U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 10:14 PM

33 posts, read 393,600 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I was wondering. What city in Northwest Indiana be better.Merrillville or Schereville? What hotel would anybody recommend staying at? Who has the most crimes Merrillville or Schereville?
Thanks!
Chris Flynn
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2006, 02:13 PM

17,696 posts, read 38,280,276 times
Well, you can look it up on this site, but I'd say that Schererville is the nicer of the two at this point. Merrillville has it's own school system and Schererville feeds into the Lake Central school system. There are a ton of hotels on the 65/US 30 interchange.

Old 07-13-2006, 08:44 PM

2 posts, read 9,835 times
i live in michigan city indiana which is not 2 far from merriville or Schereville. Scherville is by munster (which is a nice area my boyfriend use to live there) IF you are looking for a easy way to get off and on 65 i would suggest staying in hobart. Hobart is where the mall is located and alot of shopping is around there. Goodluck!

Old 07-14-2006, 10:23 PM

2,887 posts, read 6,397,968 times
Plenty of motels and shopping at I-65 and Route 30 in Merrillville/Hobart.

I like La Quinta Inn the best.

Old 07-15-2006, 09:18 PM

33 posts, read 393,600 times
Question What areas of Merrillville and Schereville??

What areas of Merrillville and Schereville have the most crime and the less crimes?
Thanks!!
Chris Flynn
P.S. Any recommendation on great hotels in either Merrillville or Schereville? Thank you again.

Old 07-19-2006, 03:17 PM

3 posts, read 13,528 times
Default be careful in Merrillville

If you stay in Merrillville, I would recommend avoiding the hotels located off the 61st Street exit - that area is pretty close to Gary, so the crime rate is higher there. I would recommend staying at one of the hotels along US 30 in Merrillville. La Quinta is nice, but all the hotels in that immediate area by the mall (La Quinta, Days Inn, Howard Johnson) have had problems with late-night at-gunpoint holdups. If you're after security, go for the Radisson Star Plaza right near the US 30 exit - it's probably the safest in the area. Or, stay at one of the Marriott properties there - Courtyard or Residence Inn. They're both right by the Star Plaza.

Schererville is probably overall a much nicer and safer (also more affluent) area than Merrillville, but I don't have a clue what hotels are that way.

Avoid the Amerihost Inn off 80-94.

Old 08-06-2006, 09:33 PM

8,488 posts, read 11,117,206 times
I grew up in this area and still have family there. Do a search on one of the travel websites for Schererville. I know there are one or two places on Indianpolis Blvd--41 and 30. Stayed at one a few years ago. It wasn't a five star hotel, but clean and comfy. Also recently stayed at a new Hampton Inn in Munster, probably 15-20 minutes from Schererville, depending on traffic which is always a factor there. Again, not fancy, but clean and comfortable for a night. When I was a child in the area both places were relatively crime free. My sister recently moved back to the area and choose Schererville because it was a nice, family town. No matter where you are in Lake County though, it's a fairly urbanized area. You always need to exercise caution. (or I've just become too spoiled by Southern Indiana).

Old 08-09-2006, 09:22 PM

2,887 posts, read 6,397,968 times
I've stayed at LaQuinta Inn in Merrillville with no problems at all.

No motels that I can think of in Schererville, Munster isn't that far away, but traffic on Route 41 is hellish.

Theres not much "town" to Schererville, most of the action is on Route 41 and its shopping centers, etc.

Ross Township (Merrillville) has the lowest property taxes around, and a very good school system.

Old 08-14-2006, 12:13 AM

3 posts, read 17,680 times
north side of both of them have the most crime and southside has the least.

Linda G

Old 12-14-2009, 07:52 AM

1 posts, read 4,886 times
where can i find pictures of schererville in, ive looked all over the web , also does anyone know how i can find the street addresss from 1997 and 98? ive tracked my family to schereville in, but have hit a wall, thanks...anyone??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana