Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2010, 11:23 AM

4 posts, read 19,934 times

Advertisements

My husband lost his job here in Valparaiso. He found a new job, but it's in South Bend about a 50 mile commute. I love Valparaiso all our friends and family are here and my kids go to a great school. I am trying to find a good town that is equal driving distance between Valpo and South Bend. Probably a little closer to Valpo then South Bend. I looked at a map and found some towns, but I don't know anything about them. Kingsbury, Laporte, Plymouth, Walkerton, Rolling Prairie are a few I saw. If anyone has any info on great towns where we could still be close to Valpo, but decrease the commute to South Bend that would be great. Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 11:31 AM

16 posts, read 50,542 times
Sorry to hear about your husband's job loss. But excited to hear about the new job in SB! If you're looking to move closer to South Bend, of the towns you listed above, I'd recommend LaPorte for sure over and of the others. You'll be about 25 mins closer to South Bend than you are now. Also, you'll still have the suburban Chicago feel as you did in Valpo. Any of the other towns are very rural and have no Chicago connection. Also, he may want to consider that the commute from Valpo (depending on what side of Valpo you're on) to South Bend is only about an hour right up the toll road. It may be worth it to stay in a town you love with great schools for him to travel just a little more. I personally have a commute from Schererville to Chicago of about 1 hr and 20 mins. But, to have a nice house I'm willing to do that. Just a thought.

Best of luck.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:38 AM

17,394 posts, read 14,631,586 times
I know quite a few people who commute from Valpo/Chesterton/Portage to South Bend ... is it possible that he could find a carpool to join?

Old 01-02-2010, 11:39 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,725,561 times
my husband did the Valpo to SB commute for about a year and it stunk!!!! Moving to Chesterton would be a little bit easier since it has easier access to the toll road (but get an I-zoom!). Plymouth also isn't a bad option. It's a nice small town and the schools are good!

Old 01-02-2010, 01:01 PM

4 posts, read 19,934 times
Thanks for all the posts so far. Carpooling probably won't be an option, since his job starts at 2 a.m. I guess the advantage to that will be no traffic. LOL. Cmitseff I think your dedication to commute an hour 20 mins is great, but my husband used to commute from Valpo to Alsip, and he hated it. I told him he needs to realize that the economy sucks, and he needs to do what ever it takes, but I am willing to make a sacrifice too.

Old 01-02-2010, 02:20 PM

265 posts, read 964,337 times
LaPorte is a little over 20 miles from Valpo and from there, another 35 miles to South Bend. LaPorte seems like a very nice town, too.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:14 PM

7 posts, read 25,766 times
I agree with the others.

I'd also have to agree that La Porte is the best of the towns you listed.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:34 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,533,057 times
To say you have somewhat of a suburban Chicago feel in LaPorte is quite a stretch. That said, it's a decent town. I would consider LaPorte or Plymouth. The others are pretty tiny. Walkerton is in St. Joseph county and, as such, has the same tax problems as South Bend. If you have problems dealing with the time difference, Plymouth is on the same time as South Bend.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:11 AM

1,873 posts, read 2,406,713 times
I've lived in Valpo for 16 years, and many of my employees live in the towns you mention. Laporte has the most to offer based on my association with quite a few people who have lived in those communities for quite a while. Nothing wrong with the others, Laporte just has more to offer. All the towns you mention will expose you to more lake effect snow than Valpo (timely since I'm looking at about 15" of accum snow at the moment), but not a night and day difference overall. Best of luck...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana