Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 04:09 PM

17,466 posts, read 14,710,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
I heard somebody wanted to build a development in Chesterton that would've included Target and Kohls, but it was squashed due to community opposition. Not sure how true that is, although it's my impression that folks in Chesterton are determined to maintain the small, quaint village feel there.

It's true.

Chesterton doesn't want any big box stores ... or the most vocal residents anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 11:25 AM

211 posts, read 948,549 times
As a Valpo resident I'm fine with keeping big box stores out although I do shop at them except Walmart (they dropped Valpo Velvet). I like the idea of having a unique community of small shops and will gladly support those shops and restaurants. I think the problem is the jobs are so limited here and I know I've mentioned it so many times alot of folks are probably really sick of hearing it but I'm going to keep mentioning it until something gets done. Not having a train through this area is going to kill it. I commute daily to Chicago. The train ride itself doesn't bother me at all, its the drive to and from the train. Especially during the winter. If a train came through Valpo I do think we would pull more people into this community. I know some don't want it to change but they are retiring and growing old. So we spend money to have good schools and educate the children of this area so they can go to college and advance themselves just to leave this area so they can find jobs. What will become of us as more and more educated leave and more and more blue collar jobs leave the country. It's hard to see much a future. The young people that are left in this area need to stand up and start fighting for our future. We need to bring jobs here and we are not going to do it with investing in ourselves.

AND please do not let us become a Naperville... The land of generic. Their downtown is an outdoor shopping mall. Arlington Hts has a great downtown and does not allow chains. Many other burbs with similar downtowns. I don't mind a target going up as long as we continue to support the stores owned and run by the members of our community and don't let our downtown turn into a lifestyle mall or whatever stupid name they have been given. Naperville doesn't have that. It's the big box of suburbs.

Old 01-23-2010, 11:03 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,854,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cd771 View Post
AND please do not let us become a Naperville... The land of generic. Their downtown is an outdoor shopping mall. Arlington Hts has a great downtown and does not allow chains. Many other burbs with similar downtowns....Naperville doesn't have that. It's the big box of suburbs.
I would say downtown Naperville and downtown Arlington Heights are very similar, to the point that a newcomer would be unable to determine which is which unless they knew beforehand basics such as Naperville's Metra station is several blocks north, and Arlington Heights's tracks (and Northwest Highway) cut through downtown at an angle. In fact I'd give the edge to Naperville for a smaller, more compact and "quainter" downtown. Yes Naperville does have more big boxes and strip malls - a LOT more - but that's due to its growth into former open land to the west and south over the past 25 years, growth that Arligton Heights couldn't do. The big boxes and strip malls are nowhere near downtown Naperville.

Anyway, more to the point, the resistance to the expansion of commuter rail in Lake Co. Indiana reminds me of the resistance in Lake Co. Illinois (and Barrington) to the expansion of Metra service or the extension of highways such as IL53. No one there wants the additional transportion options but seriously, 40 years of unchecked suburban sprawl in those areas has resulted in gridlock during rush hour. Downtown Barrington could use something, anything, to relieve traffic during rush hour - more Metra options, a highway bypass, whatever, but it seems they prefer the status quo and a street system based on 1950s-era traffic levels.

Old 03-20-2010, 02:52 PM

7 posts, read 13,302 times
The future will be interesting. I am now in my 60s and one of the first of the Baby Boomers. I no longer want to drive to the Loop. I don't even like driving to the grocery store and envy my daughter in Chicago who has groceries delivered to her condo. We are thinking about moving out of NWI into Illinois and pay the higher taxes to be near rail service. When most of the Baby Boomers are beyond 60, I am not sure anyone is going to want them in rush hour traffic on the Ryan. What concerns me is that NWI has such limited public transportation. I am sure it will improve as people grow older and see the value of it.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:05 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,769,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenLili View Post
The future will be interesting. I am now in my 60s and one of the first of the Baby Boomers. I no longer want to drive to the Loop. I don't even like driving to the grocery store and envy my daughter in Chicago who has groceries delivered to her condo. We are thinking about moving out of NWI into Illinois and pay the higher taxes to be near rail service. When most of the Baby Boomers are beyond 60, I am not sure anyone is going to want them in rush hour traffic on the Ryan. What concerns me is that NWI has such limited public transportation. I am sure it will improve as people grow older and see the value of it.
yes, but most of those boomers don't want to pay higher taxes to get better public transit. They are still feeling slobberknockered from "property tax reform" ... you tell some of these folks that they have to pay higher taxes to get better public transportation options. Nope, they'd rather keep their wheels.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:40 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,280,940 times
Would the commuter rail line be near downtown? What Arlington Heights has done is construct buildings with retail on bottom and residences on the top floors. Doesn't have to be as tall as AH, could be limited to 2-4 stories. The residences walk to the local stores and restaurants. The downtown becomes more appealing, more sales are generated and more local sales tax is generated which helps the entire city. The train may help increase business for the local merchants due to more local residences and commuters stopping in and shopping.

Old 03-23-2010, 01:43 PM

811 posts, read 2,340,967 times
Although I do see your point, it doesn't matter if it was near a downtown area to be honest, there's enough demand from people who live in NWI to commute to Chicago. Thing is, so many of us drive 20+ mins just to get to the train since it is so far north where very few of the Lake County residents who take the train live.

If they took the train through areas like Munster Schererville, Dyer, St John and Crown Point and made the drive to the train within 5 mins, these towns would explode (even more).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana