Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 08:39 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,487,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzbar View Post
It's not about temperature.
Actually it's entirely about temperature and has nothing to do with rabies. Please check previous extensive threads here on this subject. "Short-nosed" breeds have breathing difficulties at high temps, and airlines do not want to be liable for delivering sick or dead pets.

Yes, Hawai'i's 120 day rabies quarantine rules apply, but they have nothing to do with the airline's individual policies about what animals they will transport and under what conditions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 12:49 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,706,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Cargo holds are heated when animals are present.
Correct, they don't air condition the aircarft because at crusing altitude, you would freeze, so heaters are turned on. The concern of the temp is when the aircraft is on the ground and the animal is in transit between terminals. Those are hard to control.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:52 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,706,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aloha1234 View Post
What cargo only flight from LA are you referring to?
I was worried that a layover would just delay my dog from going to the bathroom. I didn't think the airline personnel let your dog out during the layover and I would imagine the ground temps during the layover are warmer too than in the air.
See Joile's post.

If making connections, book 2 segments so you can retrieve the animal from one airline, have a hour or so betwen next checkin and let the poor beast pee.

Old 03-21-2011, 02:20 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,605,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aloha1234 View Post
Do the airlines go by the forecasted high temp for the whole day or just the forecasted temp during the time of layover/arrival/departure?
If memory serves, they go by the hourly forecast, with some margin built in.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:35 PM

129 posts, read 390,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Actually it's entirely about temperature and has nothing to do with rabies. Please check previous extensive threads here on this subject. "Short-nosed" breeds have breathing difficulties at high temps, and airlines do not want to be liable for delivering sick or dead pets.

Yes, Hawai'i's 120 day rabies quarantine rules apply, but they have nothing to do with the airline's individual policies about what animals they will transport and under what conditions.
Reminds me of the Arabian proverb, "The camel's run off and you're worried about the rope".

It doesn't matter why the airlines have the restriction, or why Hawaii has a quarantine law.

The OP probably isn't interested in treating the dog for an airplane ride, but does want to have the dog available as a pet while there on vacation.

I'm pointing out the quarantine law in case the OP does find an airline which will take the dog, and then have to say, "NOW you tell me" on arrival. (I would hope he/she'd be informed before taking the dog, but considering that one airline failed to mention the quarantine already...)

Old 03-21-2011, 05:28 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,605,821 times
The combination of Hawaii's quarantine law and the temperature restrictions make bringing a pet to the Islands a daunting exercise at best, a nightmare at worst.

It isn't the responsibility of the airline to inform a flier about the quarantine restrictions. They have to collect the paperwork (health certificate) and fly the critter. Their responsibility begins and ends there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: