Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2011, 06:49 AM

2 posts, read 5,378 times

Advertisements

Hi
I am 32 and will be moving from Houston to Oahu in March 2011 with my wife and baby daughter. I will be working near the HNL airport and want to know where is a nice place to live. We were thinking of renting an apartment for the first year. I hear Ewa Beach, Kapolei, Kailua, and Mililani are good areas to live. Any recommendations on which would be best? Which would be easiest traffic-wise to get to the airport? Which has the best shopping centers? Which is safest to live and raise a family?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 11:06 AM

5,638 posts, read 6,512,536 times
Renting first is a good idea. How much money do you have for monthly rent? Do you prefer a house or an apartment? How many bedrooms?

Old 02-23-2011, 01:07 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,230,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathematiks View Post
Hi
I am 32 and will be moving from Houston to Oahu in March 2011 with my wife and baby daughter. I will be working near the HNL airport and want to know where is a nice place to live. We were thinking of renting an apartment for the first year. I hear Ewa Beach, Kapolei, Kailua, and Mililani are good areas to live. Any recommendations on which would be best? Which would be easiest traffic-wise to get to the airport? Which has the best shopping centers? Which is safest to live and raise a family?
Thanks
Ewa would be closest to the airport, but I'd say lowest on your list. Kailua is probably nicest, but furthest from the airport. Both Kapolei & Mililani are nice places to raise kids and closer to the airport. Mililani is a higher elevation and wetter, Kapolei closer to the beaches. I'd say Kapolei has more shopping, but not nearly the variety you will be used to. But there's a Safeway & Target, Costco, Ross.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:08 PM

501 posts, read 1,191,325 times
Aiea is a nice area, and has lots to offer...Pearl Ridge Mall, Target is somewhat nearby, etc. Aiea is about a 20 minute drive to the airport, depending on traffic. Mililani has alot to offer as well, but is a good 45 minutes away from the airport, due to traffic conditions.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:33 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,011,610 times
The traffic from Kapolei, Mililani and Ewa would be ferocious. Kailua would be the nicest. Oahu isn't that big that you need to worry about being that far from shopping.

Rent a vacation rental for the first two weeks and then you'll be able to check things out personally.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:44 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,512,536 times
What happened to the OP?

Old 07-18-2012, 02:37 AM

2 posts, read 5,378 times
I ended up moving to mililani. I am very happy with my choice. It has good shopping options and my commute is 30 mins which is not bad compared to Houston. From what I hear the schools are good in this area. And it definitely is a family friendly environment. I like that it is a little cooler weather here than other parts of the island. Sorry for not reaponding sooner. Thanks for all of your suggestions.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:51 PM

507 posts, read 916,713 times
Seems like alot of people from Houston looking to move to HNL...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu