Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 03:56 PM

13 posts, read 36,558 times

Advertisements

I've read just about every post regarding transporting dogs to Hawaii, but I'm still having quite a bit of trouble finding an airline from which I can fly my puggle to Honolulu due to the airline's temperature restrictions in the summer. They all seem to either have a broad restriction from May/June to Sept/Oct or temp restrictions(85 degrees usually) and sometimes 75 degrees. Heck, isn't it at least 75 degrees almost every day of the year in Hawaii?
Some airlines say any 'mixes' of the pug breed are temperature restricted, so is there any way around this, i.e. 'beagle mix' instead of 'pug mix'??

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I'm looking ideally for a non stop flight to Honolulu from the east coast or (near the east coast). The only non stop flights I know of are Newark and Atlanta. If anyone knows of other locations, please let me know.

If anyone has experience of getting there dog to hawaii in the summer outside of spending thousands of dollars on a chartered flight, please let me know.
Thanks,
Aloha1234

Last edited by aloha1234; 03-15-2011 at 03:57 PM.. Reason: need to change title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 04:07 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,523,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aloha1234 View Post
I've read just about every post regarding transporting dogs to Hawaii, but I'm still having quite a bit of trouble finding an airline from which I can fly my puggle to Honolulu due to the airline's temperature restrictions in the summer. They all seem to either have a broad restriction from May/June to Sept/Oct or temp restrictions(85 degrees usually) and sometimes 75 degrees. Heck, isn't it at least 75 degrees almost every day of the year in Hawaii?
Some airlines say any 'mixes' of the pug breed are temperature restricted, so is there any way around this, i.e. 'beagle mix' instead of 'pug mix'??
Consider that there is a good reason for the restrictions, rather than trying to find a workaround. It's not a great start for a vacation or visit to have to deal with a sick or dead pet.

Old 03-15-2011, 04:44 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,608,772 times
Try tens of thousands of dollars for a charter.

You might want to call a vet on Oahu for their suggestions, but the restrictions are there for a reason, as OpenD correctly points out. I was facing a move in the summer and had a backup plan to board my dogs on the mainland until they could fly safely to the Islands.

Old 03-15-2011, 05:36 PM

13 posts, read 36,558 times
Yeah, that makes sense. Just wondering if the airlines are being overly cautious to avoid litigation. I know someone who said his dog flew from Las Vegas to Honolulu in July. No idea how that happened.

Old 03-15-2011, 05:50 PM

671 posts, read 1,122,398 times
Buy him a seat of his own?

Old 03-15-2011, 06:08 PM

285 posts, read 1,084,942 times
If it is not during one of black out days for your breed you might talk to a United agent and see if you can leave the east coast early morning when temps are cooler and arrive in Hawaii late evening when temps are cooler. Oh and the airline will need to see the health cert. by the vet and thats what they go by for breed not what you tell them. Aslo there is a lot more to bringing your dog here than just getting it a spot on the plane you know.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:09 PM

285 posts, read 1,084,942 times
Reason I say United is that they dont seem to be as temp. strict as the other airlins but do still have black outs for certain breeds you can check United.com for that.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:42 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,114,901 times
Airlines change their rules so perhaps he flew his dog in a July before they made the current restrictions?

Hard for say how to fly your dog here in the summer but there's only about four or five airlines which fly to Hawaii from the mainland, so check all of their restrictions for flying pets and you'll get much better information than asking us, I'd guess. Basically, all we'd do is go check the airlines' websites anyway since they change the restrictions all the time. They could also change them between now and July, too, so even if it's okay now it may not be okay then and vice versa. Generally, though, overall they seem to get more strict than less strict.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:34 PM

168 posts, read 727,723 times
aloha-

I just brought my pug dog out here recently. I moved in June. As of this time last year there was ABSOLUTELY NO WAY to bring my pug to Hawaii in the summer. (yeah, yeah, charter flight but I don't have that kind of cash.) The restriction is for "snub nose breeds" not necessarily just pugs. The airlines have the temp restriction for the safety of the dogs. In general pugs don't do well in really hot or really cold temperatures & can have issues breathing (more-so than they do regularly even) in those temperatures too. I know puggles do have more of a snout than a true pug does though so they may not be really "snub nosed" but I don't know how they do in the heat. I don't know how the airlines would classify a puggle but you could definitely call the various airlines you are considering & see what they have to say. I would just suggest being careful because the rules are in place for the safety of the dog. I waited 8 months to bring my pug out so she would be as safe as possible during her flight. She came out on a direct flight out of O'Hare. I was lucky that my parents were more than willing to take care of her for me for that entire time though too. She flew on United & I would HIGHLY recommend the airline. They were wonderful. United did tell me that even if you get everything lined up, find a date that works for your dog to fly, dog's flight booked, health certificate done & are ready to go, when you bring your dog to the airport to check in the airline has absolute power to say NO the dog can't fly. (It's a rule for the safety of the dog & to cover their butt.) I don't know if that is every airline or just United though.

Good luck! But be careful with your puggle, his safety is priority one!

Old 03-16-2011, 12:28 AM

1,661 posts, read 4,079,460 times
Three safe ways to get him here.
1) charter share (About $3,000)
2) Cargo plane where they will fly him in the hold.
3) Boat.

Cargo is a gamble and Pugs have a LOT of problem with heat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: