Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 03:04 PM

65 posts, read 67,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokai100 View Post
Doesn't hurt anyone either. I'd much rather read something positive than the Debbie Downer Dirge you wrote. Which, since you brought it up, doesn't benefit anyone either.

A self-enforced delusion as to how the past was superior to the present is not a helpful mental construct. It's far healthier to imagine the past as consistently inferior to the present, primarily because we happen to exist in the now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2018, 06:07 PM

172 posts, read 146,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glassnumbers View Post
A self-enforced delusion as to how the past was superior to the present is not a helpful mental construct. It's far healthier to imagine the past as consistently inferior to the present, primarily because we happen to exist in the now.
Gee thanks...I so appreciate it when I get told how to think. How do you know whether or not people you dont even know had better lives in the past? Are you some all-seeing oracle? lol
I lived in Kailua 30+ years ago and it still had a small town vibe. Parking near the beach was easy except on weekends. On almost all accounts it was a much nicer place than the tourist-infested version of today. Almost all of Hawaii was much less crowded and affordable than it is today. These islands are way different than they were in 1975...or even 1985. I have to question whether or not you were even around here 30-40 years ago because it really doesnt sound like it.

Old 10-31-2018, 04:25 AM

451 posts, read 411,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokai100 View Post
Gee thanks...I so appreciate it when I get told how to think. How do you know whether or not people you dont even know had better lives in the past? Are you some all-seeing oracle? lol
I lived in Kailua 30+ years ago and it still had a small town vibe. Parking near the beach was easy except on weekends. On almost all accounts it was a much nicer place than the tourist-infested version of today. Almost all of Hawaii was much less crowded and affordable than it is today. These islands are way different than they were in 1975...or even 1985. I have to question whether or not you were even around here 30-40 years ago because it really doesnt sound like it.

I wrote about this before. About a million years ago, the long suffering Mrs. Rain Monkey and myself considered purchasing a home in Lanikai. At the time, living in a bucolic burb of the city seemed idyllic;
a retreat, however the daily commute on the Pali seemed daunting and a waste of time and resources.
We opted to live in city, and in retrospect, I think it was a better decision in light of the challenges the community has faced with regard to its increased popularity. Certainly the economic benefits have been great, but they have come with costs to small town-like atmosphere experienced 40+ years ago. No longer any neighborhood stands selling ice, Primo and sundry stuff anymore. I still like to go to Kailua Beach Park and swim out to the moku, then to the point and back to the beach. I am now more likely to do it on Wednesday rather than a Saturday or a Sunday, and I never go to Lanikai.

Old 12-23-2021, 09:12 PM

440 posts, read 777,068 times
It's been years since I first started this thread. I'm now 800 days away from retiring from a job in Oregon.
I wish I never left Kailua but it just became to repetitive like groundhog day.

Has anyone found another place to live that FELT like Kailua? Doesn't need to be an island or perfect temperature, or even be anywhere near an ocean. I'm talking about the feel, the way of life, how friendly the Haole's were (not like here in the PNW)

I wonder if I miss the people or the time period when I lived there. I left in 2005 and grew up there.

So, any Kailua like places out there? Please tell me there is!!! if you like you can just PM me if you dont want to share with everyone. I'm just so home sick tonight.

Old 12-24-2021, 04:28 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alikair View Post
It's been years since I first started this thread.

Has anyone found another place to live that FELT like Kailua?
Since it has been 10 years since you started this thread - I'd say the answer is no.

Old 12-24-2021, 04:30 PM

440 posts, read 777,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Since it has been 10 years since you started this thread - I'd say the answer is no.
A little snarky but yeah I get ya. Thanks

Old 12-25-2021, 10:56 AM

51 posts, read 42,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alikair View Post
It's been years since I first started this thread. I'm now 800 days away from retiring from a job in Oregon.
I wish I never left Kailua but it just became to repetitive like groundhog day.

Has anyone found another place to live that FELT like Kailua? Doesn't need to be an island or perfect temperature, or even be anywhere near an ocean. I'm talking about the feel, the way of life, how friendly the Haole's were (not like here in the PNW)

I wonder if I miss the people or the time period when I lived there. I left in 2005 and grew up there.

So, any Kailua like places out there? Please tell me there is!!! if you like you can just PM me if you dont want to share with everyone. I'm just so home sick tonight.
I remember Kailua back then, (I also remember them working on the original Ala'z Mall too ). We lived in Ahuimanu back then and yes... Hawaii was a much nicer place than the current iteration IMHO. It's a big reason why my sister cautions me about moving back "Ya can't go home again"... I'm going to give it a try though. Perhaps Molokai might still be the last holdout of the old days. Lanai City reminded me of that old tv show w Patrick McGoohan - "The Prisoner"... Good luck on your search. I truly hope you find it! V/R

Old 12-25-2021, 01:08 PM

21,734 posts, read 16,341,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawamura View Post
I remember Kailua back then, (I also remember them working on the original Ala'z Mall too ). We lived in Ahuimanu back then and yes... Hawaii was a much nicer place than the current iteration IMHO. It's a big reason why my sister cautions me about moving back "Ya can't go home again"... I'm going to give it a try though. Perhaps Molokai might still be the last holdout of the old days. Lanai City reminded me of that old tv show w Patrick McGoohan - "The Prisoner"... Good luck on your search. I truly hope you find it! V/R
I happen to really really like Molokai … but 1970s Kailua it ain’t.

Old 12-25-2021, 01:55 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,827,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawamura View Post
How about Hanalei, Kaui? Definitely rainier though.

Old 12-25-2021, 03:20 PM

51 posts, read 42,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
How about Hanalei, Kaui? Definitely rainier though.
If you want to get a charming glimpse of a Kaui that no longer exists, watch that old "The Duke" Wayne movie "Donovan's Reef". It's hilarious and the scenes of old Kaui are amazing (and sad since they're long gone). V/R
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu