Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 06:32 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,605,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandGirlGoingHome View Post
Thanks, AlohaHuey.

Boy, I sure wish I could find an airline that would allow them in-flight. Wouldn't that be ideal? Sadly, no airlines (that I've found) allow them to fly in-flight from the mainland. I think only inter-island, but I'm just going to O'ahu, for now.
I'm shipping two dogs from Seattle, I know what you mean! I'd feel much better traveling with them. Best of luck on your move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 07:14 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,039,794 times
My experience is that shipping animals to Hawaii is more stressful on the neurotic pet owners then the pets themselves.

My wife (Vet) and I shipped over 10 animals (cats, dogs, parrot) here and they did fine, even with multiple flight connections.

Pet owners relax, you're making me neurotic too just reading your posts...

Old 06-21-2010, 07:18 PM

101 posts, read 416,156 times
Thanks Balad1! Haha. You're too funny! Some people really do get neurotic.

I hope my posts just state the facts rather than seemingly neurotic. I've read others where they freak out! I don't need to hear that.

If you've shipped many cats with multiple flight connections, I won't worry about my cats' layover in Houston. It'll be just fine. It seems it'd even be better than Hawaiian because they have a program specifically for pets.

I think I'm just worried about them getting there. Once they're there, I'm sure I'll wonder why I ever fretted.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:31 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,039,794 times
I'm not talking about you but some of the other posters on this subject scare me, lol.

Old 06-22-2010, 05:02 AM

168 posts, read 727,128 times
there's no airline that will allow pets in the cabin coming into hawaii. my pug dog is coming over this winter b/c she can't fly during the summer b/c of the temps but that's only b/c of her snub nose. she's young & healthy so i'm not really worried. she is fine w/ a crate. i've researched bringing her over for nearly a year now & came to the conclusion that she'll be fine. i'm gona be a nervous wreck the entire flight but honestly, the airlines do this every day. they really do know what they are doing. there's always those stories about pets that get hurt, lost or worse but those are the exception to the rule. planes crash & have issues plenty of times too but those or the exception to the rule too. we still fly & most flights end perfectly safely. do your homework & follow the rules exactly & everything should be fine. good luck!

Old 06-22-2010, 07:01 AM

145 posts, read 451,677 times
LOL, Balad! Your status is so apropos for this discussion! I would also add to it that paranoia is free and also abundant. There are always "horror stories" out there about what happened to little Fluffy on the trip - but you never hear of all the pet transports that went off without a hitch. As with just about any other subject, it's the dramatic stories that get told, I guess.

Honestly, when I first began thinking about flying myself and my dog to Hawaii, I wasn't worried about it at all. I mean, anything could always happen in any situation...but the vast majority of the time, the worst case scenario doesn't come to pass. It was only in trying to get information that I encountered people (mostly on here!) who made it sound as if anyone who even *thought* of putting a pet on a plane to Hawaii (for any reason!) were heartless, selfish animal abusers. Obviously, there are situations that make it a significant risk to the pet (old age, existing health problems, etc.) but in the vast majority of cases (as you mentioned shipping more than 10 pets!) everything and everyone will be fine (if a little tired and in need of some non-flying time!). It happens every single day, with any airline that will fly animals at all - and in most cases, has a happy ending.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: