Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 08:00 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,225,158 times

Advertisements

I think the problem is that there is no competing. Why compete if one can say that they do not have to do anything but latch on to whatever Chicago has?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 08:33 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,606,786 times
I consider NW Indiana as part of the Chicago area. No question.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:51 PM

169 posts, read 500,798 times
Seeing as there's a city called East Chicago in northwest Indiana... I'd disagree with the notion that northwest Indiana is not generally considered part of the Chicago metro area.

And it's not really analogous to NYC/New Jersey. Northern New Jersey is yards away from Manhattan and Staten Island (across a thin river). East Chicago is dozens of miles from downtown Chicago. Just look at a map and measure it with your fingers. Not nearly the same situation.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:51 PM

41 posts, read 91,559 times
Let me add my voice to chorus of Illinoisans who absolutely view NWI as part of the Chicago metro area. There's no doubt that NWI gets short shrift in the Chicago media, but that's not a problem unique to NWI. I'd argue that the same holds true for the south suburbs on the Illinois side as well. Outside of the city, the Chicago media is very much fixated on the North Shore and northwest suburbs IMO.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:50 PM

17,397 posts, read 14,631,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k3worker View Post
Let me add my voice to chorus of Illinoisans who absolutely view NWI as part of the Chicago metro area. There's no doubt that NWI gets short shrift in the Chicago media, but that's not a problem unique to NWI. I'd argue that the same holds true for the south suburbs on the Illinois side as well. Outside of the city, the Chicago media is very much fixated on the North Shore and northwest suburbs IMO.
One of the many reasons I watch Fox in the morning - Mark Strehl is one of the only weather forecasters who #1, actually mention Porter county with any kind of frequency and #2, who don't stand directly in front of Indiana while reporting the weather.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:04 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,442,133 times
Where is Indiana???

All kidding aside, I acknowledge the fact that NWI is a part of the Chicago metro area according to the Census. However, I feel like it's more its own entity than other regions of Chicagoland because NWI is such a vastly different place compared to the rest of the metro area, in appearance and function, and the towns in NWI are large enough that, without Illinois in the picture, they would be defined as their own metro area. There are some large suburbs like Naperville and Joliet that would also be considered separate metro areas if they were on their own, but they maintain closer links to Chicago in many ways than NWI. Also, NWI can be grouped into part of the south suburbs, which are more familiar but still forgettable because they're not really desirable places to live or visit.

In reference to the original poster's comment: if you consider big box retailers and restaurants as a draw to your region, it might be seen as forgettable to outsiders.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Where is Indiana???

All kidding aside, I acknowledge the fact that NWI is a part of the Chicago metro area according to the Census. However, I feel like it's more its own entity than other regions of Chicagoland because NWI is such a vastly different place compared to the rest of the metro area, in appearance and function, and the towns in NWI are large enough that, without Illinois in the picture, they would be defined as their own metro area. There are some large suburbs like Naperville and Joliet that would also be considered separate metro areas if they were on their own, but they maintain closer links to Chicago in many ways than NWI. Also, NWI can be grouped into part of the south suburbs, which are more familiar but still forgettable because they're not really desirable places to live or visit.

In reference to the original poster's comment: if you consider big box retailers and restaurants as a draw to your region, it might be seen as forgettable to outsiders.
What?

With all due respect ... you must be high.

Seriously.

I take issue with a lot of your post, but the bolded is ... just plain crazy.

One of the pictures is downtown Valparaiso - the other is downtown Oak Park. If you didn't have familiarity with the businesses or see the license plates, is the appearance REALLY that different?

Google house pics of Cicero and Hammond.

Or St. John and Naperville.

There are differences, sure. But those same differences also exist between, let's say, Blue Island and Winnetka.

Last edited by Chuckity; 03-22-2011 at 04:15 PM..

Old 09-08-2009, 10:03 AM

7 posts, read 18,655 times
Chuckity, with all due respect. You are a Realtor. I'm interested in your opinions and that of others. Yet, you strike your words with anger. It is difficult to see your wisdom this way. Hoosiers are friendly people.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplydanielle View Post
Chuckity, with all due respect. You are a Realtor. I'm interested in your opinions and that of others. Yet, you strike your words with anger. It is difficult to see your wisdom this way. Hoosiers are friendly people.
Hmmm ... angry? Not really. Dumbfounded? Yep.

How someone could pretty much say that once you cross the state line it's a "vastly different place" just boggles my mind.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:42 PM

7 posts, read 18,655 times
You are not to quote words I did not write.
In summation I wrote there exists a political issue between the state lines.
I'm on to other topics, thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana