Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 12:13 AM

12 posts, read 26,687 times

Advertisements

If one has not lived in Michigan recently, he does not realize how bad it is economically, weather not withstanding. You, at least, are willing to move out of the state to find something better. We left Detroit, moved to Alabama and now Hawaii. Too many of our friends still there have lost job after job but refuse to leave because their family is there. If you make your way to the Big Island, drop us a line and we can get together to play a game of euchre.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 10:26 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,826,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
It sounds like you're already used to working too much and being poor, and you haven't even gotten to Hawaii yet. And your wife wants to have a baby right now??

BTW why did you waste so much money on new furniture, and such an expensive apartment?
Can we change Wink's name to Mr. Happy?

Old 12-13-2011, 11:00 AM

1,014 posts, read 2,106,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
Can we change Wink's name to Mr. Happy?
He has to WANT to change it.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:25 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,114,901 times
This is a "Reality Forum", we need Wink! You can't vote him off the forum and if he changed, he wouldn't be Wink anymore. Actually, Wink usually has a valid point, it's just usually a point a lot of folks moving over to Hawaii hoping for a better life don't want to think about.

Since the OP is coming from a really desperate and desolate place, even the reality of day to day Hawaii will be a big improvement. I suspect, though, many of the similarly desperate folks end up in contiguous states since the cost of getting to Hawaii is really high and probably too high for many of the folks coming from similar situations. But at least the OP doesn't seem to be expecting hula dancers to serve him cocktails after his part time job that affords him a house on the beach.

Old 12-13-2011, 12:22 PM

756 posts, read 716,531 times
Been reading this board for months

I love winky's stuff.

Old 12-13-2011, 12:47 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,627,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanos9999 View Post
it's not as bad as people think. And I just got a phone call from the university of hawaii about a position. So I will have two interviews on wednesday. I am sorry, but my life was much worse in michigan.
Good luck!

Old 12-13-2011, 01:23 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,826,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
This is a "Reality Forum", we need Wink! You can't vote him off the forum and if he changed, he wouldn't be Wink anymore. Actually, Wink usually has a valid point, it's just usually a point a lot of folks moving over to Hawaii hoping for a better life don't want to think about.
I agree, Wink has made some great points! I would never want to vote him off the forum, just wanted to give him a cool nickname!

Old 12-13-2011, 01:37 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,106,283 times
*thread highjack*
+2 Don't want him to go away. But also don't see the point to being negative. You can still be honest without being negative. I sympathize with wink's situation, and truly hope he turns the corner to a more sustainable lifestyle.
*thread highjack end*

So...Phanos9999 - You here yet?

Old 12-13-2011, 01:47 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,462,658 times
Yes I'm being negative because it sounds like Phanos is working extra just to buy furniture, and is getting an expensive apartment, without even having a job yet on Oahu.

Anyway, I don't see anybody else informing him that the UH job will pay much less than the same salary in the private sector.

Old 12-13-2011, 04:11 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,998,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Yes I'm being negative because it sounds like Phanos is working extra just to buy furniture, and is getting an expensive apartment, without even having a job yet on Oahu.

Anyway, I don't see anybody else informing him that the UH job will pay much less than the same salary in the private sector.
$1,600/month doesn't qualify as an expensive apartment in Oahu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: