Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 04:28 PM

51 posts, read 169,295 times

Advertisements

That is a spectacular looking subdivision that I have been looking at recently as well. I believe there is a Homeowners Association for Falling Waters - I would try to get my hands on the meeting schedule to meet with the residents and get their perspective on living there.

Perhaps, try this link to see if you can get in touch with someone who can provide you with the Homeowners meeting schedule and location:

http://www.atscamping.com/FallingWaters/ContactUsTest.htm

After doing some digging online, it does seem that some of the issues documented in the previous threads are true. However, the issues appear to have been documented when the subdivision initially opened. I would be curious to see if the issues have since been resolved or if they are still a work in progress. Here is an article which summarizes some of the issues documented in April 2007.

[SIZE=2]Ban on new permits for private subdivision[/SIZE]
[
Best of luck and please keep us posted if you find any additional information!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 10:02 AM

17 posts, read 49,042 times
I've lived out here for 4 years and LOVE it. It is beautiful and I can't imagine living elsewhere. Now, when we were first looking to build, we visited Doubletree and the real estate agents there told us not to bother looking in Falling Waters, the toilets don't flush and everyone hates each other. I wonder if Chuckity was involved? True, 4 years ago one of the water boosters (when there were only like 20 homes) wasn't working properly and was fixed. In the 4 years I've lived there, I've never had a problem with water pressure (over 70 homes now) and my neighbors are a great bunch of people. As for the roads, the final lift is not on. We are talking about paving the front of the subdivison where there are more houses, but the back is definitely on hold. The gates close at night (6pm in winter, 8pm in winter) and you need a code or have someone buzz you in to get in. There are other subdivsions that have had empty contracter built houses for just as long as us (I think Feather Rock is down to 1 from 2005 that they just dropped the price down and White Hawk West has a BUNCH from 2006). We had 6 empty foreclosured houses (in various degrees of completion) from 1 builder that went under, then when some of those foreclosed houses had offers on them, the bank went under. As for taxes, they are low and I'd believe the other person's comment on them. Chuckity needs to do more research before he responds to someone elses's tax assessment. I'll respond to more when I have the time.

Old 09-02-2009, 01:45 PM

17,379 posts, read 14,626,192 times
Is there a post on the open front gate telling residents to come on over to CD and defend Falling Waters? Two posts from two different (or not) people who've only posted once in this forum?

It wasn't me over at Doubletree - I wasn't an Indiana agent then. And even if I was, there are 2 agents (maybe 3) who have that area pretty much locked up.

Listen, if you like FW, more power to you. Glad you're living over there.

But anyone driving through that subdivision can see there are problems. It doesn't take an expert to see that it's starting to look a little worn around the edges - the streets, the weeds, etc.

For the price, you can find other comparable homes in Porter county, in much more desirable school districts and pay $1K-$4K less in taxes. That is a fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavisdavis View Post
I've lived out here for 4 years and LOVE it. It is beautiful and I can't imagine living elsewhere. Now, when we were first looking to build, we visited Doubletree and the real estate agents there told us not to bother looking in Falling Waters, the toilets don't flush and everyone hates each other. I wonder if Chuckity was involved? True, 4 years ago one of the water boosters (when there were only like 20 homes) wasn't working properly and was fixed. In the 4 years I've lived there, I've never had a problem with water pressure (over 70 homes now) and my neighbors are a great bunch of people. As for the roads, the final lift is not on. We are talking about paving the front of the subdivison where there are more houses, but the back is definitely on hold. The gates close at night (6pm in winter, 8pm in winter) and you need a code or have someone buzz you in to get in. There are other subdivsions that have had empty contracter built houses for just as long as us (I think Feather Rock is down to 1 from 2005 that they just dropped the price down and White Hawk West has a BUNCH from 2006). We had 6 empty foreclosured houses (in various degrees of completion) from 1 builder that went under, then when some of those foreclosed houses had offers on them, the bank went under. As for taxes, they are low and I'd believe the other person's comment on them. Chuckity needs to do more research before he responds to someone elses's tax assessment. I'll respond to more when I have the time.

Old 09-13-2009, 08:48 PM

1 posts, read 6,792 times
We just went to Falling Waters today and stopped at an open house. We spoke to a realtor that said the only yearly due for the subdivision now is the $600 for the POA dues. We asked her specifically about the conservancy fees and so on but she said the loan/grant that was given to the developer to fix the roads has been purchased by someone and the fee is no longer. Still worried though... Anyone else have more info?

Read more: [URL]//www.city-data.com/forum/northwest-indiana/665491-falling-waters-subdivision-crown-point-indiana.html#ixzz0R9DHapPO[/URL]

Old 09-29-2009, 04:00 PM
d&m

6 posts, read 22,858 times
recently toured an open house and five foreclosed homes in the subdivision. I asked the realtor about the homeowners dues, taxes, conservancy fees, water fee, sewer fees etc etc. I was given a list of contact to call for each of the fees and was told I needed to do my own research. Here is what I found out...
Taxes - Porter County Treasure & Assessors office: " FW is a private subdivision with a 10 million dollar bond that was posted by the developer and therefore EVERY RESIDENT / LOT OWNER will pay that bond back over time. Hence- your conservancy fee of $1800 (to increase to $2300), this fee will "slightly" decrease when more homes are built and occupied. There are only 80 Homes built LEAVING almost 400 lot's to be built on.
Conservancy Fee: 1800 (rounded) to increase to 2300 over time...
Taxes: Will be based on a "PRIVATE SUBDIVISION : There will not be a home under 7,000 in taxes (does not include exemptions).
Sewer/ Wastewater Fee: Dr. Gutierrez - (A resident and acting chairman for the conservancy district for FW) $235.00 (was 54.00 but had to increase and gave a long story on the reasons why).
Overland Flood Route Fee: 5-15 a month -Dr. Gutierrez (still unclear as to why there is a separate fee for this- why is it not included in the wastewater fee).
Homeowners Assoc Fee: Donald Plumb - ( A resident and President of the HOA for FW) - 700.00 ./ year - Should have never been over $600.00 / year.
Dr. Gutierrez - stated that there was a private firm hired to access the streets, pounds and overall infrastructure of the subdivision. There was a report submitted to the Porter County Planning Commission of which has a detailed outline of the Multiple problems which include but not limited to the following. Sink Holes, Drainage Problems, Erosion Problems, Easement Issues....
Mike Haller - Porter County Building Commissioner - Stated that you MUST do your homework and find out everything you can before buying in the subdivision.
After all that... I realized that FW is one of those subdivision that everyone knows there is problems, but b/c of the legal rift raft ... they keep their mouths shut. And of course the people in there... well they want to have some sort of resale value....
RUN...

Old 10-05-2009, 09:37 AM

2 posts, read 13,006 times
Just heard about this forum and decided to join in. As a resident, I find it disheartening that rumors about Falling Waters, left unchecked, grow to such proportions. I spoke with a prospective buyer recently that said they were told by their realtor to stay away because there are water problems. Not true. Indiana American Water has been supplying service since 2003. The booster station was put into operation in 2007.
Some of the statements that have been mentioned are true. Many are old issues tha have been resolved.
Those that are curious should take a drive through and see for themselves. Take the time to stop and speak with a few residents. Especially at these reduced prices.

Facts Matter

Old 10-07-2009, 12:12 AM

17 posts, read 49,042 times
I appreciate that you tried to do your own research. Unfortunately, I think that you received so much information that some of your facts got a little confused. I'd really like to correct a few things. My response to your statements is in the dark print.

Falling Waters subdivision with a 10 million dollar bond that was posted by the developer and therefore EVERY RESIDENT / LOT OWNER will pay that bond back over time. Hence- your conservancy fee of $1800 (to increase to $2300), this fee will "slightly" decrease when more homes are built and occupied. There are only 80 Homes built LEAVING almost 400 lot's to be built on.
There are only 396 platted lots. Out of the 396 lots, there are 149 lots sold and there are 70 homes built on the sold lots. THAT leaves 249 lots available.

Conservancy Fee: 1800 (rounded) to increase to 2300 over time...
True...The current exceptional benefits tax is $1,753 per lot and will increase in 2012 to $2,049 per lot As future tap-in fees are paid and recapture fees are collected from IAWC the amount of the tax will reduce more than slightly. Also if the FWCD were to expand it's territory (from other subdivsions or businesses tapping in) the tax, potentially, could be greatly reduced!

Taxes: Will be based on a "PRIVATE SUBDIVISION : There will not be a home under 7,000 in taxes (does not include exemptions).
Who told you this? My house is pretty big (3,600 finished, 5,700 overall) and I paid $4,800 in taxes. That is INCLUDING the conservancy tax.

Sewer/ Wastewater Fee: Dr. Gutierrez - (A resident and acting chairman for the conservancy district for FW) $235.00 (was 54.00 but had to increase and gave a long story on the reasons why).
Our sewer fee was $50.00 (not $54.00) and was increased to $100.00 in September of this year. It is not $235.00 nor has it ever been proposed to be $235.00.

Overland Flood Route Fee: 5-15 a month -Dr. Gutierrez (still unclear as to why there is a separate fee for this- why is it not included in the wastewater fee).
False. I have no idea to what he is referring. At this time there is no "Overland flood fee" and none has been publicly presented. I have never paid a separate bill for this fee.

Homeowners Assoc Fee: Donald Plumb - ( A resident and President of the HOA for FW) - 700.00 ./ year - Should have never been over $600.00 / year. In 2009 the feeincreased from $600 to $700, but I paid $720 when I lived in an 1100 sq foot townhome in Lowell. 4 Seasons pays $1,200. Not sure why this is objectionable. The statement "Should have never been over $600/yr" is an opinion and is false.

Dr. Gutierrez - stated that there was a private firm hired to access the streets, pounds and overall infrastructure of the subdivision. There was a report submitted to the Porter County Planning Commission of which has a detailed outline of the Multiple problems which include but not limited to the following. Sink Holes, Drainage Problems, Erosion Problems, Easement Issues.... True, but old news! The report showed only minor road and erosion control problems and defects. They were all corrected and the Porter County Planning Commission was satisfied and dropped the issue in 2007. The same report also said the water lines, storm seweres and sanitary sewers were all acceptable.
Just to point out, we do not have the final lift on our roads as of yet.

Mike Haller - Porter County Building Commissioner - Stated that you MUST do your homework and find out everything you can before buying in the subdivision. Mike Haller is correct! You should do your homework before you buy in any subdivision. But make sure you gather accurate information from reliable sources! There is a lot of information out there and some of it has been twisted by some people who dislike the developer or want you to buy in the subdivision they are pushing. Don't be deceived by what a few, but vocal people are saying.

After all that... I realized that FW is one of those subdivision that everyone knows there is problems, but b/c of the legal rift raft ... they keep their mouths shut. And of course the people in there... well they want to have some sort of resale value....
We have 3 doctors, 2 real estate agents, an airline pilot, a school principal, a school board member, a superintendent of schools, teachers, a pharmacist, nursing supervisors, numerous RN's and people in the technical side of the medical field, a clinical psychologist, a bank vice-president, engineers, many small business owners, a union business agent AND a retired chief of police (to name a few). If you think that this sounds like a group of people who will lie to you to get you to move into our subdivision, you are wrong. Look, here's my advice. Do not move out here if you are on a budget. That foreclosed, UNFINISHED $200,000 home is a great deal if you want to make a home for yourself in the most beautiful setting and around some of the best neighbors. If you are looking to buy something for $200,000 and you are on a budget, forget it. That house needs at least another $100,000 to bring it up to snuff. THAT is honest advice.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:54 AM

2 posts, read 13,006 times
MavisDavis,
I agree with most of what you have written. You are right on with the taxes and Conservancy District fee along with the sewer fee.

Don Plumb of the HOA was correct about the $600 fee. The fee was capped by the Declaration at "no more than $600.00 per year." It should be noted that this is the first year that the board of directors of the HOA is made up of five residents and we have a property management company. RY Properties. Mr.Plumb and RY are two good sources of info for prospective buyers.

The roads. What to do about the roads. A little history is appropriate here. The binder course throughout the subdivision was completed in 2003. The final lift or top coat was never applied. There is over $300,000 remaining in a bond issue that is contolled by Porter County. A report was generated and paid for by the Commissioners in 2007. Much of the work generated by that report has been completed.
Full disclosure: There are roads that need repair. These repairs will need to be done prior to the top coat being applied. Bids to do this work are currently being sought.
Our subdivision lies within the boundaries of the Falling Waters Conservancy District. 2009 is the first year that the majority of the board are residents.
Why is this important to me? 2009 is the first year where if I have a question or a problem, I can contact the Conservancy District or the HOA and speak with a neighbor who can actually get something done. Years of waiting around for something to happen has turned into a proactive group of individuals that have weathered the worst and will move Falling Waters forward.

factsmatter

Old 10-30-2009, 07:07 PM

5 posts, read 27,315 times
Default Falling Waters

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerbbbs View Post
WOW..... After reading the postings that ONE person wrote about Falling Waters they must be disgruntal or something, but bottom line they are NOT true as I have lived in Falling Waters for 3 years and LOVE IT! The Taxes and conservancy fee together for my 4400 square foot home are less than 5K per year, the water pressure is great, roads are fine, neighbors are friendly, wildlife everwhere, fishing in the lakes is supurb, GREAT schools, and the list goes on and on.... please ask the neighbors that do live here what they think as to my knowledge they all LOVE IT!!
I am glad to here this cause I really do love Falling water I live in the lofs right now and I am currently looking to buy in Falling Water we can make it work as a community!!

Old 11-02-2009, 08:31 AM
d&m

6 posts, read 22,858 times
The Fact still remains...the developer (Tony - based out of New lenox) who still owns most of the lots in FW will not fix or do anything for the residents in FW . He verified most of the negative comments and has no plan on making good in the subdivision. The big issue here is the BOND of $10 million that was taken by TONY and the FACT is that the residents are now PAYING that back. Not to mention that somone like this guy can't make good on the residents of the subdivision. Road problems still are in full effect, people are unhappy ( the majority rules), home value are next to none... and hold no value what so ever! If you think that the two foreclosures that recently sold for under 300,000 help, you are nuts. For those of you that are living in some sort of DREAM LAND... well keep living in one... and when you can't sell your home now, or even 10 years from now at what you paid... then you can ask yourself ... hmm where did I go wrong? Stubborn individuals who had something to prove and now have nothing to show other then NOT doing your HOMEWORK before buying something that looked GREAT but falling apart UNDERNEATH. Real smart. Hey people make mistakes... now it's time to admit it folks. And for those of you who want to risk your hard earned money in this subdivision - well more power to you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana