Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 10:00 PM

6 posts, read 17,996 times

Advertisements

I have recently took a job in Munster and have been looking for apartments in the area. The one requirement I need is a garage (I have a lot of toys, sports car, motorcyle, mtn and road bike). In my research I came up with only a few results (within my price range). Summer Wood, Hidden Creek, and Huntington Cove. They all seem to be located around Merrillville, and I just want to know what this area is like?Also, What is the night life like? I'm moving from Kalamazoo MI, being a college town, there was always something goin on. I'm real big in music, mainly punk and metal. Any sort of a scene?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 05:03 AM

436 posts, read 951,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzinskis View Post
I have recently took a job in Munster and have been looking for apartments in the area. The one requirement I need is a garage (I have a lot of toys, sports car, motorcyle, mtn and road bike). In my research I came up with only a few results (within my price range). Summer Wood, Hidden Creek, and Huntington Cove. They all seem to be located around Merrillville, and I just want to know what this area is like?Also, What is the night life like? I'm moving from Kalamazoo MI, being a college town, there was always something goin on. I'm real big in music, mainly punk and metal. Any sort of a scene?
30 can get jammed up between Merrillville and Munster, making a commute a pain. I'd drive around Munster/Schererville and look for 'for rent' signs.

Anything you want is available in Chicago. You may have to sneak over to the South Side to do it, but you'll find it.

Old 03-23-2010, 04:52 PM

815 posts, read 2,997,312 times
Some, if not all of the buildings backing onto 45th st in Munster have garages. Some are condos, but some are rentals. Take a drive down Camelia Drive (thats the road those buildings actually front on). You may see a for rent sign.

Also some of the buildings on Manor Drive also in Munster (the area behind the Applebys on Ridge Rd) have garages as well. Again some buildings are condos, some are rentals.

Most of these buildings are owned by individual people and aren't apt. complex's. So no pools, websites to check etc. Most of these building are 4 flats built in the 70's and 80's. But they are generally nice places.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:52 PM

I saw the places on Carmelia, and I think I was on Manor as well. I feel like they may be a little out of my price range, but I don't know cause I don't know how to get in touch with the people who own them (That's what I like about complexes). I'll be back tomorrow. I'll scope it out again.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:00 PM

Also, I've been trying to find out about the nightlife in this area. I'm in my late 20s and single. I enjoy bars that have a crowd around my age, and live music.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:44 PM

2,156 posts, read 5,488,415 times
If you do not mind, could you post your price range? Maybe we could be a bit more of assistance. Thanks!

Old 04-03-2010, 01:41 PM

max is around $800-900

Old 04-04-2010, 08:55 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,333,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzinskis View Post
Also, I've been trying to find out about the nightlife in this area. I'm in my late 20s and single. I enjoy bars that have a crowd around my age, and live music.
Are there bars in the area with a clientele of your age? Yes. But... a lot of people living in the Region at your age have been there for quite a while, so it can be hard to break in. That said... the benefit is that, once you connect with a couple people, the number of people you know will grow quickly as they will know a lot of other people (and you can meet their friends and so on).

The Region has some nightlife but it's not all that. Of course, Chicago is an option but, without knowing many people there and or a place to stay, I'm not too fond of the Chicago option.

I can't think of any bars I like that much more than any others.

There are some good local restaurants. El Amigo (Route 30 in Schererville) is a long-time favorite of many residents. Gyros Express (two doors down from El Amigo) is also very good. You should definitely try both. Golden Phoenix (Schererville, Main/41) is very good, but (depending on your order) can be very heavy.

I've read that Mishkenut (Munster, Ridge Road) is a very good Arabic restaurant. I've never been there, but think Aladdin Pita (Merrillville, Route 30) is pretty good. Definitely better than Pita Kabab (same strip mall as Golden Phoenix).

Sorry to get off topic, but I figured I'd share my thoughts about some of the local spots I enjoy more.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:59 AM

811 posts, read 2,336,414 times
For a primarily younger (20s to low 30s) crowd, you should check out Buddy N' Pals. There are two locations, one on Rt. 30 in Schererville and one in Crown Point. Both are really cool and often times have live music. Growlers in Highland is also a cool little place. Cavanaugh's (on 30 just west of 41) is a decent place if you're looking for a sport bar feel. White Rhino in Dyer is another place that gets pretty packed as well.

Although these places are a good time, I think everyone would agree that Northwest Indiana isn't a hotbed for partiers and those looking for crazy nightlife. It's very much a suburb feel where people come to raise families.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:34 PM

320 posts, read 954,611 times
Three Floyd's in Munster has the best music, best beer, best atmosphere in NWI, especially if your taste runs a bit more towards Danzig than Daughtry. You might run into like-minded folks a bit easier there than the other places.

To be honest though, for any culture or live music, you have to hoof it into Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana