Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 12:51 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,236,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by relocater2HI78 View Post
I absolutely hate Walmart. Yuck

Kapolei sounds like a good bet. I have heard it's nice.
Sorry, I had you confused with a poster who was being relocated with Walmart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 11:22 AM

285 posts, read 1,084,214 times
might hate wmart now, but you will grow to at least like it here in Hawaii, when you see some of the prices at other stores.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:08 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,834,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by relocater2HI78 View Post
I'll be working in kunia.

But I love downtown living.

Will the commute from Honolulu be too far?

I want to live in an apartment and I like to be near stuff and hear cars go by.

This is why I don't want to live in suburbia.

Is there a town that is close to Honolulu maybe so I can still get into the city fast for nightlife and such and still not be a bad commute?
Try looking in the Salt Lake area. There are tons of apartments, you're near the Freeways (H201 - headed towards town and H1 - the major east/west hwy). Salt Lake is also in between Honolulu and Central Oahu. You'll be able to get to work in a reasonable amount of time and into town for your social needs. There is close by shopping (Safeway and some restaurants) in the area and you're not too far from the Pearlridge Mall. Speaking of Pearlridge, there are quite a few apartments in that part of Aiea as well.

Old 02-04-2012, 05:09 PM

69 posts, read 269,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingAloha View Post
Try looking in the Salt Lake area. There are tons of apartments, you're near the Freeways (H201 - headed towards town and H1 - the major east/west hwy). Salt Lake is also in between Honolulu and Central Oahu. You'll be able to get to work in a reasonable amount of time and into town for your social needs. There is close by shopping (Safeway and some restaurants) in the area and you're not too far from the Pearlridge Mall. Speaking of Pearlridge, there are quite a few apartments in that part of Aiea as well.

Thanks! I was looking online to see what was in Aiea and good to know Salt Lake is near there too. That sounds like a great compromise.

Also, I will laugh about the Walmart comment. I hear there is a Target. I love Target and am thrilled there is a Target!

Old 02-04-2012, 06:11 PM

yep got Target, and Kmart too. The wallyworld comment was meant as a joke my wife also dislikes walmart. But sometimes you just have to break down and go for some things last time I was in Target day before yesterday bananas were 2.48 a pound, much cheaper at wmart and milk is about 1.50 a gal cheaper at wmart but then again if you dont mind paying the difference at other stores compared to wally world you could get your milk at the 7-11 for about 9.00 a gal.

Old 02-04-2012, 06:33 PM

69 posts, read 269,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo31958 View Post
yep got Target, and Kmart too. The wallyworld comment was meant as a joke my wife also dislikes walmart. But sometimes you just have to break down and go for some things last time I was in Target day before yesterday bananas were 2.48 a pound, much cheaper at wmart and milk is about 1.50 a gal cheaper at wmart but then again if you dont mind paying the difference at other stores compared to wally world you could get your milk at the 7-11 for about 9.00 a gal.

I guess I am glad I don't drink milk LOL.

Why can't they have cows in Hawaii produce milk and make it cheaper? lol

Old 02-04-2012, 06:57 PM

there are a couple of dairy farms in Hawaii at leat 1 on the big island and i think 1 here on Oahu dont know if the 1 here produces milk for sale or just cheese. I have found milk for as low a 2.** a gal but not very often. I guess like everything else the feed for the cattle is shipped in adding to milk costs. But I dont know.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:05 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,960,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo31958 View Post
there are a couple of dairy farms in Hawaii at leat 1 on the big island and i think 1 here on Oahu dont know if the 1 here produces milk for sale or just cheese. I have found milk for as low a 2.** a gal but not very often. I guess like everything else the feed for the cattle is shipped in adding to milk costs. But I dont know.
In Oahu, we are entirely dependant on imported dairy from other islands - but it mostly comes from the mainland. Last dairy in Oahu closed in 2008.

No local milk as last Oahu dairy closing | The Honolulu Advertiser | Hawaii's Newspaper

Old 02-05-2012, 12:02 AM

I thought there was some sort of dairy operation on a farm in Waianae called Two Sisters?? or something like that. But I think maybe they only sell butter or cheese

Old 02-05-2012, 12:14 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,081,755 times
There are two big dairies on the Big Island, one in Opolu (up in Kohala) and one in Ookala on the Hamakua coast. The Ookala dairy was sold just lately to a fellow from Idaho, I think he's from. The rumor is he's planning on making it bigger, which is good since we need more milk around here. There are a few small goat dairies and such, but they usually just produce cheese, I think.

Oahu imports almost all of it's food, the other islands not quite as much but still significantly way more than half. If the container ships stop, it will be up to the neighbor islands to feed Oahu, I'm sure, but I don't know if we have enough inter-island barges to haul enough food to Oahu if the container ships can't do it. Just a little something to keep in mind when moving to a bunch of rocks 2,500 miles out in the middle of a really big puddle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu