Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 08:35 PM

5 posts, read 45,263 times

Advertisements

I am looking for an apartment, condo, townhome, or house to rent in Crown Point, St John, Highland, Schererville, Dyer, or Munster. I especially love Crown Point and St John but have been unable to find anything that fits my needs. We looked at Cypress Point and Heritage Courts in CP and was not impressed. We have been unable to find any listings in St John, Dyer, or Munster. We have looked at some apartments in Schererville and have also found some of those a little "sketchy". We would like to be in a nice neighborhood and feel safe. I wonder if I am being too picky to worry, but it seems that everything we've looked at has been old, run down, or in a bad neighborhood. We would like to spend around $800/month and can have a 1 bedroom or 2 bedroom. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 10:25 PM

2,155 posts, read 5,450,544 times
Default As far as Munster goes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1a2h3 View Post
I am looking for an apartment, condo, townhome, or house to rent in Crown Point, St John, Highland, Schererville, Dyer, or Munster. I especially love Crown Point and St John but have been unable to find anything that fits my needs. We looked at Cypress Point and Heritage Courts in CP and was not impressed. We have been unable to find any listings in St John, Dyer, or Munster. We have looked at some apartments in Schererville and have also found some of those a little "sketchy". We would like to be in a nice neighborhood and feel safe. I wonder if I am being too picky to worry, but it seems that everything we've looked at has been old, run down, or in a bad neighborhood. We would like to spend around $800/month and can have a 1 bedroom or 2 bedroom. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
As far as Munster goes, unless the owner/landlord is very desperate to rent or you get lucky, you will be very limited in your selection and/or hard-pressed to find a desirable place in that price range. Many of the apartments in that area that are possibly under $800 are much older and NOT updated. There newer (or at least remodeled) will be AT LEAST $1,000. As far as condominiums, townhomes, and single-family homes are concerned, your chances of finding anything in Munster is slim. I would check craigslist and see if you have any luck there. Sorry to sound pessimistic, but in all honesty, some of the rental properties in Munster tend to have inflated prices (because of the property taxes for the great school district) and thus, command a higher price than comparable rentals in other areas (that may have decent schools as well).

Old 04-30-2010, 10:05 AM

58 posts, read 181,487 times
I have a one bedroom condo for sale in Schererville. Really inexpensive. If buying is an option that is. You'll spend much much less than $800/month.

Old 10-23-2010, 03:24 PM

1 posts, read 5,738 times
We are am looking for a house to rent in Crown Point, St John, Highland, Schererville, Dyer, or Munster area. My job has relocated me in the Southside of Chicago area. I have seen several places but I have not been impress. We have a high school student therefore we are looking for a school in the area. Can you recommend any homes for rent, pictures would be nice to see....Thanks in advance.. Lockhart family

Old 10-23-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anissamb718 View Post
We are am looking for a house to rent in Crown Point, St John, Highland, Schererville, Dyer, or Munster area. My job has relocated me in the Southside of Chicago area. I have seen several places but I have not been impress. We have a high school student therefore we are looking for a school in the area. Can you recommend any homes for rent, pictures would be nice to see....Thanks in advance.. Lockhart family
What is your price range? It will be much easier to assist you with this information! Thanks!

Old 04-06-2011, 04:42 PM

2 posts, read 9,850 times
I just found this site and think it just might help. I will be relocating to that area since i'll be working at the Ford plant starting June. I think I will rent for a couple of years. I am looking for a 3 to 4 Bd house with school (s) close by. I'd like to stay in the $1300 to $1500 a month rent range. Elementry school. I have two little ones that would be going into 1st and 3rd grades. I've been reading your posts about which area is better, safer, etc. Please, I really need your help deciding where to relocate my family. We'd like a quiet friendly area with that town--small town feeling. Any help would be really appreciated! thanks

Last edited by ElPaso1992; 04-06-2011 at 05:11 PM..

Old 04-07-2011, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElPaso1992 View Post
I just found this site and think it just might help. I will be relocating to that area since i'll be working at the Ford plant starting June. I think I will rent for a couple of years. I am looking for a 3 to 4 Bd house with school (s) close by. I'd like to stay in the $1300 to $1500 a month rent range. Elementry school. I have two little ones that would be going into 1st and 3rd grades. I've been reading your posts about which area is better, safer, etc. Please, I really need your help deciding where to relocate my family. We'd like a quiet friendly area with that town--small town feeling. Any help would be really appreciated! thanks
Congrats on relocating to the area! The most convenient place to rent for you (due to close proximity to Chicago and excellent schools) would be Munster. However, at the price you listed, you probably will not find a 3 to 4 bedroom home. You can probably get a condo but not a home (unless it has an unfinished basement bedroom for example. It will be really tough. Additionally, Munster does not really feel like a small town anymore. It is a very very busy area and the areas that would most likely be more quiet are in subdivisions that are out of your price range. I would suggest Highland as well because the schools are good and it is more affordable than Munster. However, it is a busy suburban area as well and while it may feel like a small town atmosphere to those who have a tight knit in-town circle, it may feel rather large to outsiders (the towns in this area run into each other and feel more like mega-suburbs to outsiders)...If the busyness is not an issue, then I would recommend Highland.

If the busyness of a town is concerning, then I would recommend parts of Dyer. You will have a much better finding a rental home there in your price range. Now the commute to work will be longer but that is just a trade-off of living further south. The schools there are good as well, but they are large and do not feel really "small town" like.

If commute time is no concern at all to you, then your best option would be Crown Point, IN. It will be a much longer commute, but it still has a relatively small-town feel (if you live close to the downtown square) and you can get what you want in your price range WITH great schools!

If you can decide which is more important to you, "small town feel" or "commute time to work" then it would be a lot easier to help you. Welcome to the area!

Old 04-07-2011, 08:50 AM

157 posts, read 400,689 times
If you want a true "small town feel" you may want to check out Beecher, IL. The schools are good and it's very safe. It's not really connected to another town and you have to drive past some farm fields to get there but it is a straight shot down 394/94 to your new job. Since it's in IL the property taxes there are substantially higher than IN but if you're renting I guess that wouldn't be much of a concern. If you prefer Indiana I would also suggest the south side of Dyer or Saint John. These areas maintain somewhat of a rural feel and if you take 81st/Steger Ave. or 101st/Exchange Ave. you can get to 394 very quickly. To actually find a rental home in these areas may just take some driving around because it seems that many people just seem to simply put a sign in the yard of their rental home instead of advertising it elsewhere.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:15 PM

2 posts, read 9,850 times
Thank you very much for your comments and suggestions, both Northwest Indiana and Knighthood82.
Having lived in Evansville, In. for a bit more than 5 years, I guess I want to find something as "close" to that feeling as possible. But I know being closer to the big city will just make things a bit more expenisve, so I'm sure I can modify a few things to readapt to the area. I will look around and try to find something suitable for me and my family. Thanks again!!
If you get any additional ideas, I will be checking back often.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:18 PM

4 posts, read 9,147 times
Check out Le Jardin Apartments in Schererville on US 30. The majority of them are owned condos but some are rentals. They are all brick exterior, great location, and have very nice unique floor plans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana