on where exactly you live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
View detailed profiles of: