Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 10:49 PM

17 posts, read 48,769 times

Advertisements

Hey d&m, I have looked at your past posts in other threads, and you have a history of having to have your facts corrected. You said in one post that..."almost the whole town of Munster flooded last year". In another you infer that NWI housing is overpriced compared..."to a home in a fluent illinois neighborhood." (yes, fluent!) In this last post you found a most interesting use for the verb verified. People are correcting you wherever you go! It almost makes me want to cry TROLL.

Look, I know from my own personal knowledge that your post from 09/29/09 was especially wrong. Someone had to step in and correct misinformation. I am sorry if you are resentful of that but the bottom line is that you were spreading WRONG information. In your new post you have not even tried to address any of the points I brought up. I even asked where you got some of your info. and pointed out when you were right. I didn't DREAM that you were spreading mistruths on purpose, now I wonder. There is no need to be combative, mean and snarky. although that is easily done when you are anonymous...

To discuss your new post, there are currently the Conservancy Board and the Home Owners Board that are addressing any concerns with Falling Waters. Our 2 boards are made up of Homeowners. We are making our own decisions and "fixing and doing" for ourselves. The developer is still responsible for our roads, however. When we decide to finish them, the developer will have to pay for it all. I don't know what you call a majority, but I live out here and I can tell you that the Majority of Homeowners ARE happy living out here. They all seemed happy at our neighborhood 70's party a few months back. Our new neighbors sure felt welcomed! I don't know of one household that wants to move. Out of 3 families that have their houses for sale, one is a builder who has money issues and is living in his other house out here, one is moving to Texas for their job and the other has to sell because of a divorce and she MIGHT actually remain out here. (The other houses for sale have never been lived in). As I plan on living in my house for the next 20 years or so, I don't care if I make money on this house. (Yes, the novelty of someone who wants to live in their house and make relationships with their neighbors.) I suspect that nowadays, people who do expect to make money in the short term will be sadly disappointed no matter where they move.

By the way, one fact that I forgot to mention in my previous post about the taxes in Falling Waters, the Conservancy tax is TAX DEDUCTIBLE. People forget that, but that fee is considered as a deduction from your income. Although, I do find it a bit like robbing Peter to pay Paul, it is still applicable. Also, another fun fact, the developer is responsible for paying back the bond on all the lots that he owns. He has to make payments of $1,753.00 for each lot that he owns, thus taking some of the burden off the homeowners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 06:30 AM

17,763 posts, read 39,595,647 times
mavis ... I applaud your tenacity in making FW a liveable community. Kudos to you and your fellow residents. That being said ... wow, for the money you are spending to live there .... IMHO, you guys are working way to hard to make it liveable. For anyone who wants to deal with that, more power to them, but man ... I have to ask if this is what you signed up for when you purchased your lot.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:56 AM

17 posts, read 48,769 times
Hi domergurl...

The way I look at it is this...It is ALWAYS tough to live in a new subdivision. It isn't for the meek. I saw Briar Ridge go up when I was a kid and while that was well thought out and people loved the main builders, people were STILL constantly finding fault with stuff (OMG when that first Modern Asian influenced home went up...WOW, the complaining). I have always lived where there was an HOA and I know that there are always 3 groups in a subdivision. one group does everything, one group argues about everything and one group really doesn't care and just keeps to themselves. Lesson learned: if you want everything done, then you need to build somewhere that is at least 60% built out and with the developer off any boards. You do not want to be one of the first ones in. This year was a tough one as the residents just took over both boards and got control of the monies. Next year will be better and so will the next. Our subdivision is not about our developer, it is about our residents, who are a great group of people. (truly, they are.) I really don't know of any subdivisions that like their developer.

I happen to love living out here, everyday I feel like I'm on vacation. While I know it is not everyone's cup of tea, (My background is in Interior Design, so I KNOW we all don't have the same tastes!) all I ask is to keep the facts straight. That way people can make their own informed decisions. Personally, I don't find the fees to be overmuch. We looked at Aberdeen and their fees seemed pretty comparable and they also had a Conservancy District. Of course, you never know until you get in how everything is going to shake out. We moved from Lake County to Porter County, so we really haven't noticed that big of a difference. However, we are realistic and we expected to pay more because this house is way bigger then our last house. As for the $1,753.00 fee? No, we didn't expect it to be that much, we were expecting more like $1,100. But a plus for us is that the fee is tax deductible which helps us on April 15. We also expected the HOA dues to be more than $700. That seems cheap when we compare to other subdivisions.

I appreciate this forum as an opportunity to straighten out the facts. I am happy to answer any questions or If I don't know the answer, point you towards someone else. We don't need to agree on where to live, just respect each other to let the facts stand.

Old 11-27-2009, 02:47 PM

1 posts, read 3,558 times
Wow, this is sad to hear that people thinking Falling Waters is a bad place to live. This is one of the most beautiful neighborhoods in the area and a great place to enjoy your family. The facts that many people posted earlier are grossly incorrect. I can't believe I actually read something about giant sinkholes and poor water pressure. Really people? If that was the case, I would not have bought a house there. Comments like these are just irresponsible, but everyone has the right to post I guess.

My advice for perspective homeowners would be to talk to someone in the neighborhood while you are looking at properties, contact the tax assessor for information on lots, and consider contacting the president of falling waters HOA. This should give you the information you need to help in your decision.

Cheers!

Old 11-29-2009, 10:07 AM

1 posts, read 3,492 times
I am so sorry to hear of all the negative comments from a few disgruntaled (obviously homeowners). I myself believe that the school system is the best and do have comparables for my children. We came from a Valpo school system, and when we switch to PLE I could have sworn we were going to a private school. Me and my husband were thoroughly impressed. It is a new subdivsion, and yes it all actually started to grow when the economy started to decline, however I absolutely believe it is still one of the most beautiful subdivisions in Porter Co. Just down the street ( lake co. side) you'll be paying double the taxes. Falling Waters Subdivision was never ment for people who couldn't afford to live there....it's an upscale neighborhood. The neighbors are some of the loveliest people I have ever met....I would feel completely safe for my children to play freely in this neighborhood. The roads are not truly finished roads because there are still many buildable lots and construction traffic would damage the finished roads. The dev. opened up the whole subdivison for development instead of doing it in phases. We have owned our lot for a few yrs, because we have other homes for sale (my husband builds) and I can assure you sales have ceased everywhere. Unless you're giving it away, buyers are leary. Now is the time to BUY, and I can assure you when this is all over you'll be glad you invested 275,000 for a 700,000 home. Keep in mind successful investors buy low and sell high, while others follow the trend. I can't wait to build in there .......<mod cut advertising>

Last edited by domergurl; 11-29-2009 at 12:26 PM..

Old 12-08-2009, 12:37 AM
d&m

6 posts, read 22,739 times
Default Interesting....

Subdivision sued by bank for unpaid loan :: Porter County :: Post-Tribune (http://www.post-trib.com/news/porter/1883490,fallingwaters1114.article - broken link)

Old 12-09-2009, 02:52 PM

17,763 posts, read 39,595,647 times
wow ... love to see how the residents feel about this ... you can't write this one off as a "oh this happens all the time".

Old 08-10-2010, 08:48 AM

40 posts, read 119,532 times
Interesting thread... found this while researching the area. Has anything changed in the last year?

Old 10-02-2010, 05:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,559 times
Falling Waters is the most beautiful subdivision in northwest Indiana, it's peaceful scenery is like no other. Like all new upscale developments such as White Hawk, Briar Ridge, and Doubletree there's always going to be problems......and you'll always find residents that will complain. I have lived in FW 4 years, and love it! I have a 3000 sq.ft. home on a half acre, my taxes w/ consevancy fee are $4100 per year......if my home and lot were in Doubletree I'd be paying more than double that! Several foreclosed homes have sold, been completed, and are now occupied by families. We also recently had a lot owner break ground to begin construction on thier new home. The neighborhood is a true old fashioned friendly neigborhood, everyone gets together for cookouts and holiday parties. Falling Waters is gorgeous, has beautiful homes, low low taxes, 4 star schools, and the neighbors are great..........

Old 10-02-2010, 10:36 PM

16,931 posts, read 14,252,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WUZWILD View Post
Falling Waters is the most beautiful subdivision in northwest Indiana, it's peaceful scenery is like no other. Like all new upscale developments such as White Hawk, Briar Ridge, and Doubletree there's always going to be problems......and you'll always find residents that will complain. I have lived in FW 4 years, and love it! I have a 3000 sq.ft. home on a half acre, my taxes w/ consevancy fee are $4100 per year......if my home and lot were in Doubletree I'd be paying more than double that! Several foreclosed homes have sold, been completed, and are now occupied by families. We also recently had a lot owner break ground to begin construction on thier new home. The neighborhood is a true old fashioned friendly neigborhood, everyone gets together for cookouts and holiday parties. Falling Waters is gorgeous, has beautiful homes, low low taxes, 4 star schools, and the neighbors are great..........
Is there a sign by the unmanned front gate telling residents to post & run here at cd?

Taxes at Doubletree are not twitce what you're paying - if anything they're a bit less. And taxes aren't "low low" ... they're just not.

Now, let's talk about the schools ... the high school is slipping and the elementary & middle? Not so hot really. Does it mean BG churns out idiots? Of course not. But the schools are not on par with the better districts in the Region.

I will say it is set in a pretty location - but the crumbling roads & curbs in some spots take a way a little from the beauty. As for the "most beautiful"? I'd actually give that award (if it existed) to Shorewood ... or maybe Bridlewood or Pepper Creek.

I'm glad you enjoy your neighborhood, but coming here in your first post to tell a bunch of 1/2 truths doesn't bode too well for your cause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana