Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 03:27 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,234,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzo View Post
Three safe ways to get him here.
1) charter share (About $3,000)
2) Cargo plane where they will fly him in the hold.
3) Boat.

Cargo is a gamble and Pugs have a LOT of problem with heat.
What boat do you know of that allows pets?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 05:26 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,464,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post
According to Google Maps, it's only 14 days by kayak.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:14 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,073,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
According to Google Maps, it's only 14 days by kayak.
15 days by car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post
Cunard cruises and Carnival

Old 03-16-2011, 12:53 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,695,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzo View Post
Cunard cruises and Carnival
Cunard only allows pets on trans-atlantic crossings.
Carnival does not allow pets on regular cruises.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:59 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,695,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aloha1234 View Post
If anyone has experience of getting there dog to hawaii in the summer outside of spending thousands of dollars on a chartered flight, please let me know.
The problem is the direct nonstop flight. You are limited to when those flights fly with no options.

If you can handle a with stop travel, you have options.
1. You can fly late or early to an airport like Portland or SeaTac and fly to Hawaii on another flight avoiding the temp restrictions.
2. You can fly to LA during an overnight and switch to the cargo only flight (overnight) and avoid temp restrictions.
3. You can fly to a nearby airport with no temp restrictions and drive to one also with no temp restrictions.

A direct non-stop flight is the best but only if it makes sense for you and the dog. Imagine if you had to sit for 10 hours in your seat withiout having a chance to use the restrooms. Or sit for 10 hours in a box with no contact with anyone. I think the dog would appreciate two segments where they can pee and poop halfway between instead of being couped up in a kennel for the 10 hours.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:29 AM

13 posts, read 36,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
The problem is the direct nonstop flight. You are limited to when those flights fly with no options.

If you can handle a with stop travel, you have options.
1. You can fly late or early to an airport like Portland or SeaTac and fly to Hawaii on another flight avoiding the temp restrictions.
2. You can fly to LA during an overnight and switch to the cargo only flight (overnight) and avoid temp restrictions.
3. You can fly to a nearby airport with no temp restrictions and drive to one also with no temp restrictions.

A direct non-stop flight is the best but only if it makes sense for you and the dog. Imagine if you had to sit for 10 hours in your seat withiout having a chance to use the restrooms. Or sit for 10 hours in a box with no contact with anyone. I think the dog would appreciate two segments where they can pee and poop halfway between instead of being couped up in a kennel for the 10 hours.
What cargo only flight from LA are you referring to?
I was worried that a layover would just delay my dog from going to the bathroom. I didn't think the airline personnel let your dog out during the layover and I would imagine the ground temps during the layover are warmer too than in the air.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:53 AM

13 posts, read 36,430 times
Do the airlines go by the forecasted high temp for the whole day or just the forecasted temp during the time of layover/arrival/departure?

Old 03-19-2011, 03:38 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,234,490 times
Quote:
What cargo only flight from LA are you referring to?
I was worried that a layover would just delay my dog from going to the bathroom. I didn't think the airline personnel let your dog out during the layover and I would imagine the ground temps during the layover are warmer too than in the air.
Pacific Air Cargo flies from LAX every night around midnight and arrives in HNL at 5-6 am. We shipped our elderly Lhasa over on them. They were super to work with!

Old 03-19-2011, 08:17 PM

129 posts, read 390,203 times
Quote:
I've read just about every post regarding transporting dogs to Hawaii, but I'm still having quite a bit of trouble finding an airline from which I can fly my puggle to Honolulu due to the airline's temperature restrictions in the summer.
It's not about temperature. Hawaii has no rabies, and dogs have to be quarantined for a period of 3 months(?) or so. So do cats.

You can bring a dog or cat from New Zealand without quarantine, because it has no rabies, either. Ditto for the UK.

Maybe the airline was doing you a favor without knowing it. While it's warm in Hawaii, the cargo hold of an airliner flying at 35,000 feet is a different story.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:38 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,520,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzbar View Post
It's not about temperature. Hawaii has no rabies, and dogs have to be quarantined for a period of 3 months(?) or so. So do cats.

You can bring a dog or cat from New Zealand without quarantine, because it has no rabies, either. Ditto for the UK.

Maybe the airline was doing you a favor without knowing it. While it's warm in Hawaii, the cargo hold of an airliner flying at 35,000 feet is a different story.
Your continued posts of incorrect info is getting old, fast.

Cargo holds are heated when animals are present.

PacificFlights - please inform this person....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: