Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 08:56 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,123,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
You mean, Calumet Township is in Gary.

People can argue about how it's "not really Gary" all they want, bla bla bla. But if you're going to a bussiness over there, they don't even bother saying they're located in "Calumet Township". They just say "Gary. This is UNLIKE businesses in Miller Beach..
Gary is in cal township along with griffith and the unincorporated area which includes calumet high school. There's a reason it's not a part of gary schools. People in cal do not say they live in gary because they don't.

Glen ryan is the little strip of houses between 12 and just south of the first set of tracks (where miller pizza and ming ling is) between lake st and where 7th ave merges with 12 & 20 right by republic steel.

Miller has seen a stout increase in crime. Before you'd be hard pressed to have crime in miller outside the occasional property crime. Now you see assaults, gun fire and an increase in assaults. The constant vandalism of the pavillion should show a true indication of what is starting to happen. No longer r the hoodlums sticking to the east side, midtown and areas of glen park. All this while miller is trying to make a comeback. Gone r the days of raplh's, the dq and the rink and everyone heading over to the big wheel for a burger or miller bakery.

Before you could hang at lake street beach fri and sat night and not have to worry. Gpd didn't have to be there. Now these young cats have to prove how hard they r and ready to shoot up everyone just for a look and love gary's reputation and will do anything to protect that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 09:28 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,709,850 times
Glen ryan is the little strip of houses between 12 and just south of the first set of tracks (where miller pizza and ming ling is) between lake st and where 7th ave merges with 12 & 20 right by republic steel.

Ok. I've never heard it called that.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:25 AM

2,155 posts, read 5,451,336 times
Quote:
You mean, Calumet Township is in Gary.

People can argue about how it's "not really Gary" all they want, bla bla bla. But if you're going to a bussiness over there, they don't even bother saying they're located in "Calumet Township". They just say "Gary. This is UNLIKE businesses in Miller Beach..
State > County > Township > Municipalities (Town, City, etc.) > Neighborhoods > Subdivisions > Block > House

When people say "Cal Township", they refer to the unincorporated area. The unincorporated area feels much more rural and wooded than some areas in south Lake County. It does not feel like the urban area that Gary is.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:52 AM

4 posts, read 5,477 times
Well I must say its a shame to hear that things have not improved in Gary. Every one I talk to it seems tells me if I come to Gary to come in the day time, and then the day time is not that safe either. I wanted to see the Jackson home so badly, but I cannot find a Jackson fan to come with me and I don't want to travel there alone. So sad.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:30 PM

4,111 posts, read 9,013,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sincerity View Post
Well I must say its a shame to hear that things have not improved in Gary. Every one I talk to it seems tells me if I come to Gary to come in the day time, and then the day time is not that safe either. I wanted to see the Jackson home so badly, but I cannot find a Jackson fan to come with me and I don't want to travel there alone. So sad.
You will be fine. Just do it alone and stop wallowing in sadness.

Do you even plan on getting out of the car? You're just driving past a house.. Some of us work in Gary every day. Some of us even live there..

Old 03-30-2013, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post

Not saying chain restaurants are the best place to eat, but I don't think Gary has any major chain dining restaurants, such as Applebee's, Chili's, Friday's, Olive Garden, Logan's, etc...if a city of over 80,000 people doesn't have at least one major chain restaurant, you know something is wrong.
Actually, there is a Denny's in Gary at the Love's truck stop. Although your point is valid, it's incorrect that there isn't one chain restaurant in Gary.

Old 03-31-2013, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Actually, there is a Denny's in Gary at the Love's truck stop. Although your point is valid, it's incorrect that there isn't one chain restaurant in Gary.
Sadly there's a tinge of truth to having just one chain restaurant and issues. Granted those same people head out to highland, merrillville, griffith to partake in restaurants but the food is better in gary. Honestly like anywhere it's a matter of placement. Miller would be successful esp on lake st or 20 close to lake st. Also the west side over by tri-city and glen park by iun but gleason takes up a nice chunk of land. Anything east of broadway not in miller would be an abject failure.

Old 03-31-2013, 12:42 PM

What qualifies as chain resturants? I guess Subway and Church's Chicken don't count? Philly Steak and Lemonade in Gary is excellent.

Old 03-31-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
What qualifies as chain resturants? I guess Subway and Church's Chicken don't count? Philly Steak and Lemonade in Gary is excellent.
Dont think fast food is being considered, places like fridays, applebees, denny's.

Old 03-31-2013, 01:48 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,898,349 times
Quote:
Having never fully explored Gary, I guess you may be right. Is Denny's the ONLY chain sit down restaurant in Gary? If so that's pretty sad for a city of 80,000 people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana