Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2011, 03:49 PM

17 posts, read 130,720 times

Advertisements

Hi to everyone and mahalo for your suggestions! I have found this forum so helpful in my research as my partner & I plan our move to Hawai'i.

We are heeding the advice of many senior members:
  • save $$$$
  • sell car, sell household items, number boxes with items using numbered content lists for shipping
  • take care of pets (2 small chihuahuas, together they weigh less than 12#) needs early to meet HI rabies reqs & flight reqs
  • when we arrive, stay in furnished vacation rental or get a short term lease to assess area prior to making a larger commitment
  • Researching areas where 2 street-smart professional haole women can live and work without a car for first year with access to TheBus, food markets, and beach - feel free to make suggestions!
  • Researching contacts in fields of interest, subscribed to Pacific Business News to get finger on pulse
  • Have gotten a HI phone number, will get a PO box, mailing address soon
  • Bought, read & often refer back to Polancy's So you want to move to Hawai'i" book
I miss island life, having lived on 2 islands previously, and I'm ready to make the emotional, cultural and financial adjustments to do so again.

I'd like to ask a few specific questions of forum members:

Has anyone has used the Zillow rentals search with any success?
Any experience with property management companies in locating rentals?

Mahalo again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 05:30 PM

3,198 posts, read 13,426,152 times
A little help w/ definitions: "when we arrive, stay in furnished vacation rental or get a short term lease to assess area prior to making a larger commitment" In hawaii, anything less than a 6 month lease is considered "short term" or "Vacation rental". The terms mean exactly the same. The biggest difference is the taxes. In Hawaii we have a General Excise (definition - gouge everyone as often as possible but don't call it a sales tax) which is 4.166%. This is levied on just about everything including rent of all kinds.

The US PO will not give you a PO Box without a valid physical address first. So if you need to have a mailing address pronto, get one at one of those Mail Boxes Etc type places. They also must, by law, provide the physical address of the patron to the USPO however I've found them to be very lax in this regard. Your mileage may vary.

If you have a vacation rental, there is an addition 9.25% Transient Accomodations tax that must be paid by the owner.

Both of these are passed on to the consumer in some way or another, as we are allowed to pass it along \visible or not. Meaning, I might advertise "$1200/mo plus tax and utilities" and someone else might say "$1250/mo plus utilities". Same thing, my owner pays 4% of 1250 every month. Ditto for the 9.25%.

Zillow would be even less than the last place I would go to find a rental. Try the newspaper, Craigslist and reputable (licensed realty company) property managers. There are numerous such companies on Oahu.

If you happen to be dealing with a private owner please remember 2 things. 1. If they don't live here and don't have a manager (required by law) forget it. 2. Be sure that everything is in writing and that you have a move in walkthru WITH THEM PRESENT while you take photos and make notes. Have them sign the form - you keep it and send them a copy. Don't assume that they will remember to send you a copy. Same for the lease (plus promise me, you will actually read it before signing it.) Be sure that you understand their policy for repairs and any changes you might have in mind.

In Hawaii, only a security deposit equal to 1 month's rent is allowed to be collected. No pet deposit, cleaning deposit etc are allowed. And, it's not " last month's rent " it's a deposit against damage or loss or cleaning.

Best wishes to you and if you were coming to Big Island I'd be happy to help you!! When do you actually arrive in Oahu?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu