Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 04:16 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,302,244 times

Advertisements

What is a good, average salary in Hawaii?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 04:41 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,095,275 times
I'm guessing - and this is just a guess mind - part time minimum wage to about $20 an hour if you have some sort of skill is probably about average. I think truck and bus drivers average about ten to fifteen per hour. If you have a degree or certificate, then more. It all depends on what you do, but most of the jobs are fairly low level service sorts of jobs. Sometimes even "do you want fries with that" is considered a good job.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:52 PM

2 posts, read 5,064 times
I would be quite happy to hear more about the short term vacation rentals. If you have any contacts you could pass along to me it would be greatly appreciated. I am planning on heading to Oahu the week of October 11th.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:24 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,784,226 times
Honolulu is one of the great cities of the world. You will have a great time. Best wishes to you both.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:21 PM

73 posts, read 315,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandiv View Post
kkkk- our income is based upon 1 retired military pension plus 2 relatively high level federal govt jobs. we are making more this year than ever before b/c my husband just retired.
Thank you mandiv. Still very high income for Oahu Your family should do just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Guy View Post
I wasnt too sure about Honolulu when i first got here- lots of bums, lots of noise(waikiki). But the longer I've been here, the more I love it. Lots of people bike or ride mopeds, the weather is perfect, there's some great parks, good public transport that will even take you up to to North Shore. Also, I think downtown would be a good place to live. For the first time in the three months I've been here, I rode my bike to Manoa the other day- around town, to the University and to the falls. I just love that area- the old homes, the drop in temperature, the "greenness".
Travelin Guy, what a lovely description. Though, there are way more bums in San Francisco. I know San Francisco at one point is considered one of the highest rates of drug use per capita in the country. Downtown Honolulu's pretty clean in comparison, in my opinion.

Old 09-03-2010, 01:10 PM

23 posts, read 77,721 times
Aloha
my family and I are moving to Oahu in about 3 weeks. we were very nervous about the move, and thanks to reading these posts, we are becoming more and more comfortable. we are looking to find a 3bedroom furnished rental in the kapolei area (we have a 2 year old son). thankfully, my job is a fairly well paying one (very important for a family of 3). I was hoping someone may be able to help send some contact info on a really good realtor that specialized in furnished rental properties, in the kapolei area prefferably.
We cannot wait to become part of the hawaiian lifestyle!!!
MAHALO!!!

Old 09-03-2010, 04:42 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,920,244 times
You should do well with that salary as long as you don't have unusual expenses. Sounds like a good opportunity though it can be rough without friends and family but since you have already lived abroad, sounds like you will enjoy your time on Oahu. Aloha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: