Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 11:40 AM

2,156 posts, read 5,489,551 times

Advertisements

I have noticed that speed traps are becoming much more common in some of the areas in Northwest Indiana. I want to start this thread so that users familiar with the area can post speed traps that they see. I'll start.

Most residential streets that take you from Munster to Highland:
The speed limit on residential streets in Munster is 25 mph while in Highland, it is 20 mph. I was pulled over for going "25" in a "20" (when I was slowing down to stop at the stop sign in HIGHLAND. I received a ticket and the cop was a little rude and said that I was going WAY too fast for a residential area. I apologized and said that I was just slowing down to stop at the stop sign. He said "yeah, well we drive slower in Highland so maybe you can slow down to 20 mph before you get into this town." I realize that the situation could have been much worse and that he was only doing his job, but with the attitude that he gave me, it seemed like he was more concerned with trying to get some money as opposed to the safety of the town's roads.

Since this has happened I have challenged the ticket and it was thrown out. Many people just pay and move on but for me, it was more of the principle of the thing.

Please post any speed traps that you encountered in NWI with some anecdotal evidence. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 11:48 AM

320 posts, read 954,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
I have noticed that speed traps are becoming much more common in some of the areas in Northwest Indiana. I want to start this thread so that users familiar with the area can post speed traps that they see. I'll start.

Most residential streets that take you from Munster to Highland:
The speed limit on residential streets in Munster is 25 mph while in Highland, it is 20 mph. I was pulled over for going "25" in a "20" (when I was slowing down to stop at the stop sign in HIGHLAND. I received a ticket and the cop was a little rude and said that I was going WAY too fast for a residential area. I apologized and said that I was just slowing down to stop at the stop sign. He said "yeah, well we drive slower in Highland so maybe you can slow down to 20 mph before you get into this town." I realize that the situation could have been much worse and that he was only doing his job, but with the attitude that he gave me, it seemed like he was more concerned with trying to get some money as opposed to the safety of the town's roads.

Since this has happened I have challenged the ticket and it was thrown out. Many people just pay and move on but for me, it was more of the principle of the thing.

Please post any speed traps that you encountered in NWI with some anecdotal evidence. Thanks!

I live on one of those streets, and was happy to see the speed traps this week at the Munster/Highland border. Too many people use it as a cut-through instead of Ridge or 45th, and do not regard the stop signs. We've had some incidents lately where neighborhood kids were almost hit here in Munster, and I know some parents called the police.

I'm sorry the cop was rude to you, but what was the principle violation? Looking for money? They can get a lot more volume of traffic pulling people over on Ridge. I like living in a town where they listen to neighborhood complaints, and in a way, don't have bigger fish to fry.

Old 04-18-2010, 01:37 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,721,897 times
You know ... people that complain about speed traps and school zone speed limit enforcement are just amazing to me. It's obvious that the people complaining do not live in or near these areas and have no ability to budget their time properly.

Old 04-18-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
You know ... people that complain about speed traps and school zone speed limit enforcement are just amazing to me. It's obvious that the people complaining do not live in or near these areas and have no ability to budget their time properly.
School zones is nothing that I complain about...I would never complain about those...but in this case I literally crossed the border into Highland when I was going 25 and was slowing down to the stop sign...I was not even accelerating when I was on the Munster side because I saw the stop sign ahead and there was no reason to drive faster than the posted limit of 25 mph (which I was abiding to)...I was not rushing anywhere....I was just amazed that I would be pulled over for that AND ticketed...not even a warning...a ticket.....my FIRST ticket...

Old 04-18-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow_nerve_action View Post
I live on one of those streets, and was happy to see the speed traps this week at the Munster/Highland border. Too many people use it as a cut-through instead of Ridge or 45th, and do not regard the stop signs. We've had some incidents lately where neighborhood kids were almost hit here in Munster, and I know some parents called the police.

I'm sorry the cop was rude to you, but what was the principle violation? Looking for money? They can get a lot more volume of traffic pulling people over on Ridge. I like living in a town where they listen to neighborhood complaints, and in a way, don't have bigger fish to fry.
If I were going even 30 mph in the Highland side, then I would have deserved a ticket...but I think that the difference between 25 mph and 20 mph (especially when I was slowing down anyway and would have seen a speed limit sign) was not enough to warrant me receiving a ticket.

And about the neighborhood complaints: Yes, I appreciate cops that listen to complaints and worries that residents have...however, when residents complain about speeding, they are usually complaining about the typical 16 year old going 40 on a 25 and not the average Joe driving into the next town with a speed limit 5 mph below the previous town and starting to slow down.

Old 04-18-2010, 02:59 PM

Also, if the police department did not have "bigger fish to fry", then an officer would have shown up to court and defended the ticket.

Old 04-18-2010, 07:54 PM

17,373 posts, read 14,622,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
If I were going even 30 mph in the Highland side, then I would have deserved a ticket...but I think that the difference between 25 mph and 20 mph (especially when I was slowing down anyway and would have seen a speed limit sign) was not enough to warrant me receiving a ticket.
No ... you absolutely deserved the ticket.

Sorry.

Key word is "limit".

Old 04-18-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
No ... you absolutely deserved the ticket.

Sorry.

Key word is "limit".
Well, the judge didn't think so -- it was thrown out. I realize that I am not above the law in any way shape or form. But I was going about 25 mph in Munster and the second I entered into Highland I was slowing down because a stop sign was ahead of me....maybe I should have just been driving 20 mph in Munster to begin with? I guess.

I have to admit...one of the main reasons why I am kind of upset about this is because the cop was being VERY rude about the whole thing (as if I was just some kid flooring his car to impress friends or something). I would not be as upset if the cop didn't make that comment that "we drive slower here in Highland" as if I was purposely ignoring their speed limit.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:11 PM

293 posts, read 909,522 times
They probably DO drive slower in Highland. But those same drivers probably drive a lot faster when they are in other towns where the police aren't being so tough.

This happens all over the country. The locals know that their police are trying to raise city revenues by ticketing unsuspecting out of towner drivers, so they don't mind driving slower. But let them get on the freeways in the neighboring towns and they drive like a bat out of hell. And probably get mad when they get a ticket.

Last edited by garxhap; 04-18-2010 at 09:52 PM..

Old 04-23-2010, 10:20 PM

2 posts, read 3,778 times
Default traps and harrasment go hand and hand

Most but not all the areas police are rude in this area. not useto be like this. but the officers are being trained differently now. most have chips on there shoulders. they do set up with speed traps for the soul purpose of revenue and making quote on tickets. i know in monticello/white county they take bets on ticketing. i think you got lucky with judge. must not have had judge moss. she's a revenuer for the county. heck i known some in dyer riding motorcyles bar hopping drunk. one dropped bike and road thru stop lights. oh we have a badge don't worry. i loss respect for law enforcement now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana