Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 06:19 PM

6 posts, read 17,928 times

Advertisements

Does anybody live in the Dyer area and commute for work to Chicago? Looking to relocate and thinking about that area but just concerned about the commute. Thanks,
MM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 06:21 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,339,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman727 View Post
Does anybody live in the Dyer area and commute for work to Chicago? Looking to relocate and thinking about that area but just concerned about the commute. Thanks,
MM

I, personally, don't but many people do. If you're going downtown, I'd recommend the South Shore from either Hammond or (preferably) East Chicago. I think it's NICTD.com but you can google it.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:40 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,753,878 times
The East Chicago station is huge now! Yes, it's the NICTD.

Old 05-24-2009, 01:48 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,422,024 times
If you have to commute to Chicago I would recommend you stick to communities around the city and within Illinois if you can afford the housing. There truly is no advantage to living in Indiana other than the cost.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:24 PM

1 posts, read 10,344 times
I live in Schererville (one block from Dyer) and commute to Chicago every day by car. A lot of people think I'm nuts, but I like to drive and I don't mind the traffic. The South Shore is the train option most people take - but it drops you off on the East side of the City (under the Prudential Building) and I work closer to the Sears Tower. There is also a cheaper way to take the South Shore - by going to Hegwisch. I think a monthly pass is $40 cheaper and only takes you a few minutes more to get there. I live close to 30/41 and really love it there - even have deer, ducks and a few other wild animals in my backyard!

Old 06-10-2009, 01:17 AM

815 posts, read 3,000,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
If you have to commute to Chicago I would recommend you stick to communities around the city and within Illinois if you can afford the housing. There truly is no advantage to living in Indiana other than the cost.
Huh!!!

Most NW Indiana communities are actually closer to downtown Chicago then many Illinois suburbs! Dyer is closer (and is far easier to get to) then Schaumburg or Hoffman Estates is to downtown Chicago. Its a old wives tale that Indiana is far from the city. Hammond is the only city that borders Chicago to the east. Not only is the south shore there if you want a train, Chicago can be driven to on 394 from Dyer.

There are many more reasons to call NW Indiana and Dyer home then just the lower costs. There are some really nice quiet subdivisions, with friendly neighbors, nice parks, close to shopping. $400,000 buys a brand new 4 bedroom 3 bath, 3000 square ft house. There really isn't any reason to spend a fortune in Illinois because you will be not be closer.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:16 PM

2,522 posts, read 4,395,669 times
Steger Road or Rt. 30 to I-394, 60-75 minutes max (to the loop) at the height of rush hour. Super quick commute in terms of a drive in from the suburbs.

Old 06-11-2009, 05:09 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,747,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamama Mia View Post
Steger Road or Rt. 30 to I-394, 60-75 minutes max (to the loop) at the height of rush hour. Super quick commute in terms of a drive in from the suburbs.
Illinois has higher property taxes, plus higher State income tax. I would buy on the Indiana side.

Old 06-13-2009, 02:13 PM

98 posts, read 279,445 times
Ind sales tax and property tax are way better than IL. I used to live in chicago heights and commute to merriville to work in rush hour only way to hwys is rt 30 you going to sit for a long time. It is the first town into ind though so it be quicker than Munster etc. highland is nice and quick commute its Ind. Crown Pont to also and its off I-65 Lofs is in there a gated community that is cheap with 4 lakes. Stay away from Gary,Hobart,grifith etc!!

Old 06-15-2009, 12:34 PM

17,449 posts, read 14,686,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw79 View Post
Ind sales tax and property tax are way better than IL. I used to live in chicago heights and commute to merriville to work in rush hour only way to hwys is rt 30 you going to sit for a long time. It is the first town into ind though so it be quicker than Munster etc. highland is nice and quick commute its Ind. Crown Pont to also and its off I-65 Lofs is in there a gated community that is cheap with 4 lakes. Stay away from Gary,Hobart,grifith etc!!
The gated community thing is so misleading.

It's gated, I guess, with security and resident stickers and the like - but it really isn't what people think a "gated community" is.

I remember my first time there - I stopped at the gate and they asked for my name and who I was visiting. After 3 tries, I gave up and made up some fake (and easier to say) names - of both me & my resident friend.

Drove right on in.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana