Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 05:03 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,743,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott0949 View Post
If you stay in the Glen Park area, you'll be fine. That is the area south of 15th avenue and on the west side of Broadway. By the way, Gary is in a major housing revitilaztion program. All these people can laugh but Gary in 5-7 years will be a great city and you won't recognize it. Just stay out of the areas from 12th street to downtown.I know first hand, so the information I gave you is accurate. Good Luck!
15th Avenue is Midtown.

Glen Park starts on the South side of the expressway. It does not start at 15th Avenue, nor is it on the West side of Broadway only. It lies on both the East & West sides of Broadway all the way out to 53rd Avenue, where Merrillville starts.

Your "accuracy" is appalling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 06:27 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,487,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott0949 View Post
If you stay in the Glen Park area, you'll be fine. That is the area south of 15th avenue and on the west side of Broadway. By the way, Gary is in a major housing revitilaztion program. All these people can laugh but Gary in 5-7 years will be a great city and you won't recognize it. Just stay out of the areas from 12th street to downtown.I know first hand, so the information I gave you is accurate. Good Luck!
I think we can safely assume 1 of 2 things about this poster-
1- He isnt a navigator for a living
2-He is trying to lure some unsuspecting person to a part of town they shouldnt be in. For some reason.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:30 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,390,917 times
Glend Park has been down and out for some 15 years. The only spot that still holds its ground is the Miller beach area.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:41 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,487,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
Glend Park has been down and out for some 15 years. The only spot that still holds its ground is the Miller beach area.
And that is SO SAD! Because Glen Park was a GREAT place to be a child. And Lew Wallace was a fantastic school in the 60's! Heck! I remember when us guys from East Glen Park would "rumble" with the guys from West Glen Park. When we were done "rumbling" we would drink a few beers, chase the girls and cruise Broadway together! Those were the days!!!!!!!!

Old 05-30-2009, 02:59 PM
DCR

1 posts, read 5,371 times
Dear Colts, I am a Whiting Resident for 24 years and i have seen this town change from good to bad and bad to good like any area by a big city. Even though we live by pollution whitng is still home and always will be. We have good events like our 4th of july parade, Pierogi Fest and Cruise Nights once a month in the summer. Whiting Park is great looking at Chicago in the distance is nice. The only really bad things are the people that ruin our community with there gang banging trash and gheto ass bull****.There are stupid people everywhere all colors and sizes!

Old 05-30-2009, 03:33 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,537,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCR View Post
Dear Colts, I am a Whiting Resident for 24 years and i have seen this town change from good to bad and bad to good like any area by a big city. Even though we live by pollution whitng is still home and always will be. We have good events like our 4th of july parade, Pierogi Fest and Cruise Nights once a month in the summer. Whiting Park is great looking at Chicago in the distance is nice. The only really bad things are the people that ruin our community with there gang banging trash and gheto ass bull****.There are stupid people everywhere all colors and sizes!
The one time I strolled through Whiting it didn't seem to be too bad.

Old 05-30-2009, 03:54 PM
HFO

7 posts, read 32,105 times
The Glen Park area and parts of Miller are not that bad. Generally speaking, driving around and looking at how well the houses/apts are maintained will correlate with the safety/crime level of the area to some extent. There are a lot of other cities in Northwest Indiana that have inexpensive apartments when compared to Illinois prices.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:31 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,478,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneylova View Post
Before I was trying to get an apartment on the South Side of Chicago, but I think i'd be better off in Gary, and it wouldnt take me long to get to Chicago anyway. Is there certain areas I should be aware of that may be unsafe in Gary?
Is this a trick question?

Old 06-03-2009, 11:29 AM

2 posts, read 15,714 times
The states...avoid all streets that are named after states. The area isn't completely crime ridden. I lived there for about 4 years. Well I did just come from detroit. Go with streets named after presidents. Even better move to hobart or merrillville they are even better places to move and closest to gary/chicago area. Merrillville has the southshore mall everyone goes to as well. My friends and I used to eat at red lobster and have drinks at bennigans all the time.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:27 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,302,796 times
^SouthLAKE Mall, man. Don't be dissin' our mall. Grrrr....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana