Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2009, 10:42 PM

51 posts, read 169,258 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I grew up in da Region but moved to Chicago after college. My wife and I are looking to possibly move back to the area but continue to work downtown. We are looking to find a community that is a good fit but not too far from the city. Can anyone provide any information about the Miller Beach area? Miller Beach seems to be the only town in Lake County that has housing directly on the water but I would appreciate if someone could provide any additional information for the area (i.e. safety is our main concern).

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 12:03 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,417,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang219 View Post
Hi All,

I grew up in da Region but moved to Chicago after college. My wife and I are looking to possibly move back to the area but continue to work downtown. We are looking to find a community that is a good fit but not too far from the city. Can anyone provide any information about the Miller Beach area? Miller Beach seems to be the only town in Lake County that has housing directly on the water but I would appreciate if someone could provide any additional information for the area (i.e. safety is our main concern).

Thanks in advance!
The Miller Beach area is a very nice area. It is very accessible from Chicago. It has a reputation for being a wealthy area populated mostly by retirees or wealthy second-homeowners from Chicago and Indianapolis.

Miller Beach is pretty expensive. Most of the homes with direct lake frontage or access are in the $1 million range, which is actually a bargain when comparing it to locations in Illinois and Southwestern Michigan.

Miller Beach unfortunately is in Gary, Indiana and that has given it a poor reputation address wise. Miller Beach is a very safe area, but the heart of Gary is not the safest area, but has made tremendous improvements in public safety over the years. The crime rate in Gary is statistically lower than Chicago's.

Michigan City and a few others have lakefront property, but Miller Beach is the only luxurious area commuting distance to Chicago.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:08 AM

211 posts, read 947,423 times
I don't know much about Miller Beach but I had a neighbor when I lived in Chicago who had a place there and loved it.

Ogden Dunes or the Porter Co Dunes areas look to have nice houses. Beverly shores also, I think. Ogden Dunes has a south shore station so the commute is easy.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:45 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,147,548 times
Unfortunately Odgen Dunes is a very shallow part of the lake. Growing up in Miller, it is a nice community and yes it is a part of Gary so if you have children you may want to look at a private school as Gary Community schools is currenltly in shambles.

Old 07-16-2009, 02:34 PM

2,522 posts, read 4,390,755 times
After dining at Miller Beach Cafe, we hoped to be able to walk to the beach, but the area did not appear to be at all safe. Beverly Shores is a wonderful community, friends who were on staff at the University of Chicago reside there and have loved the interaction with other residents.

Old 07-17-2009, 06:59 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
I had several work collegues who have homes in Beverly Shores. It's very old school money.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:15 PM

4 posts, read 25,260 times
its a dive. Its only nice compared to gary.Im looking to relocate to NWI and it was the first place we looked cause everyone said how nice it was. I wouldnt live there for free. we saw three vacant houses, a dead dog in the street and police respondidng to an argument outside one of the gas staions there, which had no bathroom and the girl behind the 5 inches of glass couldnt even here me

If your used to feeling safe and not being nervous stay away!

Old 06-18-2011, 02:17 PM

1 posts, read 16,800 times
Considering that Miller Beach is usually about a one hour drive from the Chicago loop, that it is the first lakefront private property available in Indiana East of Chicago, it is a bargain. There is a large diffence from the Miller area of Gary and the Miller Beach area of Gary. Before critism should be posted, the posters should learn the difference. True, beachfront houses are typicially in the $500,000 and up range, but if you desire to live 4 blocks south of the lakefront the prices are VERY reasonable. I have lived in the Wrigley area of Chicago before, and while it does have it's charms, Miller Beach is much more relaxed and less congested, and much more quiet. In ten years living here, there has not been any significant crime of any kind.

Old 12-16-2011, 04:09 PM

2 posts, read 18,756 times
Could anyone address the access to hospitals (health care, supermarkets, mass transit)? I have a need for these things as well as a longing for the lush greens of my childhood. Any and all information regarding this as well as what the population is like will be greatly appreciated :-)

Old 12-16-2011, 04:34 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,147,548 times
Closest hospital I believe is Methodist Northlake downtown. There is a supermarket off of 12 & 20. Route 13 is the bus that heads out to Miller in which you can catch to the Metro center and access other points, in the city as well as Hammond, Merrillville and Crown Point. You can catch the South Short right there at Lake Street at the track across the street from McDonalds. Miller is still relatively nice esp. the closer to the lake you are and of course all of the Dunes are all still there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana