Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 09:40 PM

5 posts, read 20,990 times

Advertisements

Considering moving to Oahu, I have never been, but am very open to the adventure and challenge of the move. I work in the Bar/Restaurant industry and my Fiancee has been working in the bicycle industry and has experience in volunteer work for state parks here on the mainland. I am hoping that my assumptions of being able to find work in a heavy tourist area would be feasible for me, but am not too sure about him being able to find work in the "same setting".

Are there any Mainland transplants that would have some tips for a young couple ready to make the move?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 11:38 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,662,406 times
Hate to sound rude, but my tip is to read the many, many posts on this forum that talk about what it's like to live in Hawaii, what moving and living expenses are, what the job situation is like, etc. etc. Please do some looking around and look at sticky #2. Then come back if you have specific questions that have not already been discussed to death.

Old 03-01-2011, 03:47 AM

You're not being rude. I am asking for advice and tips! I did read quite a few posts and a lot of them have so much negative things to say. But I have also read a lot of good/positive posts. Most of the good ones were from people who are single, no kids, love the outdoors and live a simple life. And those people also mentioned how hard it is/was but it is all in you, your attitude and the way you want things to work out. Go with a positive attitude, don't let the negatives bring you down and at the end of the day, all the hard work is worth it. I understand that the jobs are hard to come by... Jobs are also very hard to come by here in the mainland. Ive lived in a small little studio in LA, so I know what to expect for the first year or so. (I also heard the same thing "LA is so expensive, you will never make it out there, etc.") We dont plan on taking anything but our dogs and some clothes, bikes, books and maybe a car later. We love traveling and being outdoors. We are very quiet, nice, hard working, volunteers and live a very simple life and do plan on saving a whole lotta money before the move. Also, We have looked in San Diego and read the same negative things.. the no jobs, studios at $2000, gas being at a million dollars a gallon, etc. Oahu isn't our only option but is in our top 3. We are keeping a positive/open mind about the move and are just trying to get as much information, advice, tips and what not. Like, which city to start in (i keep reading Waikiki), apt hunting, applying for jobs, if shipping a car is worth it, how much money to save up, etc, etc. Are you a resident of Oahu? And Thank you!

Old 03-01-2011, 11:09 AM

4,918 posts, read 22,675,099 times
My first and only suggestion is come for a visit.
Many many people think of Hawaii like they see some travel brochure and that is what you will get when you are a visitor. But living and visiting are not the same. If you spend a bit of time visiting and looking at Hawaii as if your living there, you will get a better understanding.

Many of the negatves people read are only honest advice based on what someone said. If you said you have $500, 12 kids and 8 dogs and want to live in a seaside condo and party all the time and have no job line up or skills, of course everyone is going to rain on the parade. Many of the negative advice is also just warning. Because Hawaii is so different than many other areas, many thinking of moving do not know what roadblocks can happen that they may never have on the mainland.

But if you cant visit, let me ask this critical questions, What do you expect to get out of living on Hawaii? and What do you vision your life like living on Hawaii?

Old 03-01-2011, 12:32 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,662,406 times
Maggie, I live on the Big Island in a very rural community. We can afford to do that because we are retired with a pension and not dependent on jobs. My perspective is very different than yours.

Good to see that you have done a lot of reading on the various threads. Moving to someplace you've never been is hard, especially Hawaii. But you are young and up for adventure so I say go for it. Bring as few material items as possible because shipping is expensive and if you turn around and leave after six months you don't want to be paying those shipping costs again. Hopefully you will bring enough extra money to live on while you are looking for work. Remember that a lot of places will only hire you for 19.5 hours a week because at 20 hours they have to pay benefits.

Old 03-01-2011, 02:09 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,230,984 times
MaggieMonterrey,

I would say Waikiki/Honolulu has some of the same negatives that LA or SF has, in being congested, having expensive housing etc..but of course our weather is fabulous 12 months out of the year.

I would suggest a working vacation as well. Save up a couple thousand, buy round trip tickets, rent a vacation condo for a month or two and live like a local and actively seek work. And then end of that time, you should have a good feel for it you like it, & can afford it, without the agony of shipping all your belonging and car, only to discover you don't like it here.

I spent last summer looking at apartments with my college student daughter & her friend around UH. Personally, I saw nothing fit for humans to live in until you got to the $1500 range. That said, most supplied some of the utilities and one parking space.

Crime is pretty low here and you won't spend money on winter clothes or heating.

When ever we make life altering desicions, we play the "what if" game.

Good luck!

Old 03-01-2011, 05:41 PM

Thank you guys for the feedback!

PacificFlights- I agree, I do plan/try on making a small visit before I make my mind up. As I said earlier, Oahu is an option. I want to get as much info as I can. If we do make this move, I want to start planning now. I just dont want to up and leave. We are trying to be smart/careful about it. If I cant visit- My vision of living in Hawaii... No, I do not think it will be like heaven/paradise. No, I dont plan on partying everyday or being at the beach everyday and not work. I understand that living in Hawaii will be a lot, a lot of hard work and wont be too easy. It's the same here. Work, work, work, bills, bills, then we are broke. I wouldn't mind working my bum off to live in a beautiful, slow, laid back place with amazing friendly people and be broke! What do I have to lose? If it doesn't work out and I leave after 6 months, I am fine with that! At least we gave it a shot, right? Who knows, We might just make it!

I mentioned that we love the outdoors-camping, snowboarding, mountain biking, surfing, hiking, etc and LOVE traveling...I have lived/stayed in different, big cities. From, LA, San Fran, AZ, NY, NC, Mexico -just to name a few (when I was younger, i did travel a lot as well, Army brat. Germany, France, Spain) We are smart/responsible about spending/saving our money. We don't live this crazy extravagant life. Very simple. We dont have much belongings. The most expensive things we own are probably our mountain bikes! lol. If you have anymore advice, tips or just your two cents, Please go right ahead! Thank you. (:

Old 03-01-2011, 05:49 PM

Dreaming of Hawaii,

Thanks!! My heart is set on Hawaii. How much money do you think is safe to bring along and live off of while we search for jobs. How about government/city jobs? Are those are to come? And i did read about only working 19 hours. That is different.. But not new, I have worked 2 or 3 jobs at time before. I think the only thing that I am really worried about are our dogs. We have 2. They are crate trained, shots up to date and all. Just need a little info on HI policy. Thank you!

Old 03-01-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post
MaggieMonterrey,

I spent last summer looking at apartments with my college student daughter & her friend around UH. Personally, I saw nothing fit for humans to live in until you got to the $1500 range. That said, most supplied some of the utilities and one parking space.

Crime is pretty low here and you won't spend money on winter clothes or heating.

When ever we make life altering desicions, we play the "what if" game.

Good luck!

Ah, Well, An apartment in LA and SF also run for that much and actually even more. I am sure we could do it. If it doesnt work out, then it doesnt. But yes, I dont wanna be asking myself "what if i had moved to HI?" I dont want to regret it! I love taking risks! Also, where can i find a vacation home? We are actually planning on doing that, renting one and learning the area, people, jobs, etc. Thank you.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:40 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,017,648 times
So far the only problem I see is the dog. Can someone baby sit the dog for you on the mainland while you try relocating? Everything else is much easier if you don't have to find a place which will take a dog as well as couple. Room mate situations are the least expensive options and sometimes you can find them for a couple, even a house sitting job sometimes, but the dog pretty much makes that not happen. This is a small dog hopefully?

Round trip tickets, just in case. Some savings since employment will probably take awhile. If anything, it will be an adventure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: